Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Trailer for ‘Passengers’ Released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Hadn't heard of this before. The fact that it's from the director of The Imitation Game has me intrigued. According to Wikipedia though, the amount of money Pratt and Lawrence each got paid for this film is simply ridiculous. Above all else, I'm honestly just curious to see how much chemistry these two will share.

3. crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

From Wikipedia:
    According to this TIME article that actually references her booking Passenger, that puts Lawrence into a pretty elite club of actors who could make $20m a movie: Angelina Jolie, Sandra Bullock, Matt Damon, Robert Downey Jr., and Denzel Washington the others.

I would put JLaw in that list probably though. She's young, but her star has risen so high and so fast that having her in the movie gives this non-adaptation sci-fi flick credibility and worth the $120m budget. Passengers is going to want to ride the wave of big budget, mainstream space-themed movies like The Martian, Gravity, and Prometheus that we seem to get every year for the past 3-4 years and having bonafide starts like Lawrence and Pratt will get people into the theater.

Stealing this from a Reddit post I saw earlier, but Lawrence+Pratt romance means I can convince my wife to go see it with me, but there's more than enough shiny spaceship/solar flare/androids to get a sci-fi nerd like me to go see it regardless.

Passengers seems like a sure fire hit. Might not be anything award-worthy in the bigger categories, might not hold up in a few years, but most of us will walk out of theater thinking it was worth the $50 cost.

coleslawed likes this.
  4. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I used to say I'd follow Chris Pratt anywhere, but then I followed him into Jurassic World and came out with multiple facepalm imprints. This just looks bland, and there's a shot in there that rips off Sunshine. :redanger:

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  5. Ehhhh I still think I'd prefer to see the 2009 unmade version of this film that was supposed to be Keanu Reeves and Reese Witherspoon :crylaugh:

crowntownguy likes this.
  6. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Will be checking this out.

7. Expanse

This looks like a movie that would have a fake trailer play in front of Tropic Thunder.

8. Will Montei

"let her go" is my favorite song so glad there making a movie about it

9. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

Wish I'd stopped watching the trailer after the first 25 or so seconds, it had already sold me on wanting to see it, but then the rest just gave so much away, even if I might have guessed it was heading in that direction.