Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Soul, Funk and Motown Genre • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Apr 21, 2019.

1. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I remember being so excited to find this record in a basement record store in Baltimore.

cshadows2887 and The Lucky Moose like this.
  2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I literally just remembered that I’m pretty sure was you who told me to check out James Carr back in the day.

That was a great fuckin’ rec

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  3. williek311

Yeah James Carr rules, there are some other good artists on that goldwax label too.

4. cshadows2887

I just looked up their roster and Carr is the only one I know, so that's exciting.

5. williek311

OV Wright originally recorded "Thats How Strong My Love Is" it became more popular when it was beautifully covered by the great Otis Redding. I would suggesst checking OV Wright though.

phaynes12 likes this.
  6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

PauLo likes this.
  7. PauLo

43% Burnt

That's going on my to-listen list

8. williek311

If anybody has any tidbits are interesting bits of trivia those would be appreciated. Foudn it interesting that Duane Allman use to camp outside of FAME studios just to do some studio muscian work and met Wilson Pickett and ends up playing lead guitar on his cover of "Hey Jude" (what a ridiculoulsy good cover) which led Eric Clapton to hear it and remark it was the greatest guitar playing he's ever heard on R&B track.

phaynes12 likes this.
  9. cshadows2887

I also feel like his playing on that one is so atypical of his style. Very rhythmic. It’s awesome to hear Duane’s versatility.

10. cshadows2887

My favorite bit like that is that the whistle solo on “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay” was a placeholder for some other solo to be overdubbed later, but Steve Crooper recognized that it should stay exactly as is.

williek311 likes this.
  11. williek311

Yeah he actually forgot the lyrics and then whistled in the coda. After recoding The song everybody realized including Otis that this was his greatest song and going to be his ‘first million seller’ to quote Redding.

12. williek311

This is the best either recognizing a sample in a song or hearing a song and realizing where someone got a sample or drum break from.

PauLo likes this.
  13. williek311

14. cshadows2887

15. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

16. williek311

This jazz funk fusion track goes so hard

17. cshadows2887

Damn, man. Coming through with the GEMS. This song cooks.

18. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

these all rip and theyre all nicely formatted

cshadows2887 likes this.
  19. PauLo

43% Burnt

I never know whether to put jazz funk in here or the jazz thread haha

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

i didnt know this thread existed lol. i love me some jazz funk was just re listening to this last night, feels like it premiered years ago but it was the beginning of lockdown lol

21. PauLo

43% Burnt

After listening to more 80's electro funk and just funk in general, i'm pleased to say Dâm-Funk has finally clicked with me. I always used to listen to him and not get it, but today it all fell into place. Really great stuff.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  22. williek311

If you want to continue that path you should check out Starship Commander Woo Woo - Mastership, it's a wild ride, but the title track rules.

PauLo likes this.
  23. PauLo

43% Burnt

I remember hearing this last year and thinking “woah, Crazy In Love is a sample!?”. It’s definitely one of those songs that doesn’t sounds like it is a sample! Although it’s so obvious when you listen carefully, which I obviously never did haha

And whilst I wouldn’t say Beyoncé and Jay ruined it, the original is so much better IMO.

24. williek311

Kool G Rap’s #1 With A Bullet did it better.

25. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious