Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Grateful Dead Thread Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Wharf Rat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I wasn't expecting it to be so huge. Was wondering why it was taking 5 years lol

2. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

Touch of Grey is my jam. When I was little my father made a tape with nothing but this song on it for me. Kinda wish I still had it.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

Everyone - everyone - who liked American Beauty and Workingman's Dead should listen to this set. cc: @cshadows2887 @schlotty

Now look at that...coooold Jordan, look at it's...DEEEP water.....WIIIIIIDE river...oh, heavy mighty billows roll....

4. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

[​IMG]

5. Wharf Rat

A taste of the electric set from that show:

God, I love and miss Pig so much

6. Wharf Rat

Every damn time they did this was beautiful. They couldn't really do it...but that makes it better? It just hits so hard. Such a release after the tension of a second set climax like Good Lovin>Man's World>Dancin in the Streets>Morning Dew>Viola Lee

7. Wharf Rat

8. Wharf Rat

I love random archive.org reviews

9. Wharf Rat

10. Wharf Rat

are we already to the point where I am posting 6 times in a row in this thread? that is okay. that is the way it should be. it would be weird if it wasn't.

Anyway, u ever heard jazz cowboy songs? because they're sick. One of my fav El Pasos, the Mexicali and Big River from this show are similarly top tier. In an era where Billy leads the band more than any other on drums, these songs are the best example of it. It's so integral to the sound here. And the way Phil slides in and around and on top of his hits.....man.

11. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

crazy new forum but here I am

Wharf Rat likes this.
  12. Found this thread. Don't have to wonder who Chorus.fm user "Wharf Rat" is anymore hi Ben

Wharf Rat likes this.
  13. Wharf Rat

would've thought it would've been obvious anyway! but glad you're here

14. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

anyway, here's a show that happened to have its 26th anniversary yesterday

Wharf Rat likes this.
  15. Wharf Rat

One of the last classic shows. Wish I had noticed the date yesterday and listened.

16. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

The opening Help>Slip>Franklin's is as good as it gets

Wharf Rat likes this.
  17. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

Should I get a Dead tattoo yes or definitely yes?

Wish I could make it out to a Dead and Company show this summer, I want to hear 'Bertha' live before I die

Wharf Rat likes this.
  18. Wharf Rat

Definitely yes. Don't think I've heard Bertha either, its one of my favs. Hope they play it at SPAC or Hartford

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Anyone listen to the recent Joe Russo's Almost Dead run at Brooklyn Bowl? Unreal.

21. Jakobindeed

@Wharf Rat what Dick's Pick should I listen to tonight, I can't decide/haven't really delved into those yet

22. Wharf Rat

Idk how much time you have but my favs are 8 and 4 off the top of my head. And any one from spring 77

23. Jakobindeed

I've got all night, I'll check 'em both out, thanks Ben!

24. Wharf Rat

God. Damn. I love this song so much. It's one of my favorites for sure, an absolute tour de force in cohesiveness and connection as a band. I think, generally, this song is more suited for the 73-74 style, more jazzy, one drummer, etc, but this version is definitive. Keith's piano solo is exactly as it should be, he sounds like fucking Bud Powell (well, maybe a sleepy Bud Powell) on it. The way they achieve that bouncy ass sound is so good. I'm still picking it apart and trying to figure it out, but I know it's all in the rhythm section. Something about Phil staying high on 2 and 4 and really nailing that low note for the 1 and 3, and Keith always being there right with him. As are both the drummers of course, but that's harder for me to specifically decipher personally. And Bob's thing he does throughout it...I don't know what the technique is but he places these little *pingggg*s perfectly throughout. Idunno. Still can't describe what's going on here sufficiently for myself, which makes it one of my favs. That BOUNCE is so fascinating to me. And the lyrics are great too obviously.

Anyway, track 3 here: Grateful Dead Live at Swing Auditorium on 1977-02-26 : Free Streaming : Internet Archive

25. Wharf Rat

Ah, here it is on youtube. 15:55 if the time stamp doesn't work

nothingsforeverdude likes this.