Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man Discussion (Official Web) Comic Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, May 25, 2018.

1. Tim May 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 20, 2020)
    Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

An official thread web for all general Spider-Man talk.

Other related threads:

Comic Books

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    untitled Spider-Verse sequel

Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Venom
    Spider-Man: Far From Home
    Morbius
    Venom 2

Spider-Man (on PS4)

:spiderman::venom::miles::spidey4:

Some important classic Spider-Man collections, chronologically:
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): Great Power (Amazing Fantasy #15, ASM #1-17, Annual #1)
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): Great Responsibility (ASM #18-38, Annual #2)
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): Spider-Man No More (ASM #39-52, Annual #3-4)
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): The Goblin Lives (ASM #53-67, etc.)
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): The Goblin's Last Stand (ASM #105-123, including Gwen's death)
    Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga
    Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin
    Spider-Man: The Complete Alien Costume Saga Book 1 (debut of black suit)
    Spider-Man: The Complete Alien Costume Saga Book 2
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): Kraven's Last Hunt (Peter & MJ's wedding)
    Amazing Spider-Man (Epic Collection): Venom (Venom's first appearance)
    Spider-Man: Tombstone Vol. 1

Modern Spider-Man jumping on points:
    Spider-Man: Brand New Day: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 (basically the beginning of current Spidey continuity)
    Superior Spider-Man: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 (Doc Ock as Spider-Man)
    Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 1 (Parker Industries era)
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1: Into the Twilight (Chip Zdarsky series)
    Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer Vol. 1: Back to Basics (current series)
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Vol. 1: Secrets and Rumors (other current series)

Miles Morales comics:
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Book 1 (original series, in Ultimate universe)
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Book 2
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man Ultimate Collection Book 3
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man Vol. 1: Straight Out of Brooklyn (current series, in main Marvel universe)

Other great Spider-Man-related comics:
    Black Cat
    Carnage Vol. 1: The One That Got Away
    Silk: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon

Spider-Man: Blue
    Spider-Verse (introduction of Spider-Verse concept)
    Spider-Woman: New Duds
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man Vol. 1 (comedy series starring Spider-Man's villains)
    Venom: Lethal Protector (first solo Venom story)
    Venom by Rick Remender: The Complete Collection Vol. 1 (Flash Thompson as Agent Venom)

In alternate realities:
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows Vol. 1: Brawl in the Family (Peter, MJ, & young daughter Annie)
    Peter Porker: The Spectacular Spider-Ham Complete Collection Vol. 1
    Spider-Girl: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
    (Mayday Parker, Peter & MJ's teenage daughter)
    Spider-Gwen Vol. 1 (first dozen issues in hardcover, including origin/first appearance)
    Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1
    Spider-Man: Life Story
    (What if Peter aged in real time after his 60s debut?)
    Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (teenage cast, from MJ's perspective)
    Spider-Man Noir: The Complete Collection
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 1 (original series w/ Peter Parker, pre-Miles)

Colby Searcy and RyanPm40 like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Who?

3. Tim

I think you'd dig him. He got his start in wrestling.

RyanPm40, Kingjohn_654 and Henry like this.
  4. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Excited for Spencer’s run! The Superior Foes of Spider-man is great stuff. The more Boomerang the better.

5. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Also Spidergeddon which seems to be a sequel of sorts to Edge of the Spider-verse. Hopefully they don’t mess it up.

And what’s Miles gonna do now?! Retire the suit and become Agent SPY-D??? I can’t imagine they’ll permanently retire his role as Spider-man there would be too much backlash.

6. Co-sign.

Deanna and Tim like this.
  7. Tim

I don't put any stock in that "Spy-D" rumor, lol. Especially w/ Enter the Spider-Verse in theaters in December.

There's a "Spider-Man Annual" by Bryan Edward Hill out in August that seems like it'll establish his retconned origin (since, as far as anyone besides Peter and Miles remember in-universe, Miles & company never were in 1610, thanks to Secret Wars). There's a mention of Secret Invasion in the solicitation text.

8. Dodge725

Trusted

Going to get my copy of Spider-Man:Blue signed by Tim Sale in a few weeks at a con. I had a mini freakout when I saw he was going to be there because Blue is my favorite Spidey story.

9. Tim

Mine too.

10. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Didn’t Spider-men II just reveal that the Ultimate Universe is back though? Seems like that was leading somewhere.

11. Tim

I don't think there was any specific plan other than Bendis having one last throwback to classic Ultimate Spider-Man while also restoring an element of Marvel he missed. (I remember him especially saying he missed Ultimate Jessica Drew and tried to keep her post-Secret Wars, but there wasn't room for her.)

I'm sure they'll do something eventually, though. It's a great opportunity to rope in someone who's into Marvel but wants to work in their own separate sandbox.

But, yeah, even though post-Secret Wars Miles has fluctuated in quality, I do really like him (as Spider-Man) in 616. I think Bendis had just run his course. I'm excited for whoever has him next. (Hopefully not continuing down where Bendis set him up, tbh. But I'm open to being proved wrong.)

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

@Tim We should start a series at Whatever a Spider Can similar to my "consider this" feature at Hidden Remote where I just talk about things that should happen that probably won't haha.

Tim likes this.
  13. Tim

I'm eternally behind, lol, but I could and probably eventually will write something stuff along those lines.

14. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I feel the same lately. I still need to get 8 more posts done this month to hit the quota haha. Also still need to transcribe my interview from last week with a Ann Nocenti. Oops.

15. Tim

If you like comic books, and also like my long posts here about superhero nonsense, you'll like this article about where Miles Morales is in the comics right now and where he might be down the road.

@Allpwrtoslaves, if you wanna see my longer thoughts on our Miles conversation, they're here.

Jason Tate likes this.
  16. Tim

Apparently someone on Reddit who accurately predicted some Infinity War stuff (which, let's be real, could've been inside info but also could've just been solid guesswork, lol) has a bunch of "information" about the Homecoming sequel. If true, spoilers for both Avengers 4 and the Homecoming sequel. Though, nothing is particularly earth-shattering if you pay attention, lol.

Some comments on these internet rumors:

When I first heard about the alleged "femme fatale," which blogs assumed would be Silver Sable even though Sony's already using her outside of the MCU, my first assumption and hope was Jessica Drew. I put limited stock in both that rumor and this Reddit post, but I hope they're right about her. Though, reinterpreting her as a generic spy character would be lame.

Frustratingly, it sounds like even after Tony dies, Pepper Potts is gonna be in the cast, and Stark Industries is gonna play heavily into the plot. I like the idea of there not being another MCU hero in a major support role, but if Peter can't escape Iron Man's shadow even after Stark's death, then I guess live-action Spider-Man is forever infected and ruined. Looks like Miles Morales and/or a breakdown of the Marvel/Sony relationship is my only hope.

"Apparently, there are plans to include the fishbowl helmet, but he will not wear it throughout the movie." FRICK YOU, MARVEL STUDIOS/SONY/JON WATTS/WHOEVER. Man, it feels so weird hearing about a Marvel Studios film with Jessica Drew and Mysterio, and having mixed (at best) feelings about it.

I'm guessing the background villain being teased is either Otto Octavius or Norman Osborn. I like the idea of Osborn as a major presence in the MCU, but if they're building towards the Sinister Six, I'd rather see Doc Ock as the big bad.

Non-spoiler summary: A couple cool characters in the mix, but if this random internet rumor comes true, my frustration after seeing Homecoming seems likely to grow.

(@Deanna, I found out about this via the blogosphere, so I don't know if you wanna post about it on WASC. I have mixed feelings about feeding into the rumor mill with the fan site, but I guess we kinda have to acknowledge it? lol.)

17. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I saw CBR posted about the rumors already so I tossed it in the Slack channel. Undecided if I want to post it so I'll probably have a quick chat with Cody about it and het his thoughts since he's the Entertainment Director and all haha.

Tim likes this.
  18. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

19. Tim

Not too surprising, considering we're 7 months away from that date without a finished script or any casting news. I'm glad they just removed it from their schedule instead of picking a new date, though I'm in the minority that really wants to see this movie happen. Hopefully they get a solid script and cast their leads before picking a new date.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I don't want them to abandon it, but I'm thinking of writing some features regarding this and Sony's direction in general soon. As you probably already know, I'm not super confident. I'll go see Venom, but I'm not expecting to be blown away by it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

22. Tim

Silver & Black has a low floor, but it also has so much potential to be awesome.

Unlike future Tom Holland Spidey films, which might be less likely to suck but are also very unlikely to be anything special.

23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I really want Sony to do a good job with these villain-centric films, but they're off to a weird start to say the least. I almost wish they would just wait until they have actual scripts that they'll be using before announcing things like release dates (or maybe even before announcing the films).

24. Tim

To be fair, they're taking the same approach as the other 3 major comic book movie studios, lol. The whole comic book movie world (including its accompanying internet gossip industry) is kind of a weird mess. And, Hollywood in general seems to really like picking dates for tentpoles and then forcing the films into those holes.

People react weird to things like the ever-delayed Gambit and DC's vaguely defined upcoming slate, but I'd take that over another Justice League situation. Besides, the rushed passion project thing worked for Deadpool, so it could end up working for Venom (to a lesser degree, of course, since Deadpool was lightning in a bottle for the cultural zeitgeist). Though, Silver & Black doesn't write itself as naturally, so I'm glad Gina Prince-Bythewood isn't being forced into a strict schedule. Hopefully Sony supports her instead of just tossing her project aside.

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Oh for sure. I wasn't meaning to direct that comment solely at Sony. I think it would be a nice idea for most movie studios. I think I read somewhere recently that Marvel is already having meetings for like 2025 films, so they seem fairly organized there. But that's also probably not the norm. I have no idea, I just find that a lot of things that the entertainment industry does as a whole doesn't always make sense.

Tim likes this.