Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Phish Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by WordsfromaSong, Mar 31, 2016.

1. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

The official thread for all things relating to this crazy ass band from Vermont. Not expecting this to be super popular but for those of you feeling open-minded and adventurous, try some of these out:

2. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Aw man, beat me to it! Something tells me it's just going to be you and I in here. Confused as to why you only put studio versions, but hey, when it comes to Phish it's impossible to tell someone where to start.

Either way, I'm really psyched for summer tour. Lucky enough to be catching 10 shows:

-2 Wrigley
    -3 SPAC
    -2 Philly Mann
    -1 Hartford
    -2 Lockn'

3. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

As of late I have been crushing the Coral Sky show. For my money this deserves to be in the top 10 shows discussion. Karl Perazzo added as double percussion is a great wrinkle, but the show is just so tightly played from top to bottom.

For me the highlight has to be the Crosseyed and Painless -> Run Like an Antelope that opens the second set. 38 minutes of absolute perfection. The Crosseyed gets super dark, demented, in the weeds and the Antelope gets SMOKING hot before the "rye, rye, Rocco" section. Check them out:

WordsfromaSong likes this.
  4. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Yeah wasn't expecting much of a response, assuming most people here aren't familiar with Phish I figured it would be easier to start with some studio stuff. As for summer tour, looks like I'll only be hitting Lockn but I'm ridiculously stoked.

5. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

That Coral Sky show is good stuff, the Crosseyed jam is just insane

6. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Lockn' is going to be so good, man. I'm really excited for those JRAD late night sets. They absolutely burned down Brooklyn Bowl last weekend. Live For Live Music has recordings of all the sets...the Hard To Handle -> Franklin's Tower is UNREAL.

7. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

@WordsfromaSong Judging by your username, is your favorite song "The Curtain (With)"? I'm 25 shows in and I've still never gotten a Curtain or Curtain (With). I love that song. If you have any dynamite versions, hit me with some dates to listen to!

8. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Wouldn't say it's my favorite but it's definitely up there. The one from the Clifford Ball is pretty excellent, along with the rest of the festival.

9. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Happy anniversary to Island Tour, just an incredible run of shows.

10. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

As a Long Islander, it pains me that I was too young (born in '89, also didn't get into Phish until 3.0, first show in 2011) to attend those Island Tour shows. Amazing that three of Phish's greatest shows (I'm including 2/28/03 as well) took place at Nassau Coliseum.

All four Island Tour shows are obviouly top to bottom fuego, and while I know most people default to Roses Are Free -> Nassau Jam as the numero uno jam of the run, I'm partial to the FUNKIEST Cavern ever. This is a top 10 version of any Phish song for me.

11. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Also, was bored a few months back and put together my top 10 Phish songs/versions:

“Ghost” - 7/6/98 - Prague, Czech Republic (Lucerna Theater)

“Back On The Train” - 2/28/03 - Uniondale, New York (Nassau Coliseum)

“Stash” - 6/11/94 - Morrison, Colorado (Red Rocks Ampitheater)

“Cavern” - 4/5/98 - Providence, Rhode Island (Providence Civic Center)

“Suzy Greenberg > Darien Jam #1” - 9/14/00 - Darien Center, New York (Darien Lake Performing Arts Center)

“Reba” - 12/7/95 - Niagara Falls, NY (Niagara Falls Convention Center)

“Weekapaug Groove” - 12/31/95 - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

“David Bowie → Mind Left Body Jam → David Bowie” - 6/18/94 - Chicago, IL (UC Pavilion, University of Illinois)

“Tweezer > Prince Caspian” - 8/22/15 - Watkins Glen, NY (Watkins Glen International)

“Down With Disease” - 12/29/13 - New York, NY (Madison Square Garden)

12. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Stumbled upon this lengthy Machine Gun Trey compilation. Couple of things I recognize on here, couple of things I don't, so should be good to check out.

I kind of wonder if that Machine Gun style that permeates a lot of 1.0 will ever come back, but I'm appreciative of experiencing the 3.0 era for two reasons: 1) it seems like back in the day the highs were very high and the lows were very low. Though there were consistent all-time shows, there were also resounding duds. These days it seems that you are consistnetly getting servicable to great shows, there are no real lulls, always something redeemable. 2) 3.0 seems like a true medley of the eras of Phish, so there's something for pretty much everyone—the funk, the bliss, the sinister. It's all there.

13. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Yeah people really make a big deal about he machine gun style which is understandable because it's awesome hearing Trey shred his ass off, but I really appreciate the more low-key approach he's had during 3.0. Instead of just going for a crazy solo every time now he can really open up the space in a jam and let the other guys shine a little more, which leads to the great full-band improv they've been doing the last few years. Plus, i think it makes it that much more effective when he does decide to shred like he used to.

14. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

In terms of Machine Gun Trey and Phish in general, an all-time favorite. 11:35 for blastoff. What a great show front to back...would love to see them in Europe.

15. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

16. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

17. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

It gets lost in how epic the Halloween show was, but man...such a great cover.

18. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

For your 420 listening pleasure, here's an absolutely insane tweezer with a nice jibboo for the come-down.

19. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

RIP Prince

20. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

21. WordsfromaSong

Trusted

Been really digging the bluegrass stuff they were into in '94 lately. This documentary is a pretty cool watch if you've got the time.

22. marceting

Trusted

Llama ftw

Edit: Also love The Horseshoe Curve by Anastasio

23. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

If you're a Llama guy, I recommend these two SMOKING hot versions:

Also, the funky slowed down Llama from Raleigh this summer is really cool!

24. marceting

Trusted

Holy hell. Just listened to all three in a row, each one was quality. Thank you!

Drewski likes this.
  25. I've been listening to the 2015/16 New Years shows. So far so good.