Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Representation in Art/Entertainment/Media • Page 43

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

uuuuuggggghhhh

5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I'm hoping this just reaches development hell. There's not a chance that it will be filmed in Japan or with Japanese actors/actresses. We'll just get boring LA/NY landscapes like most Hollywood films and the characters will be two ordinary suburban teenagers.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

fuck JJ anywhere near that project except in finding a way for a better, preferably Japanese or Japanese American filmmaker to helm it.

7. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

So much of the film deals with Japanese mythology and the culture of Japan. By the time that stuff is removed it will be a totally different story that shouldn’t be connected to the original film. Even with a Japanese director this is a bad film to try to convert due to the core themes of the story.

8. Jason Tate Sep 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 28, 2017)
    Why do you think that? The quotes make it seem like everyone knows not to be dumb about it:
    “We are excited to collaborate with an extremely talented team in Hollywood and to create with them a live-action version of the iconic Japanese film Your Name,” Toho CEO Yoshishige Shimatani said.

“Just like in the film it feels like a dream,” Kawamura said. “Mr. Abrams and his team have captivated audiences in their masterful reinvention of known properties.

“And Mitsuha and Taki have found a perfect narrator, Mr. Heisserer, to tell their sci-fi infused love story, which gave the film such drive. The meetings so far have been creatively stimulating with fantastic ideas that no doubt will make for a great movie. I am greatly honoured to work with these incredible creators in bringing to audiences the Hollywood live action version of Your Name.”

Shinkai added, “Your Name is a film created with the innate imaginations of a Japanese team and put together in a domestic medium. When such a work is imbued with Hollywood filmmaking, we may see new possibilities that we had been completely unaware of — I am looking forward to the live-action film with excited anticipation.”

And Kawamura is signed on to produce it as well. I'd expect after GITS all involved are not that stupid to walk into that controversy again.

J.J. Abrams and Paramount Developing Live-Action Your Name. Dare I Be Hopeful?

9. Dog with a Blog

It’s really too early to say anything either way, though with America’s track record I 100% understand being weary. Is JJ set to direct this or just produce it? Cause if it’s the former, production probably won’t even start until 2020, I’d imagine.

10. transrebel59

Regular

Honest question because I've never really been in this thread: Why would it be less offensive for JJ to go to Japan and try to create a movie about/for a culture that he is not a part of? I'm from Nigeria and would be pretty offended if an American filmmaker went to Nigeria, hired a Nigerian cast and remade Osouifa In London. I'd be less offended if they just adapted it in America. But Nigerian films aren't often adapted so I may be confused on this.

11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

the producer of the original seems pretty stoked that JJ is making this. I dont understand the gripe? (yet)

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I have not seen any criticism from Asian twitter on this. Not a lot of details.

Though I understand the reaction on here given the history of crappy live action adaptions to expect the worst.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. justin. Sep 28, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 28, 2017)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

@Jason Tate
    I have just grown cynical when it comes to Hollywood making live-action anime due to the track record and that it has never seemed to be a concern from studios to keep the film true in tone and location, but to just try to make some money off of the fans. While the statement offers some comfort, there have been previous statements in which the creator of an anime was optimistic about the vision of a re-make although the re-make lacked most of what made the anime great (the recent Death Note film is an example).

The one thing that gives me the most hope is that Abrams is producing the film with Bad Robot. The fact that a big name like Abrams is producing this could push Paramount to keep the true identity of the film and he could boost the production costs which would allow for shooting in Japan. A lot of that could depend on if Abrams wanted to produce it for the cash or because he genuinely liked Your Name. Unlike a lot of anime series, Makoto Shinkai’s unique animations and music of choice help build his movies and are part of the experience. Until more is told about the cinematography and music for the film, i’ll be worried about that.

@transrebel59
    Japanese people are stoked to have any Japanese anime be re-made in America regardless if the film is set in Japan or in America, at least the ones I speak to and from the majority of comments I see online. I was actually talking to a few of my friends from Japan about this last night to see what they thought and they were thrilled and thought I was being negative. One brought up his belief that he doesn’t think Hollywood could ever replicate the culture of Japan in film, so he doesn’t see the failure of doing so as a disappoint, but finds it more entertaining. And as for JJ, Star Wars is a phenomenon in Japan and the people I spoke to were excited that someone of that status was wanting to explore a film that originated in Japan.

storm likes this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad likes this.
  15. IMDb keeps featuring Asian women on the front page on their birthdays: first Tilda Swinton yesterday, now Emma Stone today. It feels good to finally have some recognition.

16. After seeing this post in Movie - Last Movie You Saw, Name & Review I'm thinking of making a "Women/POC/LGBTQ+ in Entertainment Thread" for discussion of writers/directors/actors and their work, sort of more geared towards throwing around recs than about sharing news articles about casting choices. Good idea, or too similar to this thread?

iCarly Rae Jepsen, CarpetElf and LWS like this.
  17. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I think I envisioned that kind of discussion being included in this thread, though if you think a new thread would bring more attention to that, I'm cool with it.

Honestly, since I'm a white dude, I'd be perfectly fine and even happy about you making a replacement thread to get pinned and be the new hub for inclusion both in front of and behind the camera. This thread being replaced by one by a member of a marginalized demographic would certainly fit the thread's philosophy, lol.

18. Tim

(Really, me even saying "I'm cool with it" is goofy, as if my opinion should be what matters most, lol.)

19. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

21. Tim

^ I was worried how that article would go, lol. I've heard this is doing great in Mexico, too. Excited to check it out.

22. OH MY GOD THEY DID IT AGAIN WITH SCARJO IMDB STAHP

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen