Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Book Thread Book • Page 88

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I’m sure we’ll go back and read it but it’s already been checked out. So I’ll have to wait.

2. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Turn of the Key sounds great, and all the advanced copy reviews seem very positive. August release, correct? I've actually only read Mrs. Westaway and Woman in Cabin 10 ... so thankfully I still have In a Dark, Dark Wood to read. Have you read the Lying Game? The plot didn't catch my attention but would love to be convinced otherwise!

But yeah I'm thinking I may just order The Fourth Monkey on Amazon, maybe I'll read it next? I have all next week off from work so I was considering to use that time to read Under the Dome by Stephen King ... but we shall see!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  3. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

Yep, early August! Really glad that it's getting great reviews I honestly haven't seen anything on it yet. I feel like her writing and story telling just keep getting better, so I'm fully onboard for whatever she writes next. I read all 4 of her books last year and would put The Lying Game at the bottom as my least favorite. All of her books are good just that one is alot more like teenage drama than adult drama kinda. Which is funny because if you were to look at Goodreads, it seems like most on there like it the best :crylaugh:

Nice! I've only ever actually read The Outsider by SK but I'm very interested in The Institute and I loved the audiobook versions of Mr. Mercedes trilogy that I'm willing to actually read those "again"

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  4. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I remember reading The Lying Game's plot and was like ...ehh? I feel like I'll want to read it just because her writing is so easy to digest and I want as much of her writing as I can get, but probably won't be rushing anytime soon for it lol. In a Dark, Dark Wood should be great to read!

I got back into reading because of Stephen King. I've read a decent amount but still so much to go. And to be honest ... I rank the Mr. Mercedes trilogy (plus the Outsider) right up there as some of my favorites of his. Mr. Mercedes is awesome. I was hooked from the opening scene and really loved it. Finders Keepers was a step below and End of Watch was a few steps down, however, The Outsider might be my favorite or at least tied with Mr. Mercedes of the four!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  5. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I see what you mean by "read in a fairly short timeframe" lol.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  6. Colby Searcy

Yeah it took me longer than I wanted and definitely had forgotten things by the end but it was a great read.

Did you finish?

7. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Oh no not yet! I'm only like 130 pages in ... but I can already tell if it takes me a few weeks, with days off in between, I would be lost and forget everything. I love it so far!

Colby Searcy likes this.
  8. Colby Searcy

Anybody read any books by Lisa Jewell?

I think @Donnie Ruth and @Texas Flood y'all would like her books.

I've listened to Then She Was Gone and just finished Watching You. Loved Watching You!

Donnie Ruth and Texas Flood like this.
  9. OotyPa Jun 29, 2019
    (Last edited: Jun 30, 2019)
    OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Finished On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous. Sped through that damn thing. It was absolutely beautiful and brilliant. On to the next one!

Downloaded The Melancholy of Resistance, a 1989 novel by Hungarian writer László Krasznahorkai. Love the surreal lyrical shit.

10. Texas Flood

Mulva? Supporter

I’ve seen both of those books pop up on Goodreads before. I’ll have to check them out.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

if there's a thread for this feel free to lmk, but I was wondering if you all had collections of poetry you'd recommend? trying to broaden my horizons

12. Colby Searcy

@angrycandy poetry the only one that matters

angrycandy and EmmanuelSCastle like this.
  13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i've got most of his books haha. but all my books are in boxes rn so i was looking to use the opportunity to read a little more broadly until i get to unpack them :(

angrycandy and Colby Searcy like this.
  14. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I’m an absolute sucker for the European romanticism period of poetry. Especially some of the Spaniards who were contemporaries of Woodsworth and Coleridge

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'll start there then! any Spaniards in particular you enjoy and recommend checking out?

16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I wrote a paper on one in college...Giacomo Leopardi is the name coming to mind but that seems like a VERY Italian name :crylaugh:

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

no worries I'll start there anyway. if you remember anymore and feel so inclined feel free to drop em in here or wherever

Garrett L. likes this.
  18. GBlades

Trusted

There is actually a Poetry thread, if someone hasn't mentioned it already :-)

Poetry & Lyrics • forum.chorus.fm

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

20. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah, took its time to get revived before so don't know the chances for it this time....

21. drewinseries

Drew

Just plowed through Penpal by Dathan Auerbach in one day/two sittings. Really creepy read. I loved how the chapters are told from the memory of a child so what seems inconsequential to the narrator screams red flag to the reader.

22. drewinseries

Drew

Just read Penpal which I recommend. It's a non-supernatural spooky read if that is a factor for you.

Kiana likes this.
  23. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I don't usually read two books at once, but I put down The Melancholy of Resistance temporarily to read Clarice Lispector's Água Viva. It's this utterly gorgeous novel-length (super hard to define) prose poem/meditation on life and time's urgency/essay/collection of confessions. Either way, it's really fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. The first ten pages had me mystified and clinging to each word.

jordalsh likes this.
  24. omg Água Viva is incredible. Lispector was in a league of her own. I cannot fathom how she puts together the sentences that she does.

OotyPa likes this.
  25. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Hmmm both also for me popped up on Goodreads. I’ll keep an eye out, thanks!

Colby Searcy and Texas Flood like this.