Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B CLASSICS: Usher - Confessions

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Jun 21, 2020.

1. The Lucky Moose Jun 21, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2020)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Within the span of one year, Jermaine Dupri produced two masterpieces that were both unapologetically R&B, yet still managed to go diamond in a time when the music industry was on death's door, thereby becoming two of the biggest albums of the 00s, across all genres. A feat that seems almost impossible now for an R&B-ass R&B album to achieve.

The second one of those two albums was Mariah Carey's 'The Emancipation of Mimi', which will get its due later. The first one was Usher's 2004 album 'Confessions', his magnum opus and undeniably one of the best R&B albums of all time. As Kenneth Hicks writes:

So So Def.

[​IMG]

@Henry You can unpin the other now and pin this one, please.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I know 'Yeah' has become kind of a meme now, but people that did not experience it probably can't understand just how huge that song and this album were. It was everywhere.

I remember buying it day one. I have so many memories attached to it. To this day I'm never not in the mood to listen to it. It's one of my favourite albums of all time. I say this as someone who hasn't really cared about an Usher album since.

3. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

amazing record

Aregala and The Lucky Moose like this.
  4. btr

Trusted Supporter

Phenomenal record. I remember trying to dig into his other albums and nothing came close to hitting the same.

I’m 25 and I still hear “Yeah!” at every single club/bar I’ve gone to the past dour years.

mad and The Lucky Moose like this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

In high school I once danced the waltz with a pretty girl to Yeah

mad and Crisp X like this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I was gonna say Burn is his best song but it's probably second to U Got It Bad but still phenomenal

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  7. The Lucky Moose

For me it’s probably between Burn and Confessions Part II. Superstar is up there too.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah was so huge that it played at my 4th grade dance

9. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

I remember being thrown by Yeah! when it first came out. I had really loved Usher’s singles from My Way and 8701 and Yeah was such a different sound. I originally thought it was going to flop but boy was I wrong.

Anyways, great album but I do think it’s a little longer than it needs to be. I actually had the urge to put this on a couple weeks ago so it’s fresh in my mind. That opening stretch of songs from the Intro through Superstar is pretty perfect. Outside the singles, Throwback was always one of my favorites - Just Blaze killed that beat.

10. The Lucky Moose

It doesn't hep that Spotify only has the rerelease, which is definitely too long.

mike1885 likes this.
  11. btr

Trusted Supporter

Once you hear the triangle in Yeah!, you can never unhear it

12. The Lucky Moose

When LL Cool J's 'Hush' originally came out, I loved it, but after a while I started noticing this hi-hat (I think, I'm bad at at that kind of terminology) that drove me nuts and ruined the song for me for a while. I took me months to get over it.

So, I haven't noticed a triangle sound in Yeah so far and I don't intend to try :crylaugh:

btr likes this.
  13. btr

Trusted Supporter

Save yourself and do not look for it haha. One of those things you’ll never be able to unhear!

14. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'm right there with you. This album was simply massive at the time.

15. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

All-timer

whole album is special but the title track(s) are something else

16. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I can’t listen to this album without imagining the 2003 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the spring of 2004 I would watch that film and this listen to this album because they were the two things I spent my money on in late March or early April.

Confessions pt 2 all the way

17. mad

I was right. Prestigious

the sounds of my youth. I was so obsessed with Usher in those days. every single he put out was perfection!

18. The Lucky Moose

The explanation makes sense but that’s kinda fucked up lol

19. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I wasn’t into this genre as a kid, but his music was everywhere.

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

This was *the* R&B album when it came out.

justin., mad and The Lucky Moose like this.
  21. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Damn good album.