Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: El-P - I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Aug 23, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

Another week has gone by. Another Sunday is upon us and it is time to dig into the vault of hip hop classics and discuss an album that is up there as a standard bearer for all things hip hop. This week, we have an underground/independent hip hop legend. A man who part of one of the seminal underground hip hop groups of the 90s, put out three classic solo albums (as well as produce another classic in Cannibal Ox’s A Cold Vein) and is now on top of his game as half of one of the best modern day hip hop duos currently out there. I am of course talking about El-P and his 2007 album I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead...

02C89181-45B0-45D3-BBE4-9A70EAF8B6C7.jpeg

A very much singular voice in hip hop with a production style that is unlike anyone else’s. What’s your favourite track? Has he ever topped this?

@Henry to pin

Past classic threads...

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Fugees - The Score • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: OutKast - Stankonia • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Madvillain - Madvillainy • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Missy Elliot - Miss E... So Addictive • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) • forum.chorus.fm

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

dude rules. constantly entertaining

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"The Overly Dramatic Truth" is one of my favourite songs of all time

4. OotyPa

fall away

Never listened to this record. Will definitely do so tomorrow.

5. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Tasmanian Pain Coaster all the way

Rowan5215 likes this.
  6. PauLo

43% Burnt

The first 5 songs on this are my favourite run of songs on an album ever (closely followed by the first 3 tracks off The Red Album by Baroness). This came out not long after I started getting into underground hip hop and changed everything for me. I immediately went back and listened to Fantastic Damage, the first Company Flow album and The Cold Vein and have been one of the his biggest fans since.

His production on this is flawless. I remember being very impressed that the features on this didn't change his sound in any way and that the track with Trent Reznor didn't sound like NIN or the tracks with the lads from Mars Volta didn't sound like Mars Volta. Despite liking those bands, that was important to me at the time for some reason haha

I felt almost proud when RTJ started to help him get the recognition he deserves. He's yet to put out a bad project and for someone who's been in the game for over 25 years, that's fucking impressive.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  7. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

WHY SHOULD I BE SOBER WHEN GOD IS SO CLEARLY DUSTED OUT HIS MIND

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This has always been my third favorite solo release of his, but I haven't listened in years. I'll have to give it a spin today.

9. PauLo

43% Burnt

Well, this didn't take off like I expected it to haha.

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

honestly a little curious about the decision... These threads started as a way to showcase black talent... Why a white guy? I love El-P and think he is a great ally. I just think this one is kind of a miss.

OotyPa likes this.
  11. PauLo

43% Burnt

Yeah, good point. Kinda fucked up with this one.

Although I was positive the RTJ connection would have garnered more interest than this.

12. OotyPa

fall away

Agreed with above but I did check out this album today, and it’s pretty unbelievable. The production is out of this world.

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I love the guy, and it's a great album, but is it really a classic? Maybe, but if I were to introduce someone to hip hop there's at least 100 other classics I'd recommend before even considering getting to this one.

Edit: Not trying to criticize the selection or anything, just my two cents as to why discussion is sparse. Reading my comment back and it sounds harsher than intended.

PauLo likes this.
  14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This was pretty good. Up All Night is my favorite.
    “I might’ve been born yesterday, sir, but I stayed up all night”.

15. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and realized the dialogue in Tasmanian Pain Coaster is from here. Very cool.

16. PauLo

43% Burnt

The "...burst into fire" bit?

17. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Yep

18. PauLo

43% Burnt

Ah cool. Never thought to look it up, its always just been a cool sample for me haha

xapplexpiex likes this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away

That is one of my favorite lines of dialogue and is highly disturbing when you know the context.

xapplexpiex likes this.