Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by jkauf, Apr 13, 2016.

1. jkauf Apr 13, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017)
    jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

Did you love Spider-Man: Homecoming? Do you wanna take a break from the never-ending Holland/Garfield/Maguire debate to check out the spectacular world of comic books that inspired this friendly neighborhood web-slinger's cinematic adventures? You're in luck! The Chorus comic book thread's community has assembled some accessible recommendations perfect for anyone who wants to dive into the wide world of Spider-Man! Or, if you're already a fan, let us know what other comics people should check out!

Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection Vol. 1
    Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
    Artist: Mark Bagley
    Buy from Amazon.

If you've ever been interested in checking out Spider-Man comics but were intimidated by how long the main series has been running and how many different books he has, I highly recommend checking out Ultimate Spider-Man. It's mostly self contained, so you don't need to worry about any tie ins or continuity confusion. It begins with the origin story and follows high school aged Peter Parker (just like Homecoming), showing him trying to balance his personal life with being Spider-Man. Bendis does a great job writing the character and nails the quips, while having Bagley's art consistently for over 100 issues gives the book a visual identity that not a lot of Marvel books get to establish. The ending of the series also flows right into the introduction of Miles Morales, which is another must read run for Spider-Man fans. - @SpyKi

Spider-Man: Blue
    Writer: Jeph Loeb
    Artist: Tim Sale
    Buy from Amazon.

There is not a better self-contained distillation of classic Spider-Man than this 6-issue miniseries by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. Based on the mid-60s work of Stan Lee and John Romita on Amazing Spider-Man, this story focuses on Peter Parker's early college years, specifically the beginnings of his relationship with Gwen Stacy. Sale and colorist Steve Buccellato bring the bold costumes of Spidey and foes like the Vulture and Green Goblin to brilliant life in dynamic action sequences. When the story truly shines, though, is when they get to bring their vibrant style to Peter, Gwen, MJ, Harry, and Flash. The whole story drips of nostalgia, both because it's based on comics half a century old and because it's narrated by Peter years after the now iconic fate Gwen would one day meet. - @Tim

Superior Foes of Spider-Man
    Writer: Nick Spencer
    Artist: Steve Lieber
    Buy from Amazon.

Spider-Man gets all the attention, but what about his foes? The Superior Foes of Spider-Man puts the spotlight on some of the D-Listers in Spidey's Rogues Gallery, and it couldn't be more fun. Told from the point of view of Boomerang, the book follows the new Sinister Six(Five???) team as they plan a heist to steal a robotic head from The Owl. Superior Foes really shines when it looks into the monotony of the villians' off-the-clock lives: Trips to see the lawyer, going on dates, and participating in 12 step programs. Nick Spencer's sarcastic brand of humor works well for these hapless bad guys, and Superior Foes is a great book to pick up if you're looking for something a little different in the Spider-Verse. - @dadbolt

Damage Control: The Complete Collection
    Writer: Dwayne McDuffie
    Artist: Ernie Colón, various
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon.

Dwayne McDuffie and Ernie Colón team up on the majority of the issues of Damage Control. They did three separate mini-series, and they all tied together a bit. Spider-Man makes an appearance in two of the issues. With some form of the company set to appear in the upcoming movie, those issues give a good look at how Spidey interacts with the company. He keeps them in mind when fighting Thunderball in one issue. With these issues taking place in the late 80s and early 90s, it’s a bit of a longer read at times since they packed a bit more narrative in back then. That said, it’s well worth a read. I honestly had no clue “Damage Control” existed before reading this, but it makes total sense that someone would be cleaning up the messes left behind in the superhero world. - @Deanna

Amazing Spider-Man: Worldwide Vol. 1
    Writer: Dan Slott
    Artist: Guiseppe Camoncoli
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon.

At the end of 2015, Marvel relaunched their titles after the massive event Secret Wars, including Amazing Spider-Man. Although this is a new series with a new number one, it is a continuation of Dan Slott's epic run (the longest run ever) on ASM, about nine years so far! With that being said, it is accessible to new readers. Fans have been saying Peter is the new Tony Stark. He has different Parker Industries (his company that makes advanced tech) locations all around the world and claims to the public that Spider-Man is Peter's body guard. The story balances Peter's personal life and his work at the company, along with him being Spider-Man battling major threats. In this first arc, a classic villain, Zodiac, returns and is more diabolical than ever. This is truly an epic that has been building since Slott started writing the series and is great for all readers. The art is gorgeous, and the legendary Alex Ross does all the covers. This is not your average Spidey story, but a modern take on the ever-changing friendly neighborhood Spider-Man! - @xapplexpiex

Raku likes this.
  2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I heard great things about Spider-Man in Civil War from one of my favorite critics, so I'm cautiously excited. I'm sure the Marvel/Disney machine will put out something better than the Webb movies, but I hope it's more than just a safe Marvel/Disney movie.

Raku likes this.
  3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That logo and title is god-awful, though.

4. Aj LaGambina

Hey man, we all can't be like you Supporter

I can not wait. I hated the Raimi Trilogy, thought that Webb's films had a shit ton of good ideas but between studio issues and just bad editing, they fell flat. From everything I've seen/heard, this is going to be the best possible version of the webhead we're gonna get.

5. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

Already there's mention that what they showed at the unveiling included a scene with Tony Stark. So from the start the world is going to be much bigger than how it's been in the past Spider Man movies.

Raku likes this.
  6. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Not sure what to think. The dudes penning this don't give me much encouragement that this will be good.

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Heard some rumblings that we're getting Vulture as the villain in this film.

8. Nathan

There's a report that Vulture will be in it, not confirmed that he's the main villain.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Please go with the Spidey 3 idea of John Malkovich as Vulture.

Eric likes this.
  10. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

I'm still waiting for the day we get Carnage in a movie or at least a good Venom.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

To what end? Carnage doesn't have a whole lot going for him in terms of characterization. He just wants to kill things. Not a great motivation at all.

The great thing about Raimi's series were all of the external factors that turned these guys into bad guys. It wasn't just throwing them in there to have a few fight scenes. Carnage and Cletus aren't characters you can understand. They're just assholes.

12. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

The way I see it Carnage is to Spiderman what Joker is to Batman. More of a force of nature than anything else. Plus I get tired of seeing these villains that always have sob stories behind their actions, which was my biggest complaint about the Raimi films (especially the last one).

That and if done right, after the introduction of Venom it would provide a big enough reason to have Spiderman and Venom ally themselves.

nl5011 likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

They are always going to go with the Eddie Brock Venom. I don't see them moving beyond that. I don't see them allying at all, though the stand-alone Venom movie is still rumored to be a thing. If they do anything with Carnage, it'll likely be a part of the Venom film. Even then, I'm not thrilled with the idea.

Not a shot toward you, but I feel like people think these monster like creatures bent on destruction is going to make a good film, but it sounds like it'd be devoid of any semblance of a story. With Marvel having a hand in it, it isn't going down like that.

We'll see. I'll probably see it no matter what.

Raku likes this.
  14. Nathan

The Joker isn't just a force of nature. He represents a philosophy that challenges Batman. Villains that are just unstoppable monsters have traditionally translated poorly onscreen (Doomsday in BvS comes to mind). It leads to action with little emotional investment, which doesn't impact audiences. If you're going to go that route, then the villain has to really impede Peter's social and personal lives, so that the action isn't just about Peter fighting a cool looking monster, but it's about him doing so at the expense of his friends and family. I don't care if Carnage is ever used as a Spider-Man villain cinematically, but if they were to go that route I just don't see a whole lot you can do with that (at least by itself). Even the most thin Marvel villains have personalities, however generic (Jeff Bridges in Iron Man), because Marvel/Disney specialize in character driven conflicts (not that they nail it every single time, but that's mostly been their strategy).

therookielot, GettingSodas and Raku like this.
  15. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

An agent venom film could be decent. Please no Carnage.

Also Green Goblin is Spider-Man's Joker if we're playing that game.

Carnage is more Clayface.

Raku and suburban myth like this.
  16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Clayface could work as a one off fight to start a film, similar to the battle in Age of Ultron or something. Carnage couldn't even be that imo. That is a character that needs some backstory, as flat as it is.

Raku and Nick like this.
  17. heartbeatsbrain

Regular

For me the triangle that exists between Spiderman, Venom, and Carnage served as an interesting character deconstruction. You have Spiderman as the moral figure who learned from a mistake, Venom is Spiderman without Uncle Ben, and Carnage lacks it all.

I agree as a solo villain he wouldn't work. He's lacks character complexity. But as something that is used to bring Venom from villain status to more of an antihero, while also showing Spidermans limitations it works.

18. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Carnage would work as an opening villain in a sequel. You set up the symbiote in the first, few nods to another symbiote. Put him in the opening ten minutes, destroy him and move on to a worthy villain

Raku likes this.
  19. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

i just watched Vacation, these writers' last movie this weekend. It sucked. But horrible bosses was cool. I think it's a good strategy for this franchise to get comedy writers.

20. Nathan

Sony still has exclusive rights to Venom and is developing a movie around him independent of Spider-Man, which I'm not sold on because without the context of Spider-Man, Venom doesn't mean a whole lot.

I wouldn't be opposed to the symbiote story, but it requires more build up and this is the first film for this Spider-Man. Maybe in a few years Marvel will have the rights to Venom.

Raku likes this.
  21. Why would they want to do Vulture? I can't imagine how it would translate well into film.

Do freakin' Mysterio already!

Owlex likes this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Always thought Toxin had the coolest design of the lot.

[​IMG]

Or Venom Rocket

[​IMG]

Ryan and Raku like this.
  23. Blake Solomon

Mr. Emeritus Prestigious

i think carnage works in a serialized format very well, like in a comic or tv show. But he works becuase he's vicious and also creepy. I think it'd be difficult to build him up to be so scary in a single movie. Can't deny he looks awesome though!

Raku likes this.
  24. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I would assume he would have ties to Falcon, easy introduction of Avengers cameos. Heartstrings tug that Vulture is actually Falcons mentor or something. I guess.

Raku likes this.
  25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

The plot of the film is supposedly going to revolve around Tony 'showing him the ropes'. Having Iron Man and Spidey doing battle with Vulture sounds fucking awesome imo.

Raku and Why Bother? like this.