Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Wonder Woman (Patty Jenkins, June 2, 2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Eric Wilson, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Eric Wilson Mar 24, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017)
    Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

An Amazon princess leaves her island home to explore the world, and becomes the greatest of its female heroes. - IMDb

If you loved Wonder Woman as much as most fans and critics did, and you now crave more of the character, you're in luck! The Chorus comic book thread community has again made a list of accessible recommendations for you to check out! Whether you're a new or lapsed comic book reader, or just new to this character, you'll be sure to jump right in and enjoy any of these wonderful hand-picked recommendations.

Wonder Woman Rebirth Vol 2: Year One
    Writer: Greg Rucka
    Artists: Nicola Scott, Bilquis Evely
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon

[NOTE: Pay no mind to this being "Vol. 2." The first volume in this "Rebirth" series tells a present-day story that can be read either before or after this volume. If you only pick this one up, you'll be fine!]
    Wonder Woman tends to have her origin story retold and tweaked every few years with each new creative team, but this newest run perfectly blends the best of the past with some great new elements. This volume puts an emphasis on who she is and what makes her a beacon of peace and love by showing her experiencing little things for the first time like cameras and soda while still combating major world issues like terrorism. Her supporting cast of Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, and Dr. Minerva have never been so well fleshed out as we see them teach Diana about this world and Diana's impact on them. Nicola Scott's art also does an amazing job of showing Diana's strength one moment and her compassion the next, providing the perfect entry point for new and old fans of Wonder Woman. - @Dodge725

Wonder Woman: The True Amazon
    Writer/Artist: Jill Thompson

The True Amazon is a child's storybook for adults. Thompson's story of tragedy and the foils of divine intervention is brought to life through some of the most beautiful watercolors I've ever seen, mixing moderate violence and adult themes with the unabashed charm you remember from the books that fascinated you before you could read. The story has a lot of changes from Wonder Woman's classic origin: There is no Steve Trevor that leads Diana into the world of man. There is only tragedy and the promise of atonement. One of the book's many highlights is a young, bratty Diana, a child treated like a holy symbol made of glass. As a Princess and a miracle she is not held accountable for her actions and grows up in a life of luxury in paradise with only one lone Amazon refusing to bow to Diana until she has proved herself. Diana is more flawed than we are use to seeing in our heroes, her pride devouring the peace promised to the Amazons by the Gods. The true story here lies with Diana realizing her flaws, rising above them, and becoming the Wonder Woman the world needs. This is my favorite Wonder Woman origin story. - @Vivatoto

Wonder Woman by George Pérez Vol. 1
    Writers: George Pérez, Len Wein
    Artists: George Pérez, Bruce D. Patterson

In the 80s, George Pérez brought Wonder Woman back to life with his run. Initially, he was slated to only work on it for several months. It turned out to be much longer than that, and for a good reason. Even though the older comics have quite a bit of dialogue and script in general, this one is well worth your time. It doesn't dwell too long on the origin story and after the first few issues, Wonder Woman is well on her way to showing everyone what she's all about. Len Wein was the main co-writer with Pérez on this run, and they wrote Wonder Woman in a way that didn't diminish the character. She was as powerful and determined as ever. A lot of it also takes place in her world, as opposed to ours. She faces challenges from the Gods in one storyline, and when she is in America, she faces the Cheetah. Keeping in mind that this is from the 80s, there are some moments that might not fly in comics in 2017. However, this run of 14 issues, plus some extras, has some good stories and stellar artwork from Pérez. If you want to dig into Wonder Woman's history, it's a must-read. - @Deanna

Wonder Woman New 52 Vol. 1: Blood
    Writer: Brian Azzarello
    Artist: Cliff Chiang

New 52 Wonder Woman was good and you should read it. (Full description coming soon.) - @Henry

Wonder Woman: Earth One
    Writer: Grant Morrison
    Artist: Yanick Paquette

The cover image for Wonder Woman Earth One features Diana bound in chains. This image, like almost every element of this book, is carefully calculated to tell you a different kind of Wonder Woman story. For those unfamiliar, the “Earth One” line of graphic novels pairs together top talent in order to retell the origin stories of DC’s most popular heroes. These books are not tied to any other story being published at DC, and therefore should provide an easy gateway for new readers. In addition, it gives the talented writers and artists a chance to tell stories unencumbered by over a half century of continuity.

For Wonder Woman, writer Grant Morrison and artist Yanick Paquette chose to tell a story that embraced the original vision of Wonder Woman’s creator William Moulton Marston. Mr. Marston is an incredible interesting person. He played a part in inventing the lie detector test (giving the lasso of truth a new meaning), he also embraced alternative lifestyles, as evidenced by his polyamorous relationship. Mr. Marston was a feminist, who included in his works strong reactions to the ills of the patriarchy, but he also often worked with themes of dominance and submission, which for him were tied into eroticism (again, giving the lasso of truth new meaning).

Morrison and Paquette package all of this together, and more, in order to tell a modern version of Diana’s origin. This is a story seeped in feminism and fetishism. But it is also a superhero story, albeit a nontraditional one. This is a book that demands your attention and to be engaged seriously as a critical text. While far from perfect, Wonder Woman Earth One is a book that demonstrates how comics, and the character of Wonder Woman, are not easily cataloged. - @scottlechowicz

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

New promotional image has been released.

[​IMG]

3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

While I wish Michelle MacLaren was still attached, I'm cautiously excited. I don't remember Monster all that well, might give it a rewatch in the near future to get a feel for Patty Jenkins.

Looking forward to Chris Pine being damsel in distressed hopefully many times throughout the movie.

4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I'm very excited for this. I would love to see Chris Pine be a damsel in distress, but I highly doubt that's going to happen. Would love to be proved wrong though. I'd love for Wonder Woman to get all the typical cliche superhero shots where Pine is falling off a building, she swoops in and catches him and he looks up at her with that goofy wide eyed wonder look.

Side note: this is one of my favorite things about Supergirl. How often Kara gets to indulge in the superhero cliches of her male counterparts.

Nathan likes this.
  5. A lot of men on social media seem to be very mad at the shoe choice.

CarpetElf likes this.
  6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

whose shoe choice? Wonder Woman looks like she's wearing what Greek-ish sandals to me.

7. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha really?? Seems like a random thing to be mad about...

8. One of the people I follow on Twitter was RTing a bunch of the usual MRA accounts and making fun of them, it looked like they were saying stuff about the high heels and that if women want to be taken seriously as warriors they can't have high heels and show off their legs. I only casually read over it.

9. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Hmm.. Interesting. Would be curious to get more opinions on that, in regards to Hollywood style verses actual practicality. The Greek-ish sandals things as mentioned before does seem to fit, although I wouldn't think battling in something like that as warriors would be logical, as this is just is a promotional image. From some of the brief clips that have been show for this movie, just the way it looks to be shot with that darker look, I'm excited for it.

10. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Tim likes this.
  11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

SUCH EXCITE.

:wonderwoman:

People interested in the character in print should read the volumes of New 52 Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang, and also the current 9-issue limited series Legend of the Wonder Woman that's linked above.

lightning13 likes this.
  12. Meerkat

Yeah after seeing BvS I'm even more excited about this

Eric Wilson likes this.
  13. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The shot of her on a horse is the most brilliant and perfectly Diana shot ever.

The other most perfectly Diana shot is her being knocked down in BvS fighting Doomsday, smiling because she loves combat, grabbing her sword, and getting back to work.

14. Meerkat

God the Wonder Woman theme gets me so fucking amped. You could probably convince me I was capable of anything if that was playing in the background. Climb Mount Everest? Sure. Base jump? Sure. Lift a yacht above my head and throw it onto the beach? Absolutely.

15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Maybe read the comics! :D You might like them

Tim likes this.
  16. phaynes1

Regular

Loved Gadot's performance

17. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

For real.

Meerkat likes this.
  18. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

19. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Release date has been bumped up from June 23, 2017, to June 2, 2017! Also WB has two new untitled DC movies for Oct. 5, 2018 and Nov. 1, 2019.

Jason Tate likes this.
  20. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Why is there so much time from when a DC movie finishes filming and the release date? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like the wait is much longer on these than most films and the Marvel releases.

Eric Wilson likes this.
  21. lordjedediah

N00b3

I'll name those two movies: Batman Standalone and Superman 2

22. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

That's the way it seemed to me for BvS. Was such a long wait, but looks like with Justice League Part 1, filming is starting soon, and it is supposed to come out next fall, so at least that one isn't too much of a wait!

23. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

That's what I'm hoping for, and it makes sense. Get BvS in 2016, JLP1 in 2017, Batman in 2018, and then JLP2 and Superman in 2019.

24. Chummel

This Must Be My Dream

I like this idea as well. Hoping that one of those dates is for Batfleck

25. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely. Would love a full solo Batman movie with Ben to branch out the character more. Haha nice avatar by the way!