Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Tennis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Garrett, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Gotta have a thread for the best sport on the planet! Really hope people begin to pay more attention to the sport outside of the four majors.

Serena vs Vika should be really good tonight at Indian Wells. Djokovic-Nadal this afternoon will also really let us know how far back into his recovery Nadal is.

2. Garrett

Looks like Rafa is back to near his old level, but Nole continues to just be on another level even higher than those around him. Great match today.

3. Garrett

This Serena-Vika match has been phenomenal thus far.

4. Iain

Regular

I have a subscription to tennis.tv, not really kept up to date watching smaller events though past couple of months!

I managed to get wimbledon tickets the past two years, not been so lucky in the ballot this year unfortunately.

5. Garrett

Wimbledon is the dream some day. I've been watching good bits of Indian Wells and Miami the last few weeks. Tennis world is crazy this year, outside of Djokovic.

6. Iain

Regular

It is great if you can get to it!

I wish there was more coverage of the doubles for pretty much every tournament. Considering alot of the time in each competition a fair whack of the top 20 singles players are also playing in the doubles!

I am happy my fellow Scot Jamie Murray is now No1 mens doubles player in the world. What an achievement!

7. Garrett

I'm odd in that I love playing doubles (if I trust my partner), but I hate watching it.

8. Iain

Regular

I am playing doubles more than I play singles these days. I play team matches at other clubs which is fun, so I guess I am always trying to learn from these guys movement and tactics. I used to go the general members club nights, but liek you say, playing with a random is daunting sometimes! I did play in Australia on holiday which was brutal in the heat!

I am a baseline warrior at heart, but in doubles I feel im struggling to take the power off, and get the positioning right. My whole technique falls apart as if im thinking too much about it.

9. Garrett

@himynameisiain I'm good at the net, so that's what I love about doubles. I grew up playing in Florida. I'm in a period where I can't play because I don't have contacts (doctor wanted my eyes to have 18 months with glasses first) and I'm missing it so hard.

10. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

How many years before the next big star arrives and can dethrone Djokovic now that Federer and Rafa are falling apart?

(Still slightly delusional in holding out hope for one more Fed slam, though)

Garrett L. likes this.
  11. Garrett

Vika's on fire right now.

12. MrRobot

Fun fact: I'm closer to Murray in points than Murray is to Djokovic.

[​IMG]

JM95 and Garrett L. like this.
  13. Garrett

Djokovic losing so early in this latest tournament was quite the shock. Rafa winning a clay court tourney makes me hesitate to say "looks like he's back," but this is his strongest portion of the calendar for sure.

14. Garrett

Huge All-American final in Rome tomorrow between Serena and Madison Keys.

15. Garrett

Roland Garros is here!

16. Mr. Dennis

On the Free from PSG

Did ESPN lose/not renew coverage rights?

17. Garrett

They usually only do weekend and later round coverage.

18. Garrett

Seeing Rafa withdraw from the French, even though I always root against him, is really weird to see. And without Roger, it's like we're slowly sliding into the post-Golden Era world.

It's been a fun tournament thus far. The WTA side is as volatile is ever and it's awesome. Rogers upsetting Kvitova yesterday was huge.

19. Garrett

Serena - Mladenovic has been a near perfect match of tennis thus far. Mlad is ballsy AF in this tie-breaker. Serving to force a third set at 9-8.

20. Garrett

9-9. Downright incredible tennis from both of them. (I'll talk to myself about tennis all day.)

21. Garrett

Serena's serving for her 4th match point... all previous three were on her serve and Mlad mini-broke. And she did it again. 10-10.

22. Garrett

11-10, receiving for MP this time.

And that ends it. Incredible match.

23. Garrett

Beautiful third set by Venus. It's crazy how common a "fluke" 6-1 or 6-0 middle set is in a WTA match that goes 3.

24. MrRobot

oh my god

I love Genie though

Garrett L. likes this.
  25. Garrett

ROUGH. But hilarious.