Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite The 1975 Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Feb 27, 2020.

?

We're not a pop band

1. The 1975

26 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It

63 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships

26 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

That first album is still classic for me. All killer, no filler. It juet creates such a fun vibe, it sounds like going to a hipster cofee shop in Uptown and then trashing an Urban Outfitters.

'Sex' is one of the best rock songs of all time in my opinion. So intense and explosive, with hooks for days. 'Robbers' is emotional as hell, and one of those perfect songs that comes along so rarely. 'Chocolate' 'She Way Out' & 'Settle Down' are amazing pop songs, and 'MONEY' & 'The City' are thoroughly engaging narratives.

I love the other two albums too, but that first one is the only one I can listen to straight through without getting bored.

If I had to rank them

Probably
    1. The 1975
    2. ILIWYSFYASBYSUOA
    3. A Brief Inquiry

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I lost a lot of interest after the first record. Looking forward to the new one though.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Sleep is one of my all time favourites, Inquiry isn't far behind.

5. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

ILIWYS is my favorite album of all-time but I’m pretty confident that NOACF will top it.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Love brief inquiry but I had so much time and so many memories with sleep that I think it’ll be hard to top.
    Notes is sounding good though.

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

2nd album for sure and probably always will be

trevorshmevor likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

It’s hard not to say ILIWYS but like @nohandstoholdonto said I think Notes might be the one that dethrones it.

The EPs together would probably be my favorite “album” of theirs but it would be a tough call.

what a great band

9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

ILIWYS is the only one I really love all the way through

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  10. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

I picked ILIWYS but I was pretty close to picking ABIIOR

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships is far and away their best

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

S/T (and the EPs to an extent) will always mean so much to me personally that it'll always be my #1.

That said, I'm glad to see how they've grown and branched out from that sound and hope they continue to do so.

13. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

ILIWYS is definitely my favorite, but ABIIOR is not far behind

I love the S/T but I don't think it touches the other two

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  14. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Not really even a hard question for me - the second LP. I do personally prefer some of the work/style of the work on the EPs, but LP2 hit the right balance for me. I really like ABIIOR, as it has some of my favorite 1975 songs, but it doesn't bop the way ILIWYS does. I fear the newest release will be below that given all the singles released thus far.

15. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

s/t is my fave but Brief is their best

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

ABI for me.

Truly have progressed on every album, and I think it’s their masterpiece.

17. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

ABI was their coming of age and announcement, but ILIWYS's more cinematic flow brings it up a notch for me. Feels like a complete experience when listening in full, compared to the more scatterbrained (intentionally) feeling of ABI. The s/t is front to back filled with incredible, fun material but they weren't quite able to say or prove anything beyond fantastic songwriting with it.

18. I Like It is the only one that flows perfectly front to back and has no duds. An achievement

19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

i like it when you sleep > s/t > brief inquiry

FTank, nohandstoholdonto and Aregala like this.
  20. ILIWYS without question. It's the only record where I think they actually nailed all the new things they were trying, bumps from cover to cover, and is the most well-produced of the three to me. Aside from all that, everything about that entire cycle was perfect -- the aesthetic change up, the singles, all the fun hype in the AP thread, the live show production, the music videos... idk, it all just felt super organic and well executed.

21. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah - I think that as they play around with styles/sounds/etc. more and more, the overall cohesion just isn't there as much. I also don't find their stuff as "fun" anymore. Certainly stuff to appreciate and admire, but not as enjoyable to listen to front to back for me.

22. drummerAVA

Trusted

I don't know how I'm going to decide on this one... give me a bit lol.

23. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I dunno, for me, A Brief Inquiry wins it by a significant margin. Has my favorite songs of theirs, & is the total creative statement that connects to me the most. It leaking on my 30th birthday & being the soundtrack to a less than ideal emotional season of my life is probably a big factor, lol, but even divorced from that... It's the one that clicks the most w/ my tastes.

Cameron and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  24. ILIWYS... for me, I think it strikes a balance in between the raw of S/T and the experimental of Brief Inquiry. That said, “People” got me excited more than any single in recent memory so I can’t really make a call until after I’ve had enough time with Notes

25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Inquiryyyyy