Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Liner Notes (March 11th, 2023)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Mar 11, 2023.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s newsletter has thoughts on music out this week, first impressions of the new album from Hot Mulligan, and some other music finds from the week. Plus, a playlist of ten songs I enjoyed and this week’s supporter Q&A post can be found here.

If you’d like this newsletter delivered to your inbox each week (it’s free and available to everyone), you can sign up here.

A Few Things

• I am now one week out from 40. Hm. I don’t know how I feel about this. It’s starting to creep up in the weirdest way, and all the mid-life crisis cliches are bouncing around in my head. Getting older, reflecting on youth, thinking about choices made, decisions, and paths untraveled. I’ll have some family commitments next weekend, so I’m unsure if I’ll have time to sit down and write this newsletter. Good chance this is the last one I write before I pass this strange milestone. One thing I’ve been thinking about lately is that this is one of the first birthdays I can fully remember my parents having — I remember my mom and dad turning forty.
    • I don’t know who needs to hear this, but Underoath and Spiritbox do not need to take a tour with a known massive giant piece of human garbage. Tours are not forced on bands. It’s a choice. And in my opinion, as someone that’s been physically threatened by the headliner multiple times, it’s a huge mistake. And I think differently about both bands because of this choice—free advice: Drop off, apologize, and do literally anything else. No amount of money is worth the reputation hit or having this stench stuck to you going forward.
    • When I moved downtown over eleven years ago now, I decided to get rid of most of my CD collection. I had too many CDs to even know what to do with them, and they were sitting in multiple giant plastic bins, taking up space. I didn’t have a way to play them, and I never liked the look of trying to display the plastic cases. One of the funny insights I had this week while buying more vinyl records (lol) was that I was basically recreating my CD collection with vinyl. Purchasing records (sometimes for ridiculous prices) that I wanted to own, specifically, to display and have as part of my “collection.” In my defense, I do like how records look on shelves far more than I do CD cases, but it is kind of funny.
    • The Thrice podcast about The Artist in the Ambulance has been excellent so far. Both episodes contained details I had never heard before, and listening to the band talk about this album and the revisited version has been awesome.

In Case You Missed It

Music Thoughts

• Let’s start with the music released this week. Death Cab for Cutie released an acoustic version of their latest album, Asphalt Meadows, and I think the new renditions do the songs justice. It’s no secret to anyone reading this newsletter that Asphalt was the most I’d liked a Death Cab album in quite a while, and so I’m already primed for these songs to shine, and hearing them in this stripped-down setting gives them a lovely lazy Saturday morning feel to them.
    • The new Manchester Orchestra EP is an undeniably gorgeous collection of songs. At only six songs and 25 minutes, I am unsure how often I’ll return to it, but it’s a lush and fulfilling listen. After two albums and an EP that all play in a similar sonic space, I’m itching for the band to mix it up a little more. There’s an energy that they play with live that I don’t think they’ve entirely captured on a record in a while. And, if rumors are true (they’re true), there’s a Jimmy Eat World and Manchester Orchestra tour in our future, so maybe that’ll spark a fire for the next full-length.
    • Two listens of the new Miley Cyrus album have me thinking that while I like it, it didn’t grab me as her previous one did. Her last was addictive and had me coming back for basically an entire summer. I’m not sure this will have the same power.
    • Hot Mulligan’s new album comes out in May, and they dropped a new single this week. The entire album is, in my opinion, the band taking a giant leap forward and putting together just about as good of a pop-punk album as one can in 2023. This thing is going to be on constant rotation throughout the next few months. It’s energetic and fun.
    • Lost Stars showed up on my Apple Music playlist last week, and it wasn’t long before it was obvious this is precisely my shit. Starting with “Hoodie,” a single that feels like it could be pulled from the Relient K playbook, to “The Blacklist” and its perfect mix of Nashville meets the 80s, these guys are playing in the exact musical space my brain loves.
    • I’m always looking for a specific kind of band that works well in the gym. It’s easy to go the hardcore route, but I also like something a little more melodic yet still full of loud energy. Stuff like Dayseeker or Caskets does well for me. And the latest Caskets single (“By the Sound”) has me hoping we get another album from them sooner rather than later.
    • This week also saw new releases from Meet Me @ the Altar and Story of the Year, both of which are worth checking out.
    • I’m still obsessed with the upcoming Dave Hause album.

The Stats: Over the past week, I listened to 68 different artists, 95 different albums, and 565 different tracks (697 scrobbles). My most listened-to artist was Lost Stars and my most played album was Hot Mulligan’s upcoming release, Why Would I Watch. Here is my Top 9 from last week, and you can follow me on Apple Music and/or Last.fm.

Entertainment Thoughts

• Missing’s gimmick didn’t work as well for me as it did with Searching. The movie felt more like a decent Netflix mini-series, but as a film, I was kind of bored.
    • Our new weekly show is to join the rest of the world and watch The Last of Us. We’re not big “week-to-week” watchers since we like to have one episode of a show to watch each night and, over a week or two, finish a season of something. So, with this being almost done, we felt we could start it now and not be that far behind after the season finale airs. It’s been good so far. Episode three was a highlight. I’m looking forward to watching the rest.

Random and Personal Stuff

• Does anyone else have a hard time returning food if it’s not a massive mistake at a restaurant? A local pub near me has two chicken sandwiches on their menu. One is a fried chicken sandwich with honey mustard and pickles, and it is one of my favorite sandwiches. The other is a grilled chicken with bacon, cheese, and avocado. Also a good sandwich. Earlier this week we went out to dinner, and I ordered the fried chicken version. The grilled chicken one arrived. And I realized … I really hate returning food. I feel bad saying anything, feel bad wasting a perfectly good sandwich that I do like and have no problem eating, even if I was craving something else. I have friends (and family) that think I’m weird about this and if I’m paying for something should just be nice and kind about mentioning it’s not what I ordered. But I’m apparently very bad at this. Anyway, my bacon avocado sandwich was tasty. Still kinda craving that fried chicken one though.

Ten Songs

Here are ten songs that I listened to and loved this week. Some may be new, some may be old, but they all found their way into my life during the past seven days.

1. Lost Stars – Hoodie
    2. Caskets – Lost in Echos
    3. Hot Mulligan – Shhhh! Golf is On
    4. Death Cab for Cutie – Rand McNally (Acoustic)
    5. Manchester Orchestra – Letting Go
    6. Miley Cyrus – Handstand
    7. Meet Me @ the Altar – A Few Tomorrows
    8. Taylor Acorn – Certified Depressant
    9. Story of the Year – Afterglow
    10. The Menzingers – Bad Actors

This playlist is available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Community Watch

The trending and popular threads in our community this week include:

The most liked post in our forums last week was this one by Serh in the “I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson (Netflix)” thread.

Previous editions of Liner Notes can be found here.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. tyler_pifer

I may be the most naive person in the world, I’ve never heard and can’t find a bad thing about Stray From The Path.

3. WasteSomeTime

Regular

Their reputation wont be hit at all except by you and a few other Reddit people, they most likely will get bigger and more well known (particularly Spiritbox). Fact is FIR is massive and most regular people don’t care or read into all past drama of the music they listen to. They simply find songs they like, listen, and go to the tour. Not to mention I don’t think a single band has been negatively impacted ever from touring with Ronnie. Just the occasional person such as yourself who just can’t stand Ronnie and still cry about it as they approach 40. I actually believe many people have no issues with him. Hawthorne Heights comes across as a band who chose to try to always do the right thing and they just did a tour with him a few years back

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

@Jason Tate you aren't the only one who never sends stuff back. I'm notorious for customizing everything because I don't like certain things and even when it comes out with said things I asked to be removed I'll still eat it and just pick around it.

For me it's not worth complaining about to someone that most likely already gets paid too little

stoph224 and Jason Tate like this.
  5. This is so embarrassing that you typed this on the internet, to me :crylaugh:

6. Former Planets

Aaaachem!

I wouldn’t accept anything less or different than what I paid for with any other good or service, I don’t see how food should be different.

7. Colby Searcy Mar 11, 2023
    (Last edited: Mar 11, 2023)
    Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

I understand what you're saying but still feel like food service is more nuanced and personally don't want to be that person that makes the server/waitperson job more difficult

Jason Tate and xapplexpiex like this.
  8. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Unless what I order comes out as something completely different that I truly won't eat (like when my spaghetti and meatballs got turned into squid ink pasta with clams) or is literally inedible, I also don't complain or send it back.

Colby Searcy and Jason Tate like this.
  9. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

The part about getting rid of all of your CDs over a decade ago only to end up replacing them all with vinyl records hits so close to home :crylaugh:

10. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Was disappointed to see UO on that tour. Bummer.

11. 333 GANG

ACAB

Imagine waking up and deciding to go to bat online for ronnie radke

12. Iain

Regular

Haha the returning food thing hit home. I think its alot easier if you can spot it as they put it down on the table and do it right there.

Paul Gurski and Jason Tate like this.
  13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I've literally known that Ronnie was a piece of shit for over a decade. He's famous for it. There will be plenty of people disappointed that underoath would do this

333 GANG likes this.
  14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

man, i was gonna post something about how cool it is for me that i finally got me the most liked post of the week (and that i should maybe change the ol' username) but this took a a sickening turn real fast. wastesometime ought to be ashamed. ronnie doesn't care about you defending him online, my guy

15. Jason Tate Mar 12, 2023
    (Last edited: Mar 13, 2023)
    I’m proud of you.

Drew Beringer likes this.

16. There's one.