Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 45

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

AndrewSoup likes this.
  2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Question in regards to the recent discussion on how to best utilize this thread:

For posts like the above one by @xkhiemster, should we have some sort of "content warning" policy?

So that, if we're able to get better representation conversation going in the new year, people will be able to read the thread without engaging racism, etc., that they might not be mentally prepared to engage?

(Btw, yeah, wow, that's frickin' awful. Rose is great. Racists are trash.)

storm likes this.
  5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

AndrewSoup and Kiana like this.
  6. yyyeah, I think we need this thread for the positive and the negative. Pretty sure every single one of them have been nominated for one thing or another at some point, as deserving as they are, so it's not exactly a shift in focus...

storm likes this.
  7. lightning

Right but for the negative it didn't have to be about abuse and similar stuff. That's why the accountability thread exists. That's all I meant.

8. Tim

I do think that, in addition to making sure posts that belong in the Accountability thread go there instead of here, it'd be a good idea for posts about racism, etc., that fit best here open with something like "Content Warning: Racism." If that seems like too much, sorry, but I think it'd be a pretty tasteful strategy.

Also, I like the idea of coming up with good, creative ways to spur more discussion about media created by and starring marginalized people. Maybe every few months have a conversation about good media from the past few months, and/or an annual roundup. I certainly would appreciate seeing some good movie recs, for example, and also wouldn't mind throwing out some good comic book recs here and there.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  9. Tim

Also, sorry if my initial response seemed to err too much towards avoiding negativity. That obviously isn't my intent. But, the recent conversations honestly got to something I was already feeling.

I hate the idea of this thread having more trash stories (which we all know exists out there) than good recommendations. Not that I want to ignore all trash stories or take away from this being a safe place to vent about trash, but I don't personally like that outweighing how much we shine a light on media that deserves more attention. (I certainly know that I myself am guilty of that more than I'd like.)

On a related note (and this is another thing I've been quite guilty of), I don't want this to turn into the Entertainment Forum version of when I used to lurk a politics thread and see just a series of random links and tweets. I guess that's somewhat unavoidable in a thread like this, and not everything has a lot to be said about it besides some variation of "that's awesome" or "that suck" which is fine. I dunno.

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

We can do like a movie club, Black Panther and Wrinkle In Time would be a good start!

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. Tim

I don't know that I'd want a movie club to revolve around something like Black Panther, which I bet even the average racist will see if said racist is also a Marvel fan, lol.

But, something like a movie club centered around bringing attention to films both new and old by marginalized voices that people might not already know would be pretty fun.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. lightning

13. You weren't here when I was talking about making this?

14. Tim

I don't remember why I missed the actual thread you made in response to our conversation. Sorry about that. Seeing as your thoughts were similar to what @storm had to say recently, though, and considering how we want to improve this thread...

...I'd personally say that my answer to this is yes. Or if not, we should at least unsticky this thread and sticky yours. If we can't make what you're doing there (which is really cool, btw; sorry I dropped the ball in engaging it sooner) fit this thread, then this thread isn't what I want it to be.

15. lightning

Yeah and I still don't see the difference between that and this one haha I feel like most people would be confused and that that thread will get quickly lost, esp cause this one is stickied xP

16. Tim

CarpetElf likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

18. I'm gonna delete the other thread, so in case you missed it:

Someone else want to do this week? (So that I don't post a third Asian actress in a row)

This looks so interesting.

19. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Kelly Marie Tran was fantastic in Comedy Bang Bang

20. The Fits is very good and is (or at least was at some point) on the Amazon streaming service in case you have Prime.

mad likes this.
  21. Tim

TMS' Favorite Female-Created Comics of 2017 | The Mary Sue

I still gotta check out Supergirl: Being Super. Been trade-waiting it, though apparently the trade comes out next summer? But yeah, Mariko Tamaki and Joelle Jones are both awesome. Tamaki has also done some work on She-Hulk this year that started as a great look at trauma (I think it's gotten more superhero-y lately, but I'm not caught up).

Also gotta check out Clueless (which I was pumped about when it was announced but somehow never checked out) and Jane. Both of those seem cool and relevant to my tastes.

I wish Hawkeye had made this list. It's possibly my favorite current ongoing series (though the white male-helmed Spectacular Spider-Man is right on that same level for me). Kelly Thompson is fantastic. I can't wait for whatever ongoing she gets on next when Hawkeye wraps up next year.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. Tim

Jaime Hernandez is my favorite indie comic creator. Love his work in Love & Rockets. His work is often pretty, um, mature, lol, so it'll be interesting to see him do a young readers story.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen