Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 409

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Anyways I’m sure whatever gets decided on will be fun so sign me up for whatever CMCS Version 2 ends up being.

Davjs and anonimito like this.
  2. Davjs

Trusted

I'd be down for this idea of one rotating person giving a rec to the whole group, it could be fun to see all the different reactions to one album instead of trying to guess what the person you are matched up with wants to hear, but haven't heard yet.

I got some great classic's I hadn't heard yet given to me, as well as gave out Fleetwood and Boston, so I agree on that as well :-)

anonimito and ugman_2000 like this.
  3. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

The Beatles album Revolver was definitely one of the more interesting albums I reviewed in here. Also something I doubt I would’ve ever sat down and given a proper listen to if it hadn’t of been for this thread.

Larry David, Davjs and anonimito like this.
  4. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Album No. 17:

Dom Fricot .png

Dom Fricot: Deserts

Dom Fricot is a singer/songwriter that I checked out on a whim from our very own @anonimito. Discovering him at this point in my life couldn't have been more perfect as he combines so many of the elements in music that I love: pop, ambient, 80's, soul and classical all coupled with the voice of artists such as Chris Martin and Phil Collins. On top of it all, he is very down to earth and willing to get to know each of his fans. When I reached out to him via his bandcamp, he immediately emailed me back and asked me about myself and included a poem inside the CD I purchased that we talked about back and forth for some time.

RIYL:
    Singer/Songwriter
    Phil Collins
    Pop
    Ambient
    Soul

5. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

Such a fantastic album - I'm thrilled that you enjoy it so much! :-)

Nate_Johnson likes this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Personally I think the old way was best bc it decoupled participation from music taste. People dropped out because of time, not the format, or at least that’s how it seemed to me. I do like the book club idea, but I don’t think there’s much point in choosing a new release, we already have the album threads for that and by and large people check out the same major releases each week already.

7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I agree with a lot of points but I think @disambigujason nailed it on the head. It was more about taking you out of your comfort zone and I am not sure I understand the stress of trying to tailor releases to the person. It doesn't matter what they listen to, give them something new to check out! Yes, there is always that chance that a lot of tastes will overlap but that is the chance for you to really reach far out there and find those albums that really challenged you as a listener.

No matter what happens, it will be great!

8. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

That had to have been my rec

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  9. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

I agree my favorite part of the old guard was recommending my favorites to people and some who fell in love with those albums for the first time, and me with some of theirs.

Conditions for example are very much in my wheelhouse but I never tried them or heard of them, and if not for @anonimito i never would have. Now I have a new favorite. And same with them for Starset, Blink, Hawthorne, and TBS; bands they never checked out but now liked enough to buy their albums based on my Recs or people’s reaponses to my Recs

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't want to give someone something they hate, also I didn't want to recommend the same things over and over so I wanted to save some stuff I had people in mind for

Joe4th and anonimito like this.
  11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Kevo's brother introduced me to Cecil Frena. Forever grateful to him for that.

anonimito, bachna84 and Larry David like this.
  12. BTDandFeelingThis

anonimito and Larry David like this.
  13. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

14. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

15. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

Yep, it was you. You also gave me Bleachers which I still go back to from time to time.

16. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

It'd be much better with one album for the entire group. I don't think it changes getting people out of their comfort zones at all because those albums still get recommended

makes it actually have more conversation instead of just sporadic reviews of a bunch of different albums

bachna84, ugman_2000 and Larry David like this.
  17. Great, super fun album. This one's definitely on my list. It was in @Bad Frequencies top 10 at one point too but fell off by the end of the year it seems.

Let me be clear that this is in no way a scandal, before someone attempts to turn it into one :eh:

18. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Album No. 18:

Boston Manor .png

Boston Manor: Welcome to the Neighborhood

Boston Manor returned this year swinging after 2016's Be Nothing. This album sees them still keeping their alt rock/indie roots but heading into an almost dark pop rock direction. The album in general feels heavy, not in a sense of sound, but density, which could be due in part to the production but it fits the band perfectly and seems like a genius step for them to take. Lead single, Halo, is one of my favorite songs of the year.

RIYL:
    Alt Rock
    Pop Rock

19. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

I’ll be the judge of that

20. broken22

(:

The old way is the way to go tbh.

21. GBlades

Trusted

Whoever recommended Valleyheart - great job, great job.

22. Nate_Johnson Dec 19, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 19, 2018)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

23. BTDandFeelingThis

The Justice League Of Recommenders

Davjs and anonimito like this.
  24. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

"Have you heard this band?" is our credo.

Davjs, anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  25. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Speaking of Valleyheart: