Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Melody Bot Mar 13, 2015
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2021)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Wednesday is new comic day!

Massive post. To start the thread off, we are going to have a recommendations list from posters. If you'd like to add anything, post it or PM me and we can add it to the list. We're all friends here so be sure to include your name. Each rec comes with links for the first volume of each book via instocktrades and Amazon.

Comic Shop Locator
    INSTOCKTRADES: typically the cheapest place to pick up available trades
    COMICVINE: Great place for all your comic book news and previews
    Marvel Unlimited: the best way to acclimate yourself to the Marvel universe(s). For $10 a month you can read anything from the last 60 years of Marvel.

Be sure to post your weekly pull list in the replies!

Alias (MARVEL MAX)
    W: Brian Michael Bendis
    A: Michael Gaydos
    Before Miles Morales, before House of M, Bendis gave us private eye Jessica Jones. A super-powerful and snarky, yet confused and insecure, woman navigate Marvel's New York City in a mature reader's series was so much more fulfilling than I could have guessed. The new perspective on the world was wonderful, and the character at the center immediately became an all-time favorite of mine. -Tim
    InStockTrades Amazon

Aquaman (2011) (DC)
    W: Geoff Johns
    A: Ivan Reis & Joe Prado
    Since coming to DC Comics Geoff Johns has completely revamped some of DC's lesser known characters and Arthur Curry is no different. Gone are the days of Aquaman sporting long hair and a gnarly beard, gone are the days of Aquaman's only power being "talking to fish", gone are the days of Aquaman being 'lame' and not true member of the Justice League, now are the days of Aquaman being a badass and showing just how awesome of a character he truly is. -Colby
    InStockTrades Amazon

Batman (2011) (DC)
    W: Scotty Snyder
    A: Greg Capullo
    Scott Snyder is a master of the slow burn, very character driven and features great dialogue. And as expected from a batman book, utterly compelling. Absolutely gorgeous illustrations and colors. It's a beauty to look at. The whole run is fantastic, but the Endgame arc is something else. -Dylan
    InStockTrades Amazon

Batman: The Long Halloween (DC)
    W: Jeph Loeb
    A: Tim Sale
    When I first started getting into comic just a couple years ago, I mainly started by diving into Batman. It took me a while to get to this one, but it instantly blew me away. Jeph Loeb crafts a story with some great twists] and we get a great villain story that doesn't include much of the Joker at all. - Deanna
    InStockTrades Amazon

Batwoman: Elegy (DC)
    W: Greg Rucka
    A: J.H. Williams III
    Reinvented for the present day, Batwoman is Kate Kane, a former Army Cadet fighting crime in Gotham. When a mysterious woman named Alice threatens to murder the people of Gotham, Batwoman must act fast to defeat her new foe. The book is absolutely gorgeous and covers homosexuality in the military in a way I hadn't seen before. -Henry
    InStockTrades Amazon

Black Science (IMAGE)
    W: Rick Remender
    A: Matteo Scalera
    Grant McKay creates a device that allows him to travel to alternate dimensions; his goal: to find cures for disease, hunger - whatever problems the world might be facing. When the device malfunctions & strands him & his team in a random dimension, they are forced to fight for their survival against increasingly violent & terrifying creatures as the devices randomly sends them from alternate world to alternate world with seemingly no hope of ever getting home. -Nicholas
    InStockTrades

Deadly Class (IMAGE)
    A: Wes Craig
    This series starts out on a fairly "basic" premise: Marcus Lopez - once an orphan, living on the streets - becomes a member of the Kings Dominion School for the Deadly Arts. A loner at the beginning, he is forced to forge friendships with various members of the assassin groups in school to better his chances of survival & "graduating." As the story progresses, we learn about how Marcus came to be an orphan, his desire for revenge, and his deep-running depression & how that all affects his relationships with everyone he comes in contact with. This series is an incredible look at depression & the desire to belong, yet want to be an individual. Rick Remender has commented many times about how his being raised in the punk community in Arizona in the 80s has a huge influence on this book. -Nicholas
    Amazon

Deadpool (2012) (MARVEL)
    W: Gerry Duggan/Brian Posehn
    A:Tony Moore (#1-6), Mike Hawthorne (#8-12, 21-25, 35-45), various
    Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn's run of Deadpool does everything right by the titular character, and is a return to his darker roots. If for nothing else, check out "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" arc. I can never stop recommending this arc, you wouldn't expect a book about a chimichanga loving mercenary to be so emotionally compelling. The Dead presidents arc which opens up the run is fairly average, but it definitely picks up afterwards. A note of caution the art in this series fluctuates frequently from good (Hawthorne), to downright ugly at points due to the flux of artists who take the helm at various points. -Dylan
    InStockTrades Amazon

Hawkeye (2012) (MARVEL)
    W: Matt Fraction
    A: David Aja
    This series is better than it has any reason to be, I mean who really needs to see what Hawkeye does in his downtime when he isn't avengening. As it turns out, a great writer can make even a series that should be mundane fascinating to read. Fraction and Aja's run has concluded, but the followup series "All-New Hawkeye" more or less follows the events in this book and looks promising as well. -Dylan
    InStockTrades Amazon

Locke & Key (IDW)
    W: Joe Hill
    A: Gabriel Rodriguez
    This is the book that got me into comics 5 years ago, and what a book it is. When your father is Stephen King, you sure have enormous shoes to fill but luckily the apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree. In one of the most original and fully fleshed out stories in recent memory we have Locke & Key. A story about a family that moves into a mysterious house and discover secret keys that have abilities to do various things(from opening your head and changing memories to being dead and having your soul float around outside of your body to many more). From Hill's writing chops to Rodriguez's art, this is truly a book that you must not miss. -Colby
    InStockTrades Amazon

Love and Rockets: Locas
    (FANTAGRAPHICS)
    W/A: Jaime Hernandez
    Los Bros Hernandez have been producing Love and Rockets work since the 80s, but it's Jaime's half that I want to highlight here. Maggie and Hopey's ongoing "Locas" saga is a delicious mix of the punk rock scene, vintage Archie, obscure Golden Age comics, professional wrestling, Chicanx life, and more. -Tim
    Reading Guide Amazon

Manifest Destiny (IMAGE)
    W: Chris Dingess
    A: Stefano Gaudiano
    A 100% true account of Lewis & Clark's journey through undiscovered America... monsters, man-eating plants, & giant fish-creatures were all real, right? -Nicholas
    InStockTrades

Nailbiter (IMAGE)
    W: Joshua Williamson
    A: Mike Henderson
    These days if you are looking for something different that isn't Superhero related, Image comics is the place to go. They have a book for every taste and Nailbiter is no different, when it comes to horror comics, Nailbiter is a must read for any fan. When NSA agent Nick discovers his partner and friend missing, he must solve the mystery in the town of Buckaroo, Oregon, a town that has given birth to 16 of the world's most vile serial killers. Will Nick make it out alive? Will he discover there is more to this town than meets the eye? Tune in monthly to find out! -Colby
    InStockTrades Amazon

Pretty Deadly (IMAGE)
    W: Kelly-Sue DeConnick
    A: Emma Rios
    A western-style, magically real series with amazing, sprawling, breathtaking art and creatively intriguing lore and mythology. There's only one Volume out of this series as of now, but more is coming this fall. Death's daughter is the main character of this story, and she's out for revenge. -Nick
    InStockTrades Amazon

Punk Rock Jesus (Vertigo)
    W: Sean Murphy
    A: Sean Murphy
    Sean Murphy writes and draws this six issue mini series that blends religion and politics extremely well. Focusing on a reality TV show in which the second coming of Jesus Christ is cloned, Punk Rock Jesus takes you on a wild ride from start to finish. The character work here is stunning, and you really care about everyone by the end. Murphy's pencils are absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think having the art colored would add anything at all to the book. I've read the book yearly since it came out (2013) and don't plan on stopping anytime soon. - Ben
    InStockTrades Amazon

Red Sonja (2013) (DYNAMITE)
    W: Gail Simone
    A: Walter Geovanni
    Red Sonja has a rich history as the Red Devil, battling the world's worst monsters. Simone's take paints Sonja in a light that can be celebrated. Rather than simply being over-sexualized, this Sonja proves that she is no piece of meat. She may always put herself first, but always defends those who have been wronged. The story empowers women in a way the series hadn't seen before. -Henry
    InStockTrades Amazon

Revival (IMAGE)
    W: Tim Seeley
    A: Mike Norton (also worth noting all of Jenny Frison's cover art is beautiful)
    One of the first series that got me into the world of comic books. This series is a zombie-like series where those who come back from the dead act as if they were normal people. Set in rural Wisconsin, Seeley and Norton do a great job of creating a grim, mysterious atmosphere with some really great and memorable characters. -Nick
    InStockTrades Amazon

Saga (IMAGE)
    W: Brian K Vaughn
    A: Fiona Staples
    The other series that roped me in. This series features a newlywed couple from opposing sides of an intergalactic war who are struggling to raise and protect their child while being hunted by both of their original nations. Beautiful art by Staples and amazingly well-written characters by Vaughn. Also important: Lying Cat. -Nick
    InStockTrades Amazon

Shutter (IMAGE)
    W: Joe Keatinge
    A: Leila Del Duca
    Think Indiana Jones set thousands of years in the future, featuring an incredibly strong woman lead character. Follow Kate as she struggles to figure out her father's mysterious past, all the while evading the horde of aliens & secret societies trying to kill her. This series is full of insane, off the wall characters and some of my absolute favorite art in comics right now (maybe only second to deadly class). This story feels like some sort of acid trip as it goes along - and might be the only thing to make me think that it would be cool to have an alarm clock cat as a sidekick. -Nicholas
    InStockTrades

Spider-Man: Blue (MARVEL)
    W: Jeff Loeb
    A: Tim Sale
    Peter Parker has been my favorite superhero since I watch the 90s cartoon as a child. His college years as originally told by Lee and Romita are my favorite era of the character. Tim Sale at his best is my favorite comic book artist. So, on a purely subjective level, no comic captures why I love superheroes as well as this book. It's a vibrant blast of pure amazing fantasy. -Tim
    Amazon

Superior Foes of Spider-Man (MARVEL)
    W: Nick Spencer
    A: Steve Lieber
    "This guy, right?" Fred Myers is Boomerang, a D-list Spider-Man villain with delusions of grandeur. This story is about him and the other four members of the Sinister Six (yes, there are five of them) as they bumble through the New York criminal underground. The dialogue and shenanigans are hilarious. By the end, you'll almost be rooting for poor Fred. -Tim
    InStockTrades Amazon

Swamp Thing (2000) (VERTIGO)
    W: Brian K. Vaughan
    A: Roger Petersen
    It was difficult for me to pick a BKV book, seeing how they are all wonderful, but this one is a different kind of great. It takes the lore of Swamp Thing and Abigal but gives us a completely different dynamic. The story instead revolves around their daughter, Tefe. She shares many of Hollands abilities with a bit of a darker ideology. -Henry
    InStockTrades Amazon

Tokyo Ghost (IMAGE)
    A: Sean Murphy
    My favourite comic book written by my favourite comic book writer and illustrated by one of my favourite artists. "The series is set in 2089, a time when humanity is addicted to technology and entertainment. It follows the story of constables Debbie Decay and Led Dent, working as peacekeepers in the Isles of Los Angeles. They are given a job that will take them to the last tech-free country on Earth: the garden nation of Tokyo. Remender summarizes it as being "a big, visual, exciting story that at the heart of it is hiding the fact that it's really a love story."" - SpyKi
    Amazon

Ultimate Spider-Man (MARVEL)
    A: Mark Bagley
    Thank goodness for Marvel Unlimited, because I binge read the crap out of this series. I finished all 133 issues in about 2 weeks. While that may not fit everyone's definition of "binge reading," it was a lot for me. BMB made Peter Parker such a joy to read and I loved the art from Mark Bagley. - Deanna
    Amazon

The Umbrella Academy (DARK HORSE)
    W: Gerard Way
    A: Gabriel Bá
    Pretty much Gerard Way does X-Men. It's amazing. - SpyKi
    Amazon

Uncanny X-Men (2013) (MARVEL)
    A: Chris Bachalo; Kris Anka; various
    The Cyclops at the center of this story is often called a terrorist, but I prefer activist. Scott Summers isn't a villain for defying SHIELD and threatening oppressors with violence after decades of attempting dialogue. In an era of Trump and BLM, I find it easy to say, "Cyclops was right." -Tim
    InStockTrades

Vision (MARVEL)
    W: Tom King
    A: Gabriel Hernandez Walta
    Incredible story based on the idea of The Vision, of Avengers fame, trying to live a normal family life with a wife and two children that he created. Constantly surprising and engaging, I didn't expect this to go most of the places it did and it's easily one of the best things I've read since I got into comics. - SpyKi
    Amazon

Y: The Last Man (VERTIGO)
    W: Brian K. Vaughan
    A: Pia Guerra
    This is a series that I have yet to finish, but after reading the first two books, I'm hooked. BKV brings a unique, interesting story to the table. Once you start one of the books, you won't want to put it down. There is literally one man left, and you can image how many interesting turns that can take. - Deanna
    Amazon

Let's party.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

My favorite day of the week.

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

on my birthday, i need to splurge and get the rest of Williams/Blackman's run on Batwoman that I don't have

4. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

kind of took a break over the past year due to finances.

what are some of the best books out right now? i'm typically not a huuuge marvel guy (love ms. marvel though).

5. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

My first post of the site is here!

...besides my post in the former prestigious users thread.

Second post of the site is here!

This is xJesusFreakx, by the way. I wanted a less ridiculous name and couldn't pass up getting dibs on "Tim."

6. AndrewSoup

Matt Fraction/David Aja's run on Hawkeye

7. GettingSodas

Chorus.fm Resident Soda Expert Prestigious

Guys, how's Merc for Money?

8. Tim

Best Marvel titles right now (it's much of my pull list, so yeah):

Ms. Marvel (You're already reading this.)
    Silver Surfer (It's bizarre, funny, charming, and as visually swell as you'd expect from Mike Allred.)
    Spider-Woman (She just gave birth after a few issues of pregnancy, and the whole angle has been handled great.)
    Spider-Man (Bendis and Pichelli telling more Miles Morales tales. 'Nuff said.)
    Black Widow (Just one issue in, but Chris Samnee's work is stellar.)
    (maybe) Black Panther (Starts next month, written by Ta-Nehisi Coates so probably great.)

I wouldn't read any DC until Rebirth this summer, when everything changes. Though, the unrelated Legend of Wonder Woman 9-issue series is a gorgeous retelling of her backstory.

For Image, I'm pulling Paper Girls, Saga, Pretty Deadly, and Monstress, and I really enjoy all of them.

I'm pretty sure the request was for current titles, and that ended last year. Brilliant series, though. One of my favorites of all time.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  9. AndrewSoup

fuuuuck, i forgot that ended already! i don't pull single issues weekly, i just get TPBs when they come out, it's a lot easier on me.
    also, really enjoyed Azarello's run on Wonder Woman. another run that i need to buy the rest of

10. Tim

So good. If you liked it, when Renae De Liz's Legend of Wonder Woman is collected, you should hit that up. I like it no less than Azzarello's run and could see it appealing to fans of that title.

Also, if you miss Cliff Chiang's art from that title, he's on Paper Girls, if you didn't know.

11. AndrewSoup

i'll have to pick up Paper Girls, i've seen that title before a few times!

12. Tim

13. AndrewSoup

oh yeah, and Brian K Vaughan writing! i think i put that on my Amazon wishlist! anything by BKV is a must-read for me

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Oh hey, this is more active than our other thread. lol

15. Tim

Last night, I realized Chorus is like a Marvel or DC relaunch and told Jason to do one every few years.

16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Hahaha that is basically something that has been happening. Except every offshoot has failed.

17. Tim

I'm just waiting for the big Crisis War of Infinite Secret, when AP.net and Chorus collide and include the spinoffs PoZ, Sun on the Sand (IWasaCamera and company's old blog), etc.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Tim

The Return of the Black Panther (by Ta-Nehisi Coates)

[​IMG]
    (more pages from the comic in the above link)

I'm so excited for this series.

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Really looking forward to that. I haven't read a BP book before.

Tim likes this.
  20. US Camera

A Humble Snail Prestigious

What's good with Marvel right now? Reading the Miles book, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, and Hulk

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Ms. Marvel, Vision, Squirrel Girl, ANAD Wolverine, Avengers, Howard the Duck

22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Reposting from AP.

Put in a big order that came out pretty cheap.

Southern Bastards #1 & 2
    Chew #3 & 4
    Tokyo Ghost #1
    Superman Unchained
    Black Canary #1
    Justice League #6

In all it only came to $66.

23. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Southern Bastards is sooo good

24. US Camera

A Humble Snail Prestigious

Nice, thanks! I think I'll stick to buying the ones I'm buying and torrenting these for now and buying trades later

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I've heard nothing but glowing reviews for it. Also helps that it is only $6 for each volume.