Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 412

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Davjs

Trusted

I remember this is the first album you rec-ed me and I thought it was pretty cool. I'm due for another listen.

Bad Frequencies and anonimito like this.
  2. Thanks for doing these! Had fun reading your thoughts on all these albums. Here's to a great 2019 in music and otherwise!

3. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

No worries! It was fun revisiting them!

4. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Well happy new year everyone! Here comes my last AOTY post. And this time it is my definite album of the year. I'm talking about Panic at the Disco - Pray for the Wicked!

C1AB6ACC-98DF-4333-A684-A40B37457350.png

This album took me by surprise, not because I didn't expect to like it, but because I didn't expect to like it THAT much. Before the year had even started, it was already set in stone in my mind that my AOTY would be the then upcoming Thrice album.

As other albums came by and faded from my listening rotation after a couple weeks, this one stuck with me since it came out in June. Every song on this album is so damn catchy and is just begging to make you dance. Then it ends with a great piano ballad titled Dying in LA. This album is proof that Brendon Urie is a master of his voice and his art. It is an incredible accomplishment that High Hopes became the highest charting single in Panic's history, so far into their (his) career.

Recommended tracks: Literally everything.

Previous AOTY posts:
    Fall Out Boy - MANIA: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 401 • forum.chorus.fm

Senses Fail - If There Is Light, It Will Find You: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 402 • forum.chorus.fm

Hawthorne Heights - Bad Frequencies: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 406 • forum.chorus.fm

Les Trois Accords - Beaucoup de Plaisir: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 408 • forum.chorus.fm

The XCERTS - Hold On To Your Heart: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 408 • forum.chorus.fm

The Fratellis - In Your Own Sweet Time: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 409 • forum.chorus.fm

Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 410 • forum.chorus.fm

Thrice - Palms: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 411 • forum.chorus.fm

Muse - Simulation Theory: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 412 • forum.chorus.fm

5. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

AOTY RECAP

Album of the year: Panic at the Disco- Pray for the Wicked

Runner-ups: Thrice - Palms
    Fall Out Boy - MANIA
    Senses Fail - If There is Light it Will Find You
    Hawthorne Heights - Bad Frequencies
    Les trois accords- Beaucoup de plaisir
    The XCERTS - Hold On To Your Heart
    The Fratellis - In Your Own Sweet Time
    Kacey Musgraves- Golden Hour
    Muse - Simulation Theory
    Dashboard Confessional- Crooked Shadows
    Underoath- Erase Me
    Atreyu- In Our Wake
    Mike Shinoda- Post Traumatic

Totally not biased opinion about best EPs because my friends play on some of them:
    Jungle Youth - Jungle Youth EP
    Sasseville- Sasseville EP
    Fall Out Boy - Lake Effect Kid EP
    Silverstein- The Afterglow / Aquamarine EP
    Greek Fire - Orientation EP
    William Ryan Key - Thirteen EP / Virtue EP

Best live album:
    I actually haven't listened to a single live album this year.

Best song of the year:
    Tough choice, but I'd say Blood on Blood or Beyond the Pines by Thrice or Dancing's not a Crime by Panic at the Disco.

Worst album I've heard:
    Three Days Grace - Outsider: I didn't expect to like it anyway.

Biggest disappointment:
    Imagine Dragons - Origins: I know they are not really liked here, but they are a band I really love. This album was just full of unmemorable filler tracks though. Seemed like a compilation of unreleased songs that were not good enough to be bonus tracks on previous albums.

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  6. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

@Davjs you should listen to the new Palisades album. It’s something you’d like

7. Davjs

Trusted

First recommendation of 2019. On it sir!

8. Davjs

Trusted

Before listening to the album, I searched their on YouTube to watch a video first. This song popped up and even though it's an older song, how could I not check it out with that thumbnail?

The song was ok until the electronics kicked in and became a "yikes, no" for me. They seemd to overbearing and IMO didn't fit the song at all.

I then watched their latest video which had a much better sound and seemed heavier which gave me faith going into the album.

Palisades - Erase the Pain
    [​IMG]

Overall this album is nothing too creative or special, but was a nice listen. As opposed to the song I heard from a previous album, this one has a better mix of electronics balanced out that never overtakes the songs. The singers voice reminds me of Breaking Benjamin sometimes and has a great clean and heavy range.

There isn't a lot to say about this album as it doesn't do anything crazy new, but does what it does well. A nice mix of heavier and slow tracks with heavy guitars and electronics mixed in. I enjoyed giving this a listen and I'll be revisiting thanks to my highlights below. Thanks @Bad Frequencies !!!

Highlights: Push, War, Patient, and the title track Erase the Pain

9. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Living album art did one for this record yesterday. For anyone not familiar they bring the artwork to life so to speak/animate it

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  10. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I agree @Davjs that the Palisades record doesn’t reinvent the wheel and it’s a pretty “by the numbers” hard rock album but it is honestly not too bad and had me bobbing along. I’ll take it a step further in that I think it’s their strongest album yet since they dropped a lot of the gimmicky things they did on their previous ones. Nice summary overall!

11. Nate_Johnson Jan 9, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2019)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

So @Davjs inspired me to continue with the CMCS in 2019 and whatever happens in here going forward I am sure it will be fantastic! I personally thought that it would be a great idea to showcase an album I discovered this past week or month in whatever capacity my busy life will let me!

Rosetta: Sower of Wind (2019)

To be fair, this record isn't one I discovered but more of the fact that I was really looking forward to it. Rosetta are a Philadelphia based band I have known since their beginnings in 2005. To those of you that know my musical tastes, it will come as no surprise that the band plays a blend of post metal/post rock like that of Isis, Neurosis and Holy Fawn. I love bands that live in both worlds of light and dark and Rosetta are no stranger to this. To steal the description from the band: "Still finding the intersection of heavy and beautiful" .

This album is very much the second half of the equation which goes to show you how much talent this band has. Michael Armine, their harsh vocalist also does the bands electronics and sampling with this feeling more in line with that. (He also has a solo album that is completely electronic and is almost a wall of sound type atmosphere) Although, according to their bandcamp page, this is all organic and comes from three of the members, which is even more impressive. This is very dialed back with both atmospheric and ambient elements. It is also completely absent of vocals, both clean and screamed, other than what sounds like a radio broadcast on the third track, West. What I understand is that this album is sort of a companion piece to their 2017 album, Utopioid, which explores nature, elements and the planet. There are only four songs on this album, titled according to the directions on a compass. The best word to describe this album is floating. As I have mentioned previously in my write ups, I have really enjoyed a lot of atmospheric music as of recent and I love how it can give you an almost, out of body experience, and this record does just that. Each song is over the 6 minute mark but it never feels that long because you are completely engaged. To be honest, I wish the record was longer.

I hope they decide to write another record with the full band this year because this was an amazing start to the new year. It is available on bandcamp only at this time or you can get the vinyl via Pelagic Records, which is actually the label run by another extremely amazing and diverse band, The Ocean, that released a record last year. On top of it all, the band did an Audiotree Session last year and that is available on YouTube and streaming.

I recommended this album to @Patterns in Traffic and he absolutely loved it and had never heard of the band before.

12. Davjs

Trusted

That is awesome!!!! I'll have to check out their page.

Yeah it reminded me of what the new Amity Affliction album did (which I listened recently to get ready for my date with them and Senses Fail), but I think AA did it a little better. Still dig the album a lot though.

13. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

i hope you got the president's permission

14. Davjs

Trusted

[​IMG]

It came from the top

15. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I hope the fact that that gif doesn't work was intentional by @Jason Tate

16. Davjs

Trusted

That would be really funny. Had no idea it didn't show up.

Bad Frequencies and Larry David like this.
  17. Davjs

Trusted

This is my recommendation to anyone who wants it. Such an epic cover to an already amazing piece of music and probably my favorite theme song for anything.

18. Davjs

Trusted

Another 1 song rec for those who want it:

A song that features only Chester from LP on vocals from Lamb of God's guitarist Mark Morton's solo album. I had no idea this was a thing and of course, Chester's vocals work amazingly with metal.

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It's like a ghost town in here!

I hope everyone has had a good new year so far! I just wanted to take a minute to highlight some of the music I have been enjoying since the beginning of the year, especially since we have had three weeks of releases.

Old Sea Brigade: Ode to a Friend
    Old Sea Brigade is the moniker of Ben Cramer and is the sole member of the band. He plays this very stripped down ambient/Americana sound that is just breathtaking and worth the listen.

Tallies: Tallies
    Tallies came out of nowhere to just blow me away with their nod to bands like The Smiths, The Sundays and The Cocteau Twins. It is just a fun record with jangly guitars and beautiful vocals. I was able to speak to the band and told them that their song "Rocks" remind me a lot of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game and they were blown away.

Check it out and see if you agree!

All the credit for the last two albums go to @KidLightning because he drew my attention to them.

This album is only 15 minutes but it is a brutal EP and brings to mind old Birds in Row or Oathbreaker. I am honestly quite surprised this French band is not signed to a bigger label yet because they are phenomenal.

The End of the Ocean: -aire
    This album is just breathtaking. The End of the Ocean are a Columbus, Ohio post rock/post metal band and this album is just breathtaking. There are no vocals, and there doesn't need to be. I loved it so much I picked up the vinyl after one listen. If you can, catch them on tour with Tides of Man.

20. Nate_Johnson Jan 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2019)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

A quick addition after catching up on my favorite YouTube channel, Dreambound.

FFO: Paramore, Tonight Alive
    Australian band that are on UNFD and release their new EP in April. I challenge you to not want to dance all over the room!

disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  21. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Our friend @mescalineeyes band False King just released a new song/video for Blood Pools, it's super solid and worth checking out.

22. Davjs

Trusted

Oh wow, this is good! I loved the instrumentation in the softer parts and did not expect it to go heavy. I love it.

Unrelated to the actual music but the music video is so awesome too. For it being done in all one shot, every shot is pretty perfect. I wonder if it was just done on a steady-cam or on a track....

23. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Thanks so much man! My friend Michelle shot this whole thing on a Sony camera placed on a gimbal.

Our inspiration for the video(s) was Fjørt’s Hotel Session.

Also shout out to my mom for decorating the set.

Bad Frequencies, skurt and Davjs like this.
  24. Davjs

Trusted

Dang, that is so impressive. Make sure to tell her that some random dude from the internet said her work is awesome!

I found a 2 song EP on spotify. Where can find the rest?

mescalineeyes and skurt like this.
  25. mescalineeyes

I wanna dance to me Prestigious

Working on it! Our old ep is up there too (decades of division) but only 3 of those songs are good. (Death throes, fourth turning and Halifax)

@skurt digs is heaps so ymmv

Davjs and skurt like this.