Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 406

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Davjs

Trusted

So I think this Even the Trees album sounds kind of like Blindside if they were a lot heavier. I hear it a lot in his scream, even though I think this singer's scream is better.

Am I super off base on this one?

anonimito likes this.
  2. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I hope you're not off base because now I'm excited

anonimito likes this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

I really dig it.

You'll also be happy to know I am starting Seinfeld for the first time very soon. Trying to catch up on classic stuff I have overlooked.

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

[​IMG]

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Glad you're enjoying it. I mentioned this band earlier but didn't post their latest album. Definitely worth checking out as well

6. Colin Your Enthusiasm

They were actually called Gatherer on their first 2 releases and had a different singer. Been enjoying all their stuff lately in between my singer/songwriter binge trifecta of Matthew Mayfield, Andy Shauf and Leif Vollebekk.

Nate_Johnson and anonimito like this.
  7. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Album No. 6:

The Blue Stones .png

Something I feel that has been missing in music is just a good ROCK band. On that note, let me introduce you to The Blue Stones. The duo of Tarek Jafar and Justin Tessier from Ontario make good ol' Rock n' Roll and it is fantastic. The fact that just two guys can make this groovy, bluesy, rock record amazes me. I had first heard their single, Black Holes (Solid Ground) on the Sirius XM station, Octane, and was intrigued. Once I heard the album as a whole, it completely blew me away. I love the loose theme of space on the record and it's nod to older bands like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix while also sitting alongside current bands like The Struts, The White Stripes and The Black Keys.

Some other acts worth mentioning that are doing a great job at keeping rock alive are Royal Tusk, Ghost, Highly Suspect and Badflower. I won't mention that other band that everybody is up in arms about right now. ;-)

RIYL:
    GOOD OL' ROCK N' ROLL

(This song is impressive!)

8. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Hey everyone,

Our former club staff @bachna84 is running a secret Santa for chorus this year. Any one here want in?

bachna84 likes this.
  9. Micool1

Trusted Prestigious

Time for my 3rd AOTY post. Since I was in "Recommended by @Bad Frequencies" territory for the 2nd one, I'll stay there a little and actually talk about Bad Frequencies by Hawthorne Heights.

D908C647-160E-4678-B67F-F5BCE7980484.jpeg

I was a big fan of their album Skeletons and their EP Hate back when they came out, but hadn't really paid attention to their other releases after that. This album was a nice surprise. I realize now that it should have gotten more attention from me this year. I think this is Hawthorne Heights at the top of their game. This album is full of catchy choruses and some references from past albums. There are still some screaming though and I am not a big fan of their screams.

Recommended tracks: Pink Hearts, The Perfect Way to Fall Apart, Just Another Ghost, Bad Frequencies, Skylark, Push Me Away.

Previous AOTY posts:
    Fall Out Boy - MANIA: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 401 • forum.chorus.fm

Senses Fail - If There Is Light, It Will Find You: The Chorus Music Club Society • Page 402 • forum.chorus.fm

10. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

So glad to see you post about this! :heart:

Micool1 and anonimito like this.
  11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

12. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

13. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

anonimito and Bad Frequencies like this.
  14. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

15. Colin Your Enthusiasm

16. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

17. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Album No. 7:

Rolo Tomassi.jpg

Rolo Tomassi: Time Will Die Will Die and Love Will Bury It

What if I told you there was a band who blended CHVRCHES, black metal and the chaotic sounds like that of Dillinger Escape Plan? Most wouldn't believe it to be true or that it could even work but let me tell you that Rolo Tomassi pull it off beautifully. Their secret weapon is in that of front woman Eva Spence. She can shift seamlessly between soaring melodies to gut wrenching guttural screams that would make even the most seasoned black metal vocalists drop their jaw. The album is truly a sheep in wolves clothing because the opening track, Aftermath is this beautiful synth laden track, and it's closing it just erupts into darkness and doesn't stop until the final track, Risen. I can see this record on a lot of EOTY lists because of how diverse and well written it is and I know a lot of publications have it on their list as one of the best of the year as well.

I would also like to take a second to give a shout out to Holy Roar Records for being my label of the year and putting out some of my favorite releases this year. Please go check out their roster if you haven't yet!

RIYL:
    Black Metal
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Synth Pop

18. ugman_2000

Trusted Prestigious

My album of the year and a truly remarkable piece of music, it's the only album on my AOTY list that's not moved from its position all year round. I'm really going to have to try and catch them on their next uk tour (which I hope will be early next year).

I also echo your Holy Roar sentiments, off the top of my head they've realesed great albums by Rolo, Møl, Conjurer, Svalbard, Pijn and Boss Keloid.

It's also somehow still number 2 on Metacritics albums of 2018 which for an album like that I find insane (number 1 on the list is worth a listen btw, it's a good soulful hip-hop album).

Best Music and Albums for 2018

19. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

I know! I am truly amazed that Rolo Tomassi and Architects are slightly above a giant like the 1975.

20. Colin Your Enthusiasm

This music video is NICE

21. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  22. Davjs

Trusted

"blended CHVRCHES, black metal and the chaotic sounds like that of Dillinger Escape Plan?"

Sounds intense. I'll have to remember to give them a listen......but after more Even the Trees.

23. Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

It is but it’s very good. (Both albums)

anonimito likes this.
  24. Colin Your Enthusiasm

25. Nate_Johnson Dec 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 8, 2018)
    Nate_Johnson

CCRN, MSN Prestigious

Album No. 8:

Sylar .png

Sylar: Seasons

This album may come as a surprise to many and doesn't exactly fit the rest of my list but for some reason I really enjoy it and appreciate what they are trying to do: Not reinvent the wheel. To those unfamiliar, Sylar are a nu metal band and this is their third studio album and first for Hopeless Records. To put it simply: they play a blend of music that mixes P.O.D. with that of artists such as Hollywood Undead, Issues and Too Close to Touch. I normally would never even really give artists like this a listen but the singles interested me and the overall album is really catchy and upbeat. I think the reason the album works is the dynamic between front man (rapper) Jayden Panesso and guitarist and clean vocalist Miguel Cardona. They work really well off of each other and even though Jayden may not be the best lyricist, it works as a nice alternative to screaming at you like most metalcore acts.

The band is very open about their embracing nu metal and are happy playing music they enjoy. Yes, a couple of the songs do border on "meh" but for the most part its a great album you can pop on and bounce around the room to!

RIYL:
    Nu Metal
    Issues
    Hollywood Undead
    P.O.D.