Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 Summer Olympics (Archived) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by HelloThisIsDog, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

so stoked to see some volleyball

Henry likes this.
  2. Peimeisho

The Marathon! Oh yeah, and have you heard about the woman 800 m runner Semenya who has been scrutinized for being like a hermaphodite?

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Russia state-sponsored doping at Sochi Winter Olympics - report

Sportsday - report into Russian doping allegations

"It is damning. It's a lot worse than people were expecting. I've read through some of the report as we watched the news conference and 580 positive tests were covered up across 30 different sports.

"We know that Russia competitors won't be at the track and field events at the Rio Olympics but what we don't know is the impact on other sports. This is all summer and winter sports.

"This is a devastating blow for Russian credibility. The focus now will turn to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and what they will do in terms of the Rio Olympics. The IOC has a big problem because this has blown a hole in any semblance that Russian sport has been clean over the last few years.

"We are into the world of James Bond style espionage."

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Went ahead and stickied this thread since it's coming up quick.

5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

volleyball....maybe a little gymnastics...polo....every odd ball game I'm into it.

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Athlete's village was deemed uninhabitable. lol

7. Garrett

Russia not completely banned. Up to individual sports governing bodies.

8. Garrett

Are there any other suggestions for things I should be re-directing to in this first post? Basketball to the NBA thread kinda works since it's off-season, but baseball to the MLB thread doesn't really work at all since the season is in full swing.

9. Schooner

Trusted

I heard Australia's was the worst and they complained.
    Rio official said "maybe we can bring a kangaroo do make you feel happier"
    Australian official response "no we just want a plumber"

10. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Is there any convenient way to watch these without having any form of cable tv?

11. joe727 Aug 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 1, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

If you have a streaming device I believe the NBC Sports app is going to stream alot of events live and have every event archived. They already have a bunch of the Track & Field trials on there.

It's one of the cable channel apps that doesn't require a cable tv subscription.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  12. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Garrett L. likes this.
  13. Garrett

Exactly me. They both deserve it, undoubtedly. Maybe Serena will still be playing in Tokyo.

14. Jeremy

You need a cable login for the NBC Sports streaming (the network's FAQ says this includes all coverage). If you have a TV that gets over-the-air you can watch the NBC coverage (via the app FAQ). Reddit usually keeps a few less-than-legal streams lists.

15. joe727

yeah lol my bad. I assumed it didn't require one until i first tried to watch something this morning.

16. Jeremy

It's pretty stupid.

17. Kellan

@kellanthomas Prestigious

A Chinese hurdler was robbed, apparently he was vomited on as a distraction.

18. Why does Great Britain compete as one country in the Olympics but in the World Cup and Euro Cup they compete separately?

19. clucky

Trusted Supporter

quick google search seems to suggest its mostly due to tradition.

When soccer/football was starting out, there wasn't a whole lot of other competition plus traveling far was hard so most of the competition stayed local and its easy to see how English/Welsh/Irish/Scottish national teams arose as people put national pride on the line. Even as the sport spread across the globe, those strong ties to the national teams remained.

With the Olympics, there was plenty of competition outside of the UK so there was just the one UK team and that has stuck as well

20. joe727 Aug 4, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2016)
    joe727

The IOC voted today on new Olympic sports for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, and we got some cool ones.

2020 Olympics will see the debut/return of:
    Skateboarding (street and park)
    Surfing
    Baseball/Softball
    Karate
    Sport Climbing

From what i've been reading though these are only for Tokyo because of new rules where every Olympics each local committee can propose additional sports for those games only. If they're popular enough they can be added as permanent Olympic sports.

21. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

this is already a disaster and it's just begun. we really didn't learn anything from the World Cup and we're pretty much making fun of ourselves at this point. bem-vindos ao rio!

22. Garrett

Opening Ceremonies tonight!

23. felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

holy fuck we're amazing tonight (and tonight only)

24. joe727

This "celebration and defiance in the face difficulties" theme on NBC's coverage is a brilliant PR move.

25. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

Wish I was watching now... Damn you forced tape delay/NBC. Only three more hours!

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.