Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly Poll: Favorite Dance Gavin Dance Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Henry, Dec 12, 2019.

?

???

1. Downtown Battle Mountain

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Dance Gavin Dance

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Happiness

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Downtown Battle Mountain II

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Acceptance Speech

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Instant Gratification

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Mothership

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  8. Artificial Selection

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Rank em, tell us why, or just pick one.

Link to all of the other polls here. You can leave suggestions for new polls there or here. Whatevs.

2. Blink182Bouncer Dec 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2019)
    Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Instant Gratification is definitely my favorite because it feels like it's where DGD finally hit their stride because the production was such a step up from amything they'd done before and Tilian finally found his voice in the band's finalized lineup. So many catchy melodies, and the groove is tight across the board. My favorite 'On The Run' has greatly amusing Jon lyrics, and MASSIVE bridge. 'Death of a Strawberry' and 'Awkward' are great showcases of Tilian's pop-songwriting skills, while Shark Dad perfectly encapsulates how weird and random and heavy they can get-- that transition between the Verse & Chorus is the perfect encapsulation of how dynamic this band is. "We Own The Night' is a fan favorite that's one of DGD's few lyrical successee, but in my opinion 'Stroke, God Millionaire' is an underrated classic, so if you're going to listen to any song of the album, check that out.

I was so close to making it Mothership though, because that was their breakout album that broke them out of their mold and showed their legacy extended beyond their influential but underrated first 2 albums. So many iconic songs on that record.

I think my ranking is:

1. Instant Gratification
    2. Mothership
    3. Downtown Battle Mountain II
    4. Artificial Selection
    5. Acceptance Speech
    6. Downtown Battle Mountain
    7. Self-Titled
    8. Happiness

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  3. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Happiness is probably always gonna get my pick for number one tbh. From there it gets a little less clear bc my tastes change depending on mood. Tentatively:

happiness
    acceptance speech/Deathstar
    mothership
    instant grat
    DBMII/DBM
    artificial selection

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Deathstarrrrr

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I did NOT know Happiness was so loved.

6. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

I enjoy parts of Happiness more than most of their other albums but as a whole album it isn't my favorite. Mothership from start to finish is my favorite release. Frozen One, Inspire, Petting Zoo, Man of the Year and who can not love Flossie?

Cameron and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  7. -deleted-

-

I hate my mother, but I love the Mothership.

Cameron likes this.
  8. I equally love Happiness and Instant Gratification but might listen to the latter more often these days. Idk, I voted for it but if you ask me tomorrow, I'll pick Happiness.

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

As much as I love this band I never thought they’d have an AOTY contender for me and Mothership was just that. The guitar work and vocal melodies blow me away on each listen. Acceptance speech and DBM take the next 2 spots.

Cameron likes this.
  10. Jon

Regular

I have been meaning to check this band out again. I tend to lead more towards the jazzier, mathier, skronky bands when it comes to this genre. Which album of theirs would you all say I should start with based on my aforementioned preferences?

11. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

'Happiness' or 'Downtown Battle Mountain II' for sure.

12. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

Poll would tell you Happiness or Mothership. :)

13. Jon

Regular

Mothership was a bit too poppy for me but maybe I was just in a weird mood. I will have to get into their discography again.

14. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah start with Happiness, but expect something like math-funk

15. what

Regular

I think happiness and mothership are both better albums, but deathstar will always be my favorite.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Deathstar was my intro into them, but Mothership is also an almost perfect DGD album. Though honestly every album is great.

17. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

My heart tells me Instant Gratification. My mind says Happiness or Mothership. I'll go with my heart here.

18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Happiness by a pretty huge margin. It's the only one I love as a whole but I love it a lot.

19. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

The votes in here are actually pretty much identical to my own personal ranking of the albums.

20. Seph

Musician living in LA

Fav singer is def Kurt Travis, but I feel like Tilians voice fits DGD better.
    Johnny’s prolly my least fav but he’s got a great voice for sure talented.

1) Happiness
    2) Instant Gratification
    3) Down Town Battle Mountain
    4) Mothership
    5) Artificial Selection
    6) Acceptance Speech
    7) Down Town Battle Mountain 2
    8) Dance Gavin Dance

DGD/Circa Survive inspired my love for music, my band Here’s To Now just dropped a single that’s super inspired by their style.
    Would be absolutely honored for someone to give it a jam