Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The DIY Music Thread

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. cwhit Mar 6, 2016
    (Last edited: May 10, 2016)
    cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

OP band list in progress, just wanted to get the thread up. You know what it is if you're here. Discuss the best scene in music right now. Lots of overlaps between these categories, obviously

The scene transcenders:
    Mitski
    Frankie Cosmos
    Porches
    Waxahatchee

Exploding In Sound Records:
    Palm
    Two Inch Astronaut
    Stove
    Leapling
    Big Ups
    Soft Fangs
    Washer
    Swings

Double Double Whammy/The Epoch
    LVL Up
    Eskimeaux
    Told Slant
    Bellows
    Florist
    Quarterbacks
    Yowler

DC/Baltimore Music
    Outer Spaces
    Other Colors
    Bad Moves
    Polyon

teebs41 likes this.
  2. cwhit

Bellows and Told Slant on the Hotelier tour, hopefully this means new Told Slant very soon

3. cwhit

I'm seeing Diet Cig tonight

4. cwhit

Wtf people post in here
    Horse Jumper Of Love record is really good, seeing them tonight

5. PyramidPostcard

avocado squirrel rides again Prestigious

Told Slant recorded a new album recently i know, so i'm sure that'll get a release date soon.

6. cwhit

Yeah I'm very willing to bet we get an album before the tour

7. cwhit

8. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

that's v good. snatched immediately

9. cwhit

10. cwhit

The New Alternative Music Festival - Tickets - Convention Hall - Asbury Park, NJ, September 16, 2016 | Ticketfly

Holy crap this lineup

Day One: California X, Nato Coles and the Blue Diamond Band, DUSK, Giant Peach, Kindling, Longings, Moor Mother Goddess, Nude Beach, Ought, P.S. Eliot, Pinkwash, The Rememberables, Sammus, Screaming Females, Tenement

Day Two: Aye Nako, Mal Blum, Downtown Boys, Dyke Drama, Girlpool, Izzy True, Amy Klein, Outer Spaces, Shellshag, Laura Stevenson, Try The Pie, Upset, Vagabon, Worriers

Day Three: Antibodies, Daniel Bachman, Basement Benders, Big Eyes, Chain And The Gang, Jamie Kilstein and The Agenda, The Max Levine Ensemble, Mikey Erg, Mirah, Painted Zeros, Puff Pieces, Radiator Hospital, Roadside Graves, Selector Dub Narcotic, Trophy Wife

11. phaynes1

Regular

Only knew four names out of those. Severely out of touch with DIY scenes.

Epic 18 likes this.
  12. cwhit

Which ones?

13. phaynes1

Regular

screaming females, laura stevenson, mikey erg, radiator hospital

14. cwhit

Ought is amazing, really excellent canadian post-punk band that put out a top ten record for me last year. P.S. Eliot is the old band of the Crutchfield sisters (waxahatchee/swearin). Tenement/Downtown Boys are super hypey in DIY punk right now. Aye Nako is a great queer punk act, same with Mal Blum (whom I just fell in love with last week). Girlpool headlined over Alex G and Eskimeaux, and also Frankie Cosmos last year, so they're getting really big. Chain And The Gang is Ian svenonius of Nation of Ulysess. Max Levine Ensemble, The Rememberables, and Outer Spaces are really great DC/Baltimore bands. Dyke Drama is the lead singer of G.L.O.S.S's other project.

I've heard of a bunch of other ones but I don't really know much about them, but this is a really really excellent lineup.

Epic 18 and phaynes1 like this.
  15. cwhit

bump for the newbies

16. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

I doubt ill buy anything, but im way to excited to see what type of shenanigans derrick came up with this year for the BWM april fools sale tonight. Its gotten more insane year after year.

17. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

omg ps eliot reunion

18. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

god i hope they play more shows. i need to hear asphalt and watch on mute live before i die

19. matthaber

Had a ticket to Alex G/Porches for tonight but Im feeling low-key sick so im bailing on it to heal up for BWM fest. This fucking sucks.

20. cwhit

Idk if it was just the venue sound or what but apparently Alex G's show here on this tour was hands down his worst performance he's done here. And that's out of a lot over a long period of time.

21. matthaber

that makes me feel better about it then aha. Hes playing one of my least favourite venue's in toronto (which is one of the main reasons im cool skipping the show) so im sure they wont sound any better here.

22. cwhit

Maybe it was an off night because he's been great when I've seen him, but I heard from a lot of people that it wasn't good.
    Don't feel that much better though, apparently porches killed it, haha

23. matthaber

ugh, why did you tell me that!

I actually feel Porches is gonna have a much more responsive crowd than Alex G here. He seems to have gotten a ton of hype recently. I know a ton of people who dont pay attention to this scene at all who are going just for him.

24. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

That asbury park festival posted above is siiiiiiick. I probably won't get tickets for a while because idk where I'll be in September, but if I'm still in the area I'll definitely be there.

25. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Subbing