Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 26

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Dude, I forgot about New Ways To Die. That was a fun story!

Generally when I think about Venom, I think about the Remender series (starring Flash Thompson as Venom!), but Cates and Stegman are really working magic on the current run.

2. Mike J

We talk too much / We talk in circles

I keep reading "writing" criticisms. On films like this, the script is a living and breathing thing. It's fluid and ever-changing. Hardy came up with many moments and sequences on the fly, including the lobster scene. My point is: unless you've read the script, I wouldn't immediately point the finger at the screenwriter. If this was television, then it'd be a different story.

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I used to consider the Remender Venom series his best (in spite of also defending Eddie Brock, who doesn't get enough credit as a character), but I'm already ready to rank the Cates run highest. Love it.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  4. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Monstress is one of my favorite series of all time. It combines folklore and fantasy and makes an epic the size of LOTR. Beautifully written.

5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Flash Thompson is my favorite Venom. Just read Venom Space Knight ;)

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I met Marjorie the other day and just fan boyed out a bit.

Shakriel and xapplexpiex like this.
  7. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m jelly

8. I had a lot of fun watching Tom Hardy eat food in this.

coleslawed likes this.
  9. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

this is the best buddy cop movie in a while to be honest.

primavera likes this.
  10. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

This sucked so much. I fucking loved it. It was so goddamn bad and I look forward to the sequel.

ECV, Mrplum5089 and jkauf like this.
  11. DeathOrGlory Oct 13, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 14, 2018)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

Like, from a filmmaking standpoint, it was a goddamn nightmare. Every line outside of Eddie and Venom's rapport was a hoary cliche or badly delivered exposition (or both). Characters spent a lot of time reiterating things that just happened. So many continuity errors and obvious reshoot scenes. Cheap-looking. There was an absolute lack of tension or drama. Unearned emotional stakes. Everyone but Tom Hardy was phoning it in. Mostly crappy action. Bad editing with no accounting for spatial awareness. So many shots were off-center in a way that annoyed the hell out of me. The godawful Eminem theme song. Just an overwhelming amount of ineptitude for a big studio film.

But I had so much fun. I hope that Venom becomes the Fast & Furious of superhero franchises.

Marx&Recreation, Zilla, ECV and 2 others like this.
  12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

When “Venom” said “I was a loser too.” I really wanted some space flashbacks of other aliens pushing him down or giving him atomic wedgies.

kidwithhelmet, dash64, ECV and 6 others like this.
  13. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Completely agree with all this and Woody Harrelson is the man to take it to the next ridiculous height

14. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

There will be...... CARNAGE!

15. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

How did you nail this so perfectly

16. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Ok you’ve convinced me to spend my hard earned money on this movie this week

17. CobraKidJon

i'll say it again when you look at it as a buddy cop movie it is great.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  18. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

This will be a great movie to sit down with my friends and get wasted while watching. It's probably the best so bad it's good superhero movie

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Now I can say without spoilers: There's a scene in here where a cop looks like he's about to be eaten whole by Venom says,
    "No! You don't eat policemen!" with complete sincerity. I think that underscores the level this movie was operating on

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  20. Not a flop.
    It wasn't quite as close as we thought it might be at the top of the box office, but last weekend's top two films definitely didn't disappoint. Sony's Venom held on even better than expected, delivering a second weekend at #1 while Warner Bros.'s A Star is Born continued to shine. As for the weekend's three new wide releases, Universal's First Man led the way, narrowly edging out Sony's Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween for third place on the weekend chart while Fox's Bad Times at the El Royale fell outside the top five.

With an estimated $35.7 million, Sony's Venom dropped just 55% in its second weekend as the film's domestic cume now totals $143 million after just ten days in release. Heading into the weekend a drop of 60%+ seemed most likely considering historical precedence, but the film continues to outperform expectations, holding on similarly to Logan, which dipped just 56.9% in its second weekend.

Tim likes this.
  21. Davjs

Trusted

So is this movie kind of like Suicide Squad, critics hate it but the audience say its fun but terrible and it makes a ton of money?

22. I've only ever seen one person say Suicide Squad was fun.

That person was wrong.

23. CobraKidJon

I’m telling everyone I know this

24. SS ended up making almost 750m worldwide and about 325m domestically. I don't think Venom's legs are that strong, but it does seem like a similar situation. Critics have been more forgiving to Venom, though.

Davjs likes this.
  25. Davjs

Trusted

Hmmm, I could have sworn in the thread a lot of people liked it, but that's years old by now.

I remember enjoying it when I walked out but when I watched it again at home with my wife, all the flaws stuck out terribly and I didn't really enjoy it at all.