Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Missy Elliot - Miss E... So Addictive Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Aug 2, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s Sunday. Everything in the world is turning to shit. But do you know what isn’t shit? Hip hop. So what better way to distract ourselves than to stick on a classic album and discuss why it’s so great. This week, we’re back in 2001. Timberland is on top of his game and his greatest collaborator (sit down, Justin) is about to release her 3rd album. That album is Miss E... So Addictive and that collaborator goes by the name of Missy Elliot...

3E9F66E2-6249-4DA9-A070-46C5B6FB9CCE.jpeg

Is Get Your Freak On one of the greatest songs of all time? And does it have one of the best videos too? Sound off below!

@Henry to pin

Previous classic threads...

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Fugees - The Score • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: OutKast - Stankonia • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Madvillain - Madvillainy • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal • forum.chorus.fm

xapplexpiex likes this.
  2. PauLo

43% Burnt

This week, I thought I’d ask some questions to see if we can get more people involved. If we get enough traction, I may do the same each week

1) When did you first hear it?
    2) What’s your favourite track?
    3) How well has it aged?

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I love this album. Excited to play it later this week. First few songs are extremely infectious.

4. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

First album in this series I havent previously listened to.

5. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I don’t see myself revisiting anything from this album to be quite honest, most of the singles have been played out by now that I feel no need to seek them out. It felt like a chore to get through and it’s really not even that long if you exclude the remix and interludes clocking in under an hour. Lick Shots begins to what you think is fade out at 2:36 but then needlessly just continues you on for another 1:16 and the chorus comes back out of nowhere. As with most opinions I have I feel I’ll find myself in the minority here.

6. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I never really connected with any Missy albums as a whole. She definitely knew how to make amazing singles from the mid-90s to the mid-00s though.

7. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I mean this isn't my favorite by Missy by any means but it's an excellent album.

8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Not the Missy album I would have expected here, but it makes sense given the big singles. Turn of the century hip hop was something special.

I'm a sucker for any Method Man/Redman features.

9. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

for my money her best album is da real world but this one is also great

10. PauLo

43% Burnt

Supa Dupa Fly will always be number 1 for me.

On the most part, Missy has always been a single artist. This album is very good, as are all of her first 4 albums. But they can be a little long in parts and have filler here and there. And I definitely prefer her rapping to her singing (although she is great at both). I think one of the main issues is Timberlands production can overshadow her at times.

mike1885 likes this.
  11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I've never listened to this one in full. Agree with everyone in here, filler with some incredible singles.

12. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Supa Dupa Fly is my favorite album by her too.

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Never listened to Missy Elliot before, but I listened to this today on a walk. I enjoyed it. Lick Shots is my favorites track.

14. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’ll listen to this one next. I need to do another discography dive for an artist.

15. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Yeah, I always liked Lick Shots too.