Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Liner Notes (November 6th, 2021)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week looks at new music out this week (Webbed Wing, Stand Atlantic, Brian Fallon) and music I listened to through the rest of the week (New Found Glory, Descendents). There are also some thoughts on entertainment I’ve been enjoying and/or suffering through. As always, there’s a playlist of ten songs I liked, and this week’s supporter Q&A post can be found here.

If you’d like this newsletter delivered to your inbox each week (it’s free and available to everyone), you can sign up here.

A Few Things

• This was one of those weeks where I didn’t have time for anything. All of my feeds have triple-digit unread counts, I barely opened Twitter even at night (well, that’s a positive, I guess), and I didn’t even have much time to keep the website updated. I went on a considerable news posting spree this morning to clear out the queues, but, damn, yeah, it was just one of those weeks where I felt unable to get ahead of anything at all. I like being busy; I’m not a fan of feeling over-busy. Very much looking forward to a weekend to reset and get the ground back under my feet.

In Case You Missed It

Music Thoughts

• It’s always a good sign when a new album drops, and I end up playing it multiple times on a Friday. This week, that would be Webbed Wing’s What’s So Fucking Funny? It’s almost got a slight grunge feel to it, but it really hit the spot on a cold fall walk through the city last night.
    • Stand Atlantic’s new single is going with a little more aggressive sound. I’m into it. I wouldn’t mind seeing an entire album like this; it kind of reminds me a little of Tonight Alive. Speaking of, we haven’t heard from that band in what feels like ages.
    • New Green Day single is … fine? A little standard, but not bad.
    • Snail Mail’s new album came out yesterday, and I’ve written about it quite a bit over the past few weeks, so I don’t have much new to share in that regard. It’s good!
    • SeeYouSpaceCowboy’s new one is also out now. Drew’s a big fan; I’m a fan. It’s a screamy yelly album for when you’re in a screamy yelly mood.
    • It feels like forever since Greyhaven’s last album. They announced a new one this week and dropped a new single. Pretty pretty good, and I’m looking forward to hearing more.
    • Brian Fallon’s new album of classic hymns is quite interesting. These are songs I’ve heard versions of hundreds of times over my life, and I think his take on them is authentic and very Brian. It’s not a release I think I’ll return to often throughout the year, but I definitely see it being in my holiday rotation—a late December night album. And, you could do a lot worse than playing “Nearer, My God, to Thee” at my funeral one day.
    • New Simple Plan single is nice. Not really breaking any new ground, but for what it is? Yeah, sounds like a good Simple Plan song, and that’s already better than the last few lead singles they’ve had.
    • This week had me diving into a few other artist discographies. The big one was going through almost all of the New Found Glory albums. I say almost because I couldn’t finish Resurrection. I tried. I really did. But that album just grates on me. I did, however, make it through Forever and Ever X Infinity for the first time since its release. Those two albums are far and away my least favorite in their catalog. I can easily find something I love in all the others. The new EP gives me hope for their next release, and I hope they record with someone like Will Pugh again. Someone that understands how to bring out their melodic side. It was funny to hear the self-titled album again; that album reminds me of my senior year of high school as much as basically any other. I also spent a lot of time in the Bad Religion and Descendents catalogs this week. Two bands that need no introduction, but what stuck out to me was how fresh something like Milo Goes to College still sounds. There are some albums that when I listen to them, I think, “loved it then, love it now, gonna love it in 20 years” – and that’s one of them. Next week I’ve been itching to go back through the entire Relient K catalog. I think I’ll start with the self-titled and see if I can’t transport myself back to … I guess it would be sophomore or junior year of high school? It must have been junior because I remember driving myself to a Christian bookstore to buy that annoying ass CD case.

The Stats: Over the past week, I listened to 33 different artists and 486 different tracks (506 scrobbles). My most played artist of the week was New Found Glory after doing a run-through (most of) their discography. After playing it three times yesterday, my most played album was the new Webbed Wing album, What’s So Fucking Funny?. Here is my Top 9 from last week, and you can follow me on Apple Music and/or Last.fm.

Entertainment Thoughts

• We watched Halloween Kills on Halloween, and I absolutely hated it. Just a complete and utter garbage fire of a film. There is not enough pumpkin beer and candy in the world to fuzz my brain enough to enjoy one iota of this movie.
    • Netflix’s The Harder They Fall is a highly stylized, and unfortunately heavy-handed, western. The cast is absolutely stacked with actors I love, and they carry the scenes with aplomb. But the script and runtime do this no favors. Every scene felt like there were five or six shots leading up to a few little speeches, some action, a cut, and then five more shots leading up to the next one. I wanted to really get into this but left it disappointed.
    • Slasher is trash. But after being so let down with Halloween Kills we needed some kind of trashy slasher fix. So, we binged the third season. It’s fine and not breaking any ground, and at least it washed some of the taste of Kills out of my mouth.
    • I’ve been waiting for a live-action rendition of Y: The Last Man for what feels like half my life at this point. The graphic novel is one of my favorite things, and I walked into the new television show with some trepidation. It’s not perfect, but I am enjoying it through the first four episodes. It’s not exactly the story I remember, but that’s just made me want to go back and revisit the comic series. However, there’s enough of what I remember falling in love with all those years ago that it’s working for me. I do hope it gets picked up somewhere for a second season; I think it’s earned it.

Random and Personal Stuff

• Not much here this week. Hannah got the new Animal Crossing expansion pack stuff and has been playing that this morning. I’ve been in the office writing, catching up on everything, and listening to music. I am just trying to relax a little bit. We’re already moving fast in November and need to start making holiday plans. I swear, this year has felt like it’s moved at warp speed.

Ten Songs

Here are ten songs that I listened to and loved this week. Some may be new, some may be old, but they all found their way into my life during the past seven days.

1. Stand Atlantic – Molotov [Ok]
    2. Webbed Wing – Jesus’s Age
    3. Snail Mail – Forever (Sailing)
    4. SeeYouSpaceCowboy – Life as a Soap Opera Plot, 26 Years Running
    5. Greyhaven – All Candy
    6. Brian Fallon – Nearer, My God, To Thee
    7. Descendents – Myage
    8. Simple Plan – The Antidote
    9. The War on Drugs – Harmonia’s Dream
    10. Sigrid – Home to You (This Christmas)

This playlist is available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Community Watch

The trending and popular threads in our community this week include:

The most liked post in our forums last week was this one by Sean Murphy in the “2021 NFL Season Thread” thread.

Previous editions of Liner Notes can be found here.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. Miller304

Be excellent to one another. Supporter

Webbed Wing sounds like Lit.