Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Biz Markie - The Biz Never Sleeps Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Aug 9, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s that time of the week again. It’s time to take a trip back in time to learn the history of hip hop and maybe pick up a few new fans here and there. This week, i decided to do this a little differently. Rather than do a poll, I thought it would be good to check out an classic from someone who’s not doing so well at the moment and hopefully put a few new eyes on him in case the worst happens. This week, we’re looking at The Biz Never Sleeps by the diabolical Biz Markie...

B5977A96-30F1-49F8-B0EE-90E7AD616A3E.jpeg

Biz has been in hospital for nearly a month now due to complications with his diabetes. I think I can safely say I speak for everyone at hoping he pushes through and recovers and can get back to doing what he does best ASAP.

@Henry to pin

Past threads...

HIP HOP CLASSICS: Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Fugees - The Score • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: OutKast - Stankonia • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Madvillain - Madvillainy • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E. 1999 Eternal • forum.chorus.fm
    HIP HOP CLASSICS: Missy Elliot - Miss E... So Addictive • forum.chorus.fm

riotspray likes this.
  2. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Never listened to a Biz Markie album. I’ll give this one a go this week.

3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Excited to listen later.

4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Also, I like that you put all the previous threads on the op.

PauLo likes this.
  5. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Never heard this. Excited to give it a whirl this week

6. riotspray Aug 9, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2020)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Only know a few of his songs, but always absolutely loved his aesthic. Excited to dig into this.

Also, if I understand it correctly, this album was produced solely by Biz. And Just a Friend is all an timer.

7. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I've been a Biz fan almost as long as I have been a Hip Hop fan. I know some people think he was nothing more than a novelty act, but he was (and still is) much more than that. A funny, creative, distinctive rapper and a great producer. These days he's mostly a DJ and a great one a that. He's true legend and I hope he stays with us for many more years. Hip Hop would probably not have been the same without him.

This album is probably still his magnum opus. Just A Friend is obviously a classic. My other favourites are Check It Out, Spring Again and She's Not Just Another Woman, but the whole album is great.

Biz, the legendary producer and early sampling pioneer Paul C and Biz's cousin Cool V.

riotspray and PauLo like this.
  8. PauLo

43% Burnt

This album took me by surprise, as did Goin' Off. I knew a few of his classic tracks (Just a Friend, Make The Music With Your Mouth), but never dug too much into the rest of his stuff. His production is excellent and doesn't sound anywhere near as dated as a lot 80's hip hop. His flow is definitely of it's time, but the production is next level. A bit like ATCQ's stuff. Not sound wise, just in the fact it still sounds fresh and innovative today.

With a lot of the classic threads, i've listened to the album once of twice and put it to one side. I can see myself listening to a lot more Biz going forward.

riotspray and The Lucky Moose like this.
  9. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

It is from 89, which was roughly 30 years after 85

riotspray and PauLo like this.
  10. PauLo Aug 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 10, 2020)
    PauLo

43% Burnt

They certainly had an ear for a sample. So many of the samples they've flipped have been used numerous times over the years by loads of other producers. I know that's essentially hip hop haha, but it feels like people did it with Biz's tracks more than others.

Eric Sermon is another producer you could probably say that about.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  11. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I still have no idea how to do the Mudd Foot. Also never really watched Fat Albert so I may be missing something.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  12. FrancisMackaman

Thanks for this one!

13. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

The Dragon is killing me right now