Venom (Ruben Fleischer; October 5, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Joe Mar 16, 2017
    (Last edited: May 19, 2017)
    Joe

@josephh513

2. oakhurst

Trusted

If it's not connected to the MCU then they should cancel it. You need Spider-Man for Venom. Sony already has a live-action Spidey and will have an animated one, too. Are they going to have a 3rd spider-man? Stupid

3. Anthony_D'Elia Mar 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 16, 2017)
    Anthony_D'Elia

. . . Supporter

lol They gave the director's job for one of the most beloved characters in comics to one of the two idiots that gave us The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Jeez, has Sony learned nothing from getting involved with the MCU?

Davjs likes this.
  4. sponsor
  5. Joe

@josephh513

6. Anthony_D'Elia

. . . Supporter

Davjs likes this.
  7. Tim

Bite your tongue, impetuous one! Prestigious

The only bad thing about this project is that the release date is two and a half months before the animated Miles Morales film. Going from a Peter appearance in May 2018's Infinity War (though we have no idea how much he'll actually be in that crowded project) to a Venom film in October 2018, to Miles Morales in December 2018, to the Homecoming sequel in July 2019 (and who knows if Peter also appears yet again in some capacity in Avengers 4 in May 2019). As an avid Spider-Man fan, I am 100% happy, and even excited, at the prospect of that much Spider-cinema... but, from a business perspective, it seems unwise.

Still, a Venom film outside of the MCU sounds generally like a great idea. I personally don't care if no Kevin Feige means the worst case scenario is hot mess instead of an inoffensive, vanilla popcorn film. If they keep the budget relatively low and get reasonably dark and scary, leaning into the McFarlane aesthetic, this will be a super cool project. I'd even take a reinvention that straight up ignores Spidey altogether if it means they can get away with more.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I want this movie to be similar to Spawn. lol

Tim likes this.
  9. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Newest rumor going around is that the film "Life" that comes out next week is a secret prequel to this, hence the quicker than normal release date for "Venom". Word is that Sony's been planning this for some time now.

10. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors Supporter

Can't help myself when I see anything about Spawn, but I want a feature length along the lines of this fan film.

11. Joe

@josephh513

Highly unlikely, but it would've made me interested in Life lol.

12. Tim

lol, can you imagine if they had somehow thought a secret comic book prequel was a good idea?

coleslawed likes this.
  13. Joe

@josephh513

I would've admired the audacity at least. Also, Life is rated R, so unless Sony plans to make an R-rated Venom movie, the theory makes even less sense.

14. Tim

Honestly, I'd totally be down with an R-rated Venom movie. I don't want gimmicky edginess or whatever, but a relative low budget, restrained R-rated Venom movie with a lot of horror influence would be super cool.

Of course that's totally not what's gonna happen, lol. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a weird part of the Marvel/Sony deal that limits what they can do with the Spider-Man property, even in a film not in the MCU and not featuring Spidey himself.

15. Joe

@josephh513

I'd be down with it too. Not sure if Sony is willing to take that kind of chance like Fox has, though it being unrelated to the MCU should give them more incentive to be a little risky. And ya, I have no idea what that Marvel/Sony deal allows or doesn't allow.

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

that don't impress me much Prestigious

From Scripting ‘Deadpool’ to Creating ‘Life’: Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick on Naming Their Alien and That ‘Venom’ Theory

17. Tim

The untitled female-fronted Spider-character project in development pre-MCU deal is also still happening. It's a Black Cat and Silver Sable film. Christopher Yost (Thor: Ragnarok; X-23) is working on the script, which was previously developed by Lisa Joy.

Like the Venom film, this project will reportedly not be connected to the MCU; unlike Venom, it doesn't have a date, hence me not making a thread for it yet.

I can't decide if I like Black Cat being used outside of the MCU, but I do like the idea of Silver Sable getting that treatment. I also don't know how much I like these characters being thrown together, but maybe there's a cool story with a lot of intrigue that could be written for the two of them.

Sony developing Spider-Man spin-off about Black Cat and Silver Sable
    Sony's Spider-Man Spinoffs Reportedly Unrelated To The MCU

18. Tim

19. Joe

@josephh513

If they make it R-rated, I'm sold.

20. Henry

Moderator Moderator

21. Tim

HENRY WHAT ARE YOU DOING POSTING AN APRIL FOOLS ARTICLE A MONTH LATER AND NEARLY BREAKING MY HEART IN THE PROCESS GOSH DARN IT

coleslawed likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I thought it said 5/1. WHOOPSIES.

Tim likes this.
  23. Tim

I do think that Zac Efron would make a good Marvel character, but not Venom, lol.

I really hope that they take advantage of this being separate from the MCU (and seemingly any other film and Spider-Man as a whole), which can and should be an advantage more than a disadvantage. One standalone film, with a sequel maybe a few years later or so, could attract an actor that would be resistant to signing onto a half dozen MCU/DCEU/X-Men appearances from the start. A lot of actors out there seem interested in jumping on the comic book bandwagon but wary of the commitment necessary for these big franchises.

Basically, I just really want a Tom Hardy or Idris Elba as Eddie Brock. Maybe that's unrealistic, but it'd be perfect.

24. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Will probably end up with John Cena

Henry likes this.
  25. Tim

The somewhat unfair uphill battle this is gonna face as a Marvel property outside of the MCU is another reason I really want some great casting, tbh.

26. tucah

formerly gonfreaks Prestigious

carrytheweight, coleslawed and Tim like this.