Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Aug 16, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

Its Sunday. The work week is about to start again, so let’s try and forget that and remember its hip hop classics time yet again. And this week, we have an album that is probably in the top 5 of all hip hop albums ever. Its an album that all music fans should have heard and an album that is pretty much unanimously considered the peak of hip hop in the 90s. I’m not gonna list all their names, you know who they are. This week, we are coming up against the mighty Wu-Tang and their album Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)...

BB9F8722-0E5B-4E79-9711-2DF62F90DF8F.jpeg

I’m not sure I need to say anything else. Sound off below what you think! Favourite tracks? Favourite verse? Favourite sample?

@Henry to pin

Previous classics threads:

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Fugees - The Score • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: OutKast - Stankonia • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Madvillain - Madvillainy • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Missy Elliot - Miss E... So Addictive • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps • forum.chorus.fm

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Top 5 ever

Rowan5215 likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose Aug 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

One of the first four albums I ever owned. In my opinion probably the second best rap album ever made (though it’s close) and one of the best albums of all time across all genres.

Can It Be All So Simple and C.R.E.A.M. are my favorites.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

gonna be a fun one. hell yes

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I love this one. Protect Ya Neck is in my head a lot.

6. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I've never loved this one the way I feel like I should. my best friend worships these guys. I think I like their solo stuff pretty much all more than this album

7. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

This is an album near and dear to my heart.

8. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

One of the first hip hop albums I’ve ever heard.

9. mike1885 Aug 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 16, 2020)
    mike1885

Trusted Supporter

One of the greatest albums ever, across any genre. Nothing to Fuck With through Tearz is just hit after hit but there’s no weak link here. RZA’s beats were on another level here.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  10. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

It’s also incredible how good the solo albums between this and Wu Tang Forever were (Tical, Liquid Swords, Ironman, Cuban Linx, Return to 36 Chambers). Everyone was just on their A game in the early to mid 90s.

Rowan5215 and The Lucky Moose like this.
  11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

OB4CL, and this are my top 2 of the genre. ODB, and Rae are the mvps on this imo. RZA’s production is flawless.

12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

either this or the first Cuban Linx are my favourite Wu, not sure if I could decide with a gun to my head. this one definitely wins on sheer charisma and the insane chemistry between all of them

favourite verse ... so many contenders ugh, it's probably GZA's last one on "Protect Ya Neck". "money gettin stuck to the gum under the table" is one of the best lines in hip-hop history

riotspray likes this.
  13. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This album came out three years before I was even born but I'm still such a fucking huge fan of Wu. That period from this album all the way through Wu-Tang Forever is absolutely unbeatable; RZA in this period is responsible for some of the best and most influential hip-hop production of all time, and is vision is flawlessly executed across all the albums

As for this album itself, it sounds really rough and cheaply recorded but I wouldn't have it any other way, it adds to the atmosphere so fucking well and really makes it feel cold and raw. Flawless listen

xapplexpiex likes this.
  14. PauLo Aug 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

This is my favourite Wu album by far.

For a long time, Forever (although mostly just Triumph on repeat) and Meths verses on N 2 Gether Now (!!!) was all I knew from the Wu and it took me until 06 before I listened to this properly. And even then, I only really listened to the albums most well known tracks. Which is why, even now, I forget how good some of the lesser known tracks are.

RZA's production on this still hasn't been matched since it was released. Although it was his first proper album and he undoubtedly became more tech savvy in subsequent albums, his rough and raw style has yet to be matched to this day. His ability to flip is a sample is one of the best in hip hop, probably only matched by Dilla.

15. The Lucky Moose Aug 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 17, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I think the roughness, the audible limitations, are part of why this album is as great as it is. It is quintessentially Hip Hop: making something out of nothing.

mike1885 and kyle like this.
  16. One of my all time favorites and their best album.

17. Collins

Trusted

Stone cold classic, tho I am a little weird and listen to Forever more often. If you haven’t heard this do yourself a favor and listen immediately.

Hard to pick a favorite verse but I feel like Inspectah Deck is always underrated.

don’t hate me:
    1. RZA
    2. GZA
    3. Meth
    4. Ghost
    5. Rae
    6. Deck
    7. ODB
    8. Masta Killa
    9. U-God
    10. Cap

18. PauLo

43% Burnt

My ranking changes all the time. Ghost is always at the top, though.

Rowan5215, OhTheWater and mike1885 like this.
  19. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Ghost and Meth are my top 2 and my favorite fluctuates. Ghost definitely has had the most consistent solo career.

Collins likes this.
  20. soggytime

Trusted

Discovering this album and the Wu-Tang Clan as a whole was a treat. After playing this one to death, it was exciting doing that first deep dive into the individual member's discographies. Wu-Tang is like the MCU for hip-hop

Collins likes this.
  21. Collins

Trusted

Ghost has had the most consistent career for sure. GZA’s Liquid Swords is my favorite solo release from the Wu, but Supreme Clientele and Fishscale are up there

Rowan5215 likes this.
  22. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

[​IMG]

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Deck is for sure underrated, probably because he didn't have a classic solo album like some of the others did during that first decade. dude's individual verses can go toe-to-toe with anyone else in Wu though

mike1885 likes this.
  24. Collins

Trusted

Def. Deck is so good on Forever and when it comes to Wu solo projects, I feel like his features were always top-tier, like Duel of the Iron Mic, Cold World and Assassination Day to name a few. His verse on Above the Cloud’s from the Gang Starr record is wild too.

Uncontrolled Substance and The Resident Patient are solid but I agree he never reached the same highs as some of the rest of the Clan. He’s bar for bar a better rapper than Killa and Cap no doubt, but I’d argue No Said Date and The Pillage are better solo records than anything he did

Rowan5215 likes this.
  25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Put a hanger on a fuckin stove and let that shit sit there for like a half hour...

xapplexpiex likes this.