Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Dear Hunter - Act V: Hymns With The Devil In Confessional (September 9, 2016) Album • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Dog with a Blog

Act V > Act II > Act III > Act IV > Act I

Love the Color Spectrum. Migrant is very boring imo.

2. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I quite like Migrant, both as a side story to the Acts (which someone in the subreddit made a compelling argument that Migrant could well be in that universe and Casey himself said it is certainly possible) but it's also just a solid prog rock album. It and the Color Spectrum are great ways to convey to us that Casey and TDH isn't a one trick pony.

If I were a betting man I'd say Act VI is going to be a short film

coleslawed and Joe4th like this.
  3. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I think the color spectrum is my favorite.
    Black, white and indigo being my favs of the set. Also one of my favorite vinyl purchases ever. Ha

4. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah TCS is great both as a concept and in it's execution.

5. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Curious where you would rank The Color Spectrum.

6. CoffeeEyes17

It's the one I've listened to the least so I'm not sure myself tbh. But from I've heard i enjoyed it quite a bit

7. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Listening to act V right now.
    The Cascade is so fucking cool

CoffeeEyes17 and teebs41 like this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Mr Usher is a favorite for me off that, I love the swing style to it and I love how well such an integral character is introduced so late into the story yet somehow he fits perfectly

Joe4th and Bloodsucker II like this.
  9. felipecardel Jun 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 17, 2017)
    felipecardel

formless in the night Prestigious

a lot of people think "The Revival" is the weakest song on Act V but i love how it's basically TDH in a nutshell. can't pick a single favorite from that or any album though

i have an easier time picking my favorite TDH song overall (either "1878" or "Misplaced Devotion") than favorites off each album. though i guess those two would be my favorites off Act I and TCS respectively

10. atlas

Trusted

I can't decide what the best song on Act V but it's one of The Moon/Awake or The Most Cursed Of Hands. Act IV is more consistently good tho.

Quercus likes this.
  11. CoffeeEyes17

I think "City Escape" is my favorite overall song. It was the first song of theirs I hear and I think its orchestrated and performed immaculately. The "In the heat of the niiiiiiiight (WHOAAAaaaaaAAAAA) part gets stuck in my head constantly.

Joe4th and felipecardel like this.
  12. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

red hands is my fav song by them, one of my fav live moments was the crowd at the color spectrum tour singing along

god that show was good. deas veil and a pre garden window o'brother opening

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  13. felipecardel

when i was younger, for the longest time i could only listen to "City Escape" cause i thought everything else was way too different -- too boring or "not rock enough". so that's probably my most listened to TDH song. def one of my favorites as well

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

I love how pissed off the priest sounds on "The March." That song gets me so excited.

15. christsizedshoes

Trusted

BTHATS easily eclipses any individual TDH release for me still. I admire the hell out of Casey, but I'll be damned if he can ever make a record that captivates me all the way from front to back. Act IV comes closest.

16. CoffeeEyes17

I'll always go to bat for BTHATS as the best TREOS release, but given how much I've finally clicked with what TDH is doing I think I'd at least put Act IV and Act III over it. Maybe even Act II which now that I've spent even more time I'd say is my second least favorite. The middle kinda drags a bit but it's got possibly my favorite ending set of songs out of all the albums.

Fuck it here we go

Act IV
    Act III
    BTHATS
    Act V
    Act II
    Migrant
    TCS
    Act I

It's weird because Act I has my favorite TDH song but it feels like such a prologue I mean hell one of the lyrics is literally "the stage is set". Honestly I'd rather not separate the Acts and imagine them as one loooong album but for the sake of ranking and discussion here we are haha. All in all Casey hasn't made a bad album or even a bad song

17. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

I realize that this is just an outrageously unpopular opinion, but my favorite is Migrant. Far and away.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  18. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Probably mine too. It's so much easier to listen to. The acts get overwhelming

19. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Migrant and Act V are basically tied for me.

20. CoffeeEyes17

Maybe it's because I'm such a big Coheed fan but the Acts don't feel quite as overwhelming to me. Granted I've attempted to get into them many times and it took a night for me to understand all the story nuances but in comparison to how lucid and borderline nonsensical the Coheed story is the Acts are pretty straightforward. Now in terms of sheer volume of songs I totally get the overwhelming feeling but much like Coheed i think the Acts can be enjoyed as individual albums and songs just as much as they can as a massive concept story. Understanding the story of each can be very rewarding though.

Joe4th likes this.
  21. CoffeeEyes17

Brb writing a fan fiction head canon in which The Hunter and The Crowing are actually the same person that is reincarnated and the alternate history in The Acts causes the world to change into the world of Heavens Fence because time is a delicate stream and oh no I've gone cross eyed

coleslawed and Joe4th like this.
  22. felipecardel

my favorite Casey is that orchestra he did

coleslawed and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  23. Quercus

Regular

I think it's easier to connect to Migrant given how personal it is. Although I feel the Acts contain the high points musically, the instrumentation on the latter part of This Vicious Place is as good as it gets. I think it should have been the closing song.

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator