Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 25

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Joe, Mar 16, 2017.

1. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Lmao "discount Tom Hardy"

2. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Totally agree. There were parts in Venom where I was wishing they ripped off Upgrade, though.

3. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Upgrade’s sooooo good

Dodger and jkauf like this.
  4. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

I had fun with this. Bring on the sequel.

The yellow symbiote that was shown briefly will hopefully be Scream right?

thedrudo likes this.
  5. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

I honestly enjoyed this more than I expected (though wouldn't call it a good movie). I got the fun I wanted. Tom Hardy was great, definitely putting in a lot more effort than everyone else. It starts off slow as fuck and often feels like a throwback from the 90s or something.

Knew what the mid-credits scene would be, but the post-scene has me so excited for later this year.

xapplexpiex and jkauf like this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Looking to make $70-80 million

7. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

best studio comedy since girls trip

8. GBlades

Trusted

Girls Trip was a fucking great movie.

9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

$80 million OW

10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Wow. That is seriously impressive

11. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Wonder what kind of legs it'll have

jkauf likes this.
  12. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Wow lol i agree with a lot of reviews. Definitely not a great movie. Bad dialogue. Rolled my eyes so many times. I can’t believe they allowed “I’m not Eddie Brock. Not anymore.” Lol Bland characters. Plot was so trite and uninteresting. But I was definitely entertained. Dug the humor for the most part. The Eddie/venom relationship as many have said. Venoms voice was awesome. CGI was great until the action started.

Biggest disappointment might be the action. After the reviews I was expecting a bad movie but I was hoping to at least get fun action. There was definitely some good moments but so much of it (especially the end) was incomprehensible close ups and quick cuts.

Definitely down for a sequel but I really hope they use that big box office to get better writers behind this thing (epecially because they better not get Carnage wrong)

13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Excited to see this dumb movie and to just be entertained throughout.

Yeah, I hope they do a good job with Carnage. I never understood people who don't like him just because he's a psychopath for the sake of being a psychopath.. it's literally no different from the Joker, who is arguably the most famous comic book villain out there.

Sure, more recent writers try to flesh him out a little more, but for the vast majority of his popularity, the Joker was just some mysterious psycho and that's what was so great about him.

Kuri44 likes this.
  14. My nerd sense just started tingling.

Kingjohn_654, primavera and RyanPm40 like this.
  15. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

The thing is, most people know these characters for their most popular story or stories. For Joker, it's probably something like The Killing Joke, which actually does present him as a rather interesting character that's the other side of Batman's coin. Ledger's Joker is also definitely to thank for the character's continued popularity even outside comic book fans. Carnage is most known for basically just being an edgy serial killer, which isn't as interesting for most people.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. Dodger Oct 7, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 7, 2018)
    Dodger

3 notes after sitting on it for a handful of hours:

-A good sign is that even though I was annoyed at times by the lack of intrigue in certain aspects, I’m so intrigued by other aspects that I want to see this again so bad. I liked AM&TW, BP more, but I didnt get that feeling with them.

- I agree that this movie didn’t need spiderman to work just better writing.

- I agree I would’ve enjoyed a rated R horror vibe to this movie much more in addition to some of the weird stuff, but the movie didn’t seem to be created to be R and didn’t need to be. More importantly there were so many kids next to me that we’re having a fucking blast so their plan definitely worked.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Just got home from this. Honestly I really liked it. But I'm a weird moviegoer.....I actually hated all the Avenger movies. Only Marvel movies I ever liked were Homecoming, GOTG, Ant Man and Deadpool. But this was entertaining. Dialogue got a little cheesy at times, and Hardy and Williams had zero chemistry, but it had me giggling a lot and I thought Hardy did a great job. Bring on the sequel.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Demi is the best

coleslawed and Zilla like this.
  19. Dodger Oct 9, 2018
    (Last edited: Oct 9, 2018)
    Dodger

Watched again. Went from enjoying it to not liking it lol first time that’s ever happened i think for me. 2/3 of this movie is just painful to sit through and the 1/3 wasn’t that good enough to make it an overall enjoyable experience. Get new writers please

20. This was middling, but there was some wacky fun to be had. I liked the Brock/Venom dynamic, which is what's most important assuming they're going forward with a sequel. Also, totally here for Woody Harrelson playing a serial killer/Carnage.

21. Watched this last night. Felt like The Room of comic book movies.

22. Also I love how they did reshoots to correct the pronunciation of symbiote from the trailer.

23. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

this was a boatload of dumb fun and that's all I really wanted

the first 20 minutes when it was attempting to build serious stakes was a total drag, once it let loose with the silly comedy I actually loved it. the kind of simple superhero movie I've really missed

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Venom has been out for about a week now. If you haven't yet, it's a perfect time to check out some of the character's comic appearances! The comic book thread has put together some recommendations for new readers. And, as always, if you want more suggestions (Venom or otherwise), come into our thread and talk some comics with us!

Venom by Donny Cates Vol. 1: Rex
    Writer: Donny Cates
    Artist: Ryan Stegman
    Preorder from Amazon.

Donny Cates is doing something that we haven't seen with Venom before. He's diving deep into the history of the symbiotes with his run and it's been nothing but wonderful throughout the first several issues. If you're new to Venom and want something great to start with, give this comic a shot. Plus, Ryan Stegman on art is just another thing this book has going for it. - @Deanna

Spider-Man: New Ways to Die
    Writer: Dan Slott w/ Mark Waid
    Artist: John Romita Jr. w/ Adi Granov
    Buy from Amazon.

"New Ways To Die" by Dan Slott and John Romita Jr. is one of my favorite Spider-Man arcs. Slott’s run is one giant soap opera, but a reader can jump into this arc and be ok. Peter faces Mister Negative, Venom, and Norman Osborn’s villains-turned-“hero” team called Thunderbolts. At this point in the Marvel canon, Osborn becomes the leader of SHIELD, renames it HAMMER, and makes his version of the Thunderbolts with characters who are more villains than anti-heroes. This is the first appearance of Anti-Venom, a redeemed Eddie Brock who is battling against the evil previous Venom host, Mac Gargan. There’s a ton of stuff happening in here, which should keep a reader turning the pages. Romita Jr.’s art is very polarizing, but I love it. It has a very distinct style. If you’re looking for something a little different from the traditional take on Venom, pick this up. - @xapplexpiex

Venom Vol. 3: Lethal Protector - Blood in the Water
    Writer: Mike Costa
    Artist: Mark Bagley, Paulo Siquiera
    Buy from Amazon.

Not to be confused with the original "Lethal Protector" story (see next entry), this is a story from Mike Costa's recent series. After years with Mac Gargan and Flash Thompson, the symbiote made its way back to Eddie Brock. This particular story from the series featured another Venom reunion: the return of veteran artist Mark Bagley. As a classic Spidey fan, I loved seeing Bagley draw Venom versus Kraven the Hunter. This is proof that Spidey's rogues work with or without ol' Webhead himself. Also of note: Costa focuses a lot on the symbiote's perspective, a decision that the film also dabbled in. - @Tim

Venom: Lethal Protector
    Writer: David Michelinie
    Artist: Mark Bagley, Ron Lim
    Buy from Amazon.

This classic Venom tale is a must-read if you're interested in the relationship between Eddie Brock and the symbiote. The movie is partially based off of this story and it doesn't take too long to get through. You could start with this series and still have a good understanding of Venom without diving too deep into the character's history. - @Deanna

Creator Owned Spotlight:
    Monstress Volume 1: Awakening

Writer: Marjorie Liu
    Artist: Sana Takeda
    Buy from Amazon.

'Monstress': Inside The Fantasy Comic About Race, Feminism And The Monster Within
    The fantasy world of Monstress is dark and unrelenting. In an unending war stuck in a stalemate, children of mixed blood are sold into slavery and used as fuel for the reigning pure blood sorceresses. Ghosts of ancients Gods the size of mountains haunt the war torn landscape. The story begins as what appears to be a simple revenge tale. Maika Halfwolf, one of my favorite anti-heroes I have ever read, is being sold into slavery along with a small half fox/half human named Kippa, who quickly becomes the vibrant light in the otherwise consistently dark tale. Immediately Maika takes her revenge and like any great fantasy epic, she realizes there is much more going on then she ever could have planned for. What Marjorie Liu has created here has continued to evolve into one of the best fantasy series I have ever read, fully deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as Tolkien, Martin, Sanderson, Jordan, etc... - @Vivatoto

Zilla, Joe4th, Dan O'Neill and 3 others like this.
  25. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

(Sorry the Further Reading post is almost a full week late, lol. Schedule, life, blah blah blah. @Henry can you throw this in the first post?)

Seriously, y'all especially have to read Donny Cates' Venom (which is phenomenal Marvel Comics fun, with references to mythology and 'Nam and the cosmic, plus some Miles Morales) and Monstress (which is thematically similar to Venom in a way you'll get if you check it out, and is rightly one of the hottest award-winning comics out there right now). Both are super new reader friendly. Get on that!

Dan O'Neill and Deanna like this.