Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2016 Summer Olympics (Archived)

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by HelloThisIsDog, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. HelloThisIsDog Apr 8, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016)
    HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Here we can discuss everything regarding the upcoming 2016 Summer Olympic Games!

----- Moderator Edit -----

In order to keep this thread from being taken over for one particular event or team sport, we should probably re-direct some Olympic discussion to sub-threads, especially when they may be active year round and you can find a new sports community:

Men's Soccer Tournament
    Soccer - Soccer/Football Discussion Thread

Women's Soccer Tournament
    Soccer - Women's Soccer/Football Discussion Thread

Olympic Boxing
    Boxing Discussion Thread

Olympic Golf Tournament
    PGA/LPGA Golf Discussion Thread

Olympic Tennis Tournament
    Tennis Discussion Thread

Jeremy likes this.
  2. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Definitely excited for Rio 2016. I'll sticky this during the event. Go Team USA!

Jeremy likes this.
  3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Very excited about US women's soccer and US women's volleyball both beach and indoor

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Family Friendly Rap God

Im excited about this but very concerned with the state of the water. It was still filthy a few months back

5. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

Really excited to watch the equestrian sports - doesn't get enough television coverage on a regular basis, so it's fun to see during the olympics!

6. Platy

Sam

Completely forgot it was an Olympic year until I saw some articles about it today. I doubt Team GB will match what they done in London, but I hope for a good showing.

Garrett L. likes this.
  7. Garrett

Thought it was cool that South Korea developed a uniform for their athletes to help repel mosquitoes/combat zika.

8. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

I have a female friend who's going to the Olympic trails later this summer to try for the 800m Team USA team; she ran D1 for the U of Minnesota in college, and has been with Team USA and repped by Asics ever since. Funny story; my Dad had this woman in his typing class in high school, and egged me on to try asking her out at an upcoming high school track meet, when our two high schools would compete against each other. The meet came, I wimped out, and the distance star on our team went up to her himself and got her number, and now they're married, hahaha.

Schooner likes this.
  9. Jonesy

Be my alibi?

I'm surprised this thread is not more active considering the plethora of issues surrounding this Olympics. Crime, political unrest, pollution, zika, stds, unfinished stadiums, unfinished logistic plans, world class athletes withdrawing, people being advised not to travel to Brazil. 2016 might go down as one of the craziest years.

All that aside, I'm most excited for the return of rugby. I really love good competition and can recall watching the winter olympics a little while back watching competitive cross country skiing. Sounded like the most boring thing to watch, but by the end I was jumping up and down in my living room screaming at the t.v. cheering on individuals from countries I have zero affiliation with. I've been cross country skiing and I would rather watch paint dry than do it again, but there is something about the Olympics that make boring sports incredibly entertaining and exhilarating.

Schooner likes this.
  10. Schooner

Trusted

Nice Owen Farrell

11. Garrett

Jason Tate likes this.
  12. Garrett

13. MrRobot

Twitter/IG: @scott325

I can't believe Phelps is doing it again. He's "retired" after the last two.

I hope he can still win everything.

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I love the Olympics, I was lucky enough to be in London for 2012. Definitely not going to Brazil right now though.

15. MrRobot

What are everyone's go-to events? Mine are basketball, tennis, swimming, and gymnastics. I always make a point to watch all of those.

16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Basketball, swimming, volleyball, beach volleyball, track & field/athletics, rowing, and a bit of diving. I usually try to watch some random ones too like canoeing slalom and table tennis.

17. MrRobot

Oh yeah, track & field is always good too.

I just found out like two days ago that a friend of mine when I was a kid is probably going to make the track team. And I'm sitting on the internet in the middle of the afternoon lmao

18. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Track is definitely my favorite in Summer.

19. Jose

weightless in the valley

I dig all the water sports and I like to watch some volleyball now and again. Very excited to watch Phelps on the block again.

20. joe727 Jul 3, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 4, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

In preparation i've been watching alot of the previous Olympic events on youtube. I tend to gravitate more towards the combat related events like Boxing, Judo, and Taekwondo, but I also found myself really enjoying Track and BMX Cycling because of how fast paced and intense they are, I find Road and Mountain Cycling a complete bore though.

21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I was lucky enough to get some really good seats to water polo in 2012. Really fun, underrated sport.

22. joe727 Jul 4, 2016
    joe727

Continuing my watching as much 2012 Olympics as I can and I'm actually surprised how much I found myself really digging Rhythmic Gymnastics. It's almost like competitive circus arts, really cool to watch.

[​IMG]

23. joe727 Jul 4, 2016
    joe727

Holy shit Equestrian - Dressage is the most bougie sport i've ever seen in my life. It's pretty much a "how fancy can you look while riding a pretty prancing horsey" contest.

[​IMG]

Garrett L. likes this.
  24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Jeremy likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.