Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Hold Steady Announce Franz Nicolay’s Return

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 5, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Fantastic news. I've always thought what their last two LPs missed the most were Nicolay's contributions. Especially that last record whewwwwww

3. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

What has he been up to? I remember when he did keyboard for Against Me a few years back. Did he do a solo album?

4. kpatrickwood May 5, 2016
    (Last edited: May 5, 2016)
    kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

He's done a few. His most recent came out a couple years ago and is called "To Us, The Beautiful!" and it's pretty great. He also toured solo to a tonnnnnn of off the grid places and just put out a book about it. Check that out here.

Here's a taste of one of his solo records. Definitely dig deeper than this though, he definitely digs into some eclectic sounds. Here's his bandcamp with (I think) all of his solo stuff.

5. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

6. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Best news. Albums with Franz were among my favourite records ever. Separation Sunday is borderline top 10 all time for me. Their last two both had some good stuff, some not so good. But adding Franz (and stopping it with that flat production/reverb vox) will give this fantastic band a real boost.