Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Stephen King Book • Page 34

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Vivatoto, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Hmm I honestly haven't read as many of his books as I hoped before watching this. But I think either watching Shawshank Redemption or reading the novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption (in Different Seasons) would be a good idea.

Here's an article I found with recs, too. Your Guide to the King-Sized World of 'Castle Rock' - Signature Reads

Donnie Ruth likes this.
  2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

That's so cool. Do you know when the embargo lifts? (assuming that's information you could share)

3. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

In a week! Seems early since the show isn't out until July 25th, but that's what they said hah. I'll likely wait to post my recaps until the day of the show just to avoid spoilers, but maybe I can do a first impression thing here or in the Castle Rock thread if there is one.

4. Vivatoto

Oh wow that is super early. Confidence tends to be a good sign.

5. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Yeah. Looks like there is a Castle Rock thread (TV Show - Castle Rock (Hulu, Summer 2018)).

If anyone is interested, I'm definitely down to do some first impressions/answer some questions in there once the embargo lifts.

6. TedSchmosby

Trusted

11/22/63 was one I was unsure I’d ever get to because of the historical angle not appealing to me, but I reminded myself why I love King’s stories and started it a week ago. Just finished, and yeah, it’s great (though the stuff with Lee in the middle was the slowest part of the book, for me)

7. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Watching Dolores Claiborne for the first time. Haven’t read the book yet though.

8. Vivatoto

They're both great

9. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Enjoyed the movie quite a bit!

10. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I felt like The Outsider was 3/4 of a great book. The last act was pretty by-numbers for procedural crime books that was super predictable and inevitable.

11. BackyardHero11

Trusted

just started the audiobook for NOS4A2, pretty excited

12. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

Starting Pet Sematary

chewbacca110 and Night Channels like this.
  13. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I’m thinking abt starting Cujo but I think it’s just going to make me sad hah.

14. chewbacca110

Re-watched Carrie over the weekend. That whole prom scene leading up to the blood bucket is so incredibly sad. Movie mostly hold up too!

15. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

16. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

There's always like 10 copies of that book in the few Used Book Superstores near me. I guess now's a good time to check it out!

17. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Yeah, that's one I've always seen around, and I have it on my bookshelf, but I've never gotten to it. I like what the writer of the article had to say about a low-budget, low states production being the best way to go.

Also, I rewatched Pet Sematary last night. I had seen it only a couple years ago, and liked it just fine, but this time around, it floored me. I can definitely say it's a top 5 King adaptation.

18. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

From A Buick 8 is the worst King book I've read.

Very excited to watch Pet Sematary soon - I read it last week and it was classic King horror. Loved it.

Deanna likes this.
  19. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

almost ashamed to admit I've not read pet sematary, and I've read a ton of king

20. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I haven’t read From a Buick 8 yet, but if you didn’t like it, I might hold off on checking that one out.

Ryan Gardner likes this.
  21. drewinseries

Drew

Outsider ends poorly, but I still couldn't put it down.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  22. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I felt it was a pretty underwhelming ending....compared to the first 200-300 pages.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  23. dlemert

Trusted

The Outsider is 2/3 of a perfect book and 1/3 a fine one.

24. chewbacca110

Glad I'm not the only one that thought The Outsider petered out towards the end.

25. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Starting Different Seasons today since I'm recording a podcast on Shawshank Redemption this weekend. I think next up will be Cujo (as far as Stephen King books go, anyway).

Ryan Gardner likes this.