Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Guitar Thread • Page 84

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by troyplaysbass, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Personally, Neural DSP or IK Multimedia's new TONEX plugin are the best, but for $90 bucks BIAS is a great introduction to the world of amp sims.

2. Friendjamin

Regular Supporter

I want to learn guitar for fun and am looking for some resources.

I probably won’t sink a crazy amount of time in this every day, so I’d prefer cheap or free resources (maybe YouTube videos?). I know how to read music and have an intermediate music theory knowledge so I don’t need to learn much on that end of things. I have access to a cheap, shitty acoustic guitar.

What do you guys think would be some good resources for me? Thanks so much

3. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Just treated myself to a Stone Deaf Warp Drive (Black Edition). I really look forward to getting home from work and realising that I haven't the patience of skill to dial in a parametric (paracentric?) EQ!

foomanfat and aspeedomodel like this.
  4. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Saw a Tone King Gremlin come up for sale in my neighborhood for like 60% off list price. Couldn't resist. Man, this thing sounds incredible. Love the simplicity, but there's also a ton of depth to it as well. Such a great sounding amp.

[​IMG]

5. noxee

Regular Prestigious

For people who still use pedals. How many reverb pedals do you have? I have an EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master, but they just dropped their new reverb pedal and my brain was immediately like “pretty, me want”.

6. troyplaysbass Aug 8, 2023
    (Last edited: Aug 9, 2023)
    The Big Sky is the only one I keep on my board all the time (and to be honest it’s overkill for what I do, but I love it), but I also have an Old Blood Procession and a Holy Grail that I play with if I want something different for recording.

noxee likes this.
  7. noxee

Regular Prestigious

Oh I’ve read about the Holy Grail, a lot of people seem to like it. I had been looking at a Big Sky at one point but I can’t justify the price at the moment.

Thanks for the input, what I’m hearing is embrace my pedal GAS haha.

8. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I have an RV-5 for the more standard sounds (plus the mod) and then a Slo for the more soundscape stuff. I'm sure I could convince myself of a third at some point lol

aspeedomodel and noxee like this.
  9. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues Supporter

I'm an amp reverb forever person, but honestly am doing 95% of effects on recorded guitar with plugins now. The Arturia spring and chorus are just the two best sounding things ever

paperlung likes this.
  10. aspeedomodel

I have a Dispatch Master (sometimes swap it for RV-5). Also have a Walrus Slovta and a Beautiful Noise When the Sun Explodes.

My El Cap V2 also has a spring reverb I can dial in which is very lovely.

noxee likes this.
  11. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

IMG_20230716_132549.jpg

Posted this in the other guitar thread, but whatever, I'm still excited about it.

My friend made me some humbucker sized P90s for my Telecaster Deluxe and they sound amazing, especially compared to the super muddy stock pickups. Also got inspired by Prince and put on a leopard print pickguard. I love it.

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

fwiw their new reverb seems pretty mid, think you could find better if you want a second reverb

13. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

I've got

Mr. Black Super Moon (big, open, post-rock friendly, very pretty)
    Walrus Audio Fathom (takes some fiddling to get dialed in right imo, but fun to play around with, sonar mode is cool)
    Blackout Effectors Cadavernous (sadly extinct maker, but this is one of my favorites)
    Earthquaker Dispatch Master (you're already familiar with this one lol)
    Robot Graves Sidereal (pretty workmanlike reverb, nothing fancy, but sounds good and gets the job done)

out of all of those, the Super Moon is my favorite, but the Cadavernous and the Fathom get used the most.

noxee likes this.
  14. MrCon

I just ("just"...) use a Strymon Blue Sky. I have a preset stored to the favourite switch, which acts as my sort of default amp reverb and then if I want to do something more ridiculous, I switch to the manual controls and dial in whatever weird OTT reverb is taking my fancy that day. TBH, I'm a simpleton, so it's more pedal than I probably ever need.

I got my hands on the Warp Drive last night (it arrived first thing and yesterday was an in office day). Plugged it into my Spark, stuck some headphones on (it was late) and two hours of my night just vanished. The EQ section gives it unbelievable variety. The Warp control (which I think is basically drive) also goes from kind of barky drive, into distortion and then a sort of OTT rat style fuzzy/distortion combo.

My only gripe is that without some sort of preset storage, switching between the variety of useful tones is going to be tough, because you have to really dial in the sweet spot. 5 of the 6 controls interact with each other. There's an awful lot of horrible swept garbage in that box too, if you're not careful.:crylaugh:

PXL_20230808_075638405.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

aspeedomodel and noxee like this.
  15. aspeedomodel

I've always wanted to try one of these Warp Drive pedals. Looks like so much fun.

16. MrCon

If you can get your hands on one to demo, absolutely do. It's such a different way to approach setting up a gain pedal.

17. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

There's another guitar thread?

18. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

19. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I've always wondered why we had two threads lol

20. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

This is the first I've ever heard of these but I want one now. Partly just for the aesthetics of it alone lol

MrCon likes this.
  21. MrCon

Texas Flood likes this.
  22. Friendjamin

Regular Supporter

I posted this a while ago and no one answered. I’d still appreciate some recommendations if anyone has any. I haven’t started learning yet.

23. drewinseries

Drew

Just play dude. Try to learn how to play songs you like. Learn tabs.

24. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

https://www.justinguitar.com/

a good starting point.

honestly though I didn’t start getting “good” at guitar until I started taking lessons. I know that’s not the necessary path for everyone, but having someone to point out issues with technique and send me down a definitive path (when there’s information overload online) was a total game changer for me.

Friendjamin likes this.
  25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Forgot about this page. I got my first Taylor and its coming in tomorrow. Amped!!