Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B Thread Genre • Page 50

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Chaplain Tappman, Mar 7, 2016.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

This is beautiful

2. The Lucky Moose Jun 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I want to point out that the indie rock leaning press (which is most of the music press that isn’t specifically hip hop/R&B media) as well as their (theoretical) readership, including often people on this board (not this thread), only seem to celebrate or even notice R&B artists when they make their music “more pop department friendly”. The more it sounds like generic pop music produced by some Swedish guy, the better. It’s not just the record labels that are to blame.

In the 00s, R&B artists had huge albums and hist without having to do that, whereas now the idea of albums like Confessions or The Emancipation of Mini becoming huge mainstream successes that outsell most other albums across all genres feels almost impossible.

Punisher316 likes this.
  3. The Lucky Moose

4. The Lucky Moose

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Grooves for dayzz

Punisher316 and irthesteve like this.
  6. jdr2187

jdr2187

7. That would be cool, honestly. Lately, I've been finding it hard to stay engaged in this place outside of the big releases and the genre threads, so that would be a refreshing feature.

edit: Okay I should have caught up before writing this. Checking out those new threads in a bit

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  8. The Lucky Moose

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I'd have to go over my list again to be sure but After Hours is still probably my favorite album of the year so far period

Really liked the Jessie Reyez album but thought the dvsn album was pretty disappointing compared to their first two. Still need to get around to Kehlani and maybe Teyana Taylor

Punisher316 likes this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

Haven’t listened to any, not even Kehlani

11. I've been bad at keeping up with new R&B as I keep going back to my faves but I loved that KeiyaA album. Alina Baraz would be up there too. Going to check out Luke James as I loved his stuff yeeeeeears ago but forgot about the album announcement.

Punisher316 likes this.
  12. The Lucky Moose

13. The Lucky Moose

17 years of Chapter II

14. The Lucky Moose Jul 6, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 6, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

The Jojo album is really good and also a lot, uh, steamier than I expected.

This is a gem:

Crisp X likes this.
  15. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

there's enough R&B here for me to post about it, it's great

16. irthesteve

nice

17. irthesteve

18. irthesteve

I've casually followed Pink Sweat$, but this is the first project that's great

Punisher316 likes this.
  19. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

listening to Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun on blast this morning. might be my all time favorite r&b album.

jdr2187, Crisp X and The Lucky Moose like this.
  20. PauLo

43% Burnt

Outside of Baduizm, Erykah Badu is a massive blind spot for me. I’m not sure why I haven’t listened to Mama’s Gun considering Dilla and the Soulquarians in generals influence on it.

21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

She's the best- ya gotta check out her whole discography. The two New Amerykah albums are also brilliant. Mama's Gun just hits a personal sweet spot for me.

22. The Lucky Moose

23. PauLo

43% Burnt

*patiently waits for an Aaliyah album or The Miseducation Of...*

24. PauLo

43% Burnt

Would be very interested in a thread on one of Janets 80's album or early 90's output too actually.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  25. The Lucky Moose Jul 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

The latter to me is more rap than R&B.

I probably won’t be doing an Aaliyah album because the ones that would make sense aren’t on Spotify etc. Also if you like Aaliyah you should like Full Moon.

Janet’s Velvet Rope is on the list. I might do an 80s album at some point but I’m more focused on 90s and 00s R&B.

OotyPa likes this.