Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

R&B CLASSICS: D'Angelo - Voodoo

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Jul 2, 2020.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I'm a couple of days late, but this week's thread is dedicated to D'Angelo's 2000 masterpiece 'Voodoo' arguably "the defining statement of the neo-soul movement". It deserves to be one of the first albums we talk about, not only because it celebrates its 20th anniversary this year, but because it is also quite simply one of the best albums ever made.

A nice article I found today, for those looking to learn a little more about it:

D'Angelo's 'Voodoo': 20 Years Later, How Does It Feel?

[​IMG]

@Henry to pin.

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

soooooo good

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. OotyPa

fall away

Fuck yeah. This album is a masterpiece.

Random story time. Once had a weird roommate who’d invite Tinder dates to his room and his go-to move was having Untitled (How Does It Feel) play on repeat. A little grimey. Dude never had a second date. He would also rip dabs in the morning and go to work as a kindergarten teacher :crylaugh:

4. PauLo

43% Burnt

Whilst it's not my favourite D'Angelo album (Black Messiah takes that title), this is still an outstanding album. The track with Meth and Red is probably my favourite.

Unfortunately, it's also one of those albums that I associate with a shitty time in my life and I don't visit it as much as i'd like due to how it makes me feel. I need to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it, so I make the most of it when I can.

OotyPa and The Lucky Moose like this.
  5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

A classic

6. The Lucky Moose

My favorite is probably Brown Sugar, but this is definitely amazing

7. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Perfect.

8. cherrywaves

Trusted

Idk I think this guy whips ass. Guys being dudes.

9. cherrywaves

Trusted

This man simply does not miss

10. today i’m feeling grateful that black messiah exists

still seems wild

11. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Such a classic album. Probably my favorite, but everything he puts out is quality.

beachdude and The Lucky Moose like this.
  12. OotyPa

fall away

Wish we got more new listeners for this one. First time I heard D’Angelo, my entire soul opened up

13. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

beachdude, Philll and The Lucky Moose like this.
  14. PauLo

43% Burnt

Yeah, the Soulquarians touch in the late 90's was almost a guarantee that the album would be out of this world.

15. PauLo

43% Burnt

beachdude and Steve_JustAGuy like this.
  16. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Now that all the confederate statues are coming down here, need to start a campaign for a D'Angelo statue

beachdude and phaynes12 like this.
  17. PauLo

43% Burnt

It’s not from Voodoo, but I had to post this

18. Philll

Trusted

Steve_JustAGuy likes this.
  19. Pearl Vixen

Metal Goddess 8-]]

Never heard of D'Angelo until now--I will have to definitely have to check him out sometime since you guys gave such glowing posts of his music..My rap hero is Tupac, I imagine D'Angelo is right up there musically..

20. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

What an album. I do think that Black Messiah should get even more attention than it did.

Spare thought: maybe y'all should simply rename the same 2 "CLASSICS" threads and update OP weekly with a list of previously discussed albums, rather than create and sticky a new page every week. Would make it easier to build traction and look up past albums.

21. PauLo

43% Burnt

I'm probably gonna continue making individual threads, but link all the previous ones in the OP so that they're easier to find. Bit like what Henry does with the poll threads.

Black Messiah is one of my favourite albums from the past 10 years. Easily.

22. DaveyA89

Very gorgeous album. And 100% wasn't expecting Redman and Method Man features. So far my only exposure (pardon the pun) had been the Untitled video haha. Hopefully he will surprise us with another album at some point

23. The Lucky Moose

I’m gonna make new threads still I think, but not once a week, more like once a month

24. djwildefire

Trusted

25. Philll

Trusted

[​IMG]