Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Liner Notes (January 16th, 2021)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

This week’s newsletter has some thoughts on The Starting Line’s streaming performances and the usual commentary on music, movies, and TV shows I’ve been enjoying recently. There’s also a playlist of ten songs I liked this week, and this week’s supporter Q&A post can be found here.

If you’d like this newsletter delivered to your inbox each week (it’s free and available to everyone), you can sign up here.

Two Things

• Last weekend, I found myself with some extra time on Sunday, and I didn’t feel like watching TV or reading, so I decided to spend an hour watching The Starting Line’s Direction recorded “live” performance. I came away with a few thoughts. First, the band sounded incredible. Kenny’s vocals were great, the band sounded tight and clean, and it was a really high-quality production. I would highly recommend it to any fan of the band. And damn if Direction doesn’t hold up an immensely great collection of songs. I was impressed top to bottom with the entire thing and am looking forward to buying and watching the Based on a True Story performance as well. The whole thing brought forward such a great warmth of nostalgia around this band, and even pop-punk in general. It kicked off a week of listening to the band’s discography and thinking back to that era of the music scene and feeling young, carefree, and just wanting to go to shows with my friends and listen to music. So, yeah, good band is good. Check these out if you’re a fan.
    • I had a whole bunch of people send me the latest “Felt Emo Again Might Delete” video, and it sent me on a deep dive last night of watching all the other ones on his channel. They’re all pretty damn funny. Hearing some of the lyrics of these songs pulled out in this way kinda cracks me up. Also kind of feeling like this upcoming week may be a Yellowcard discography week.

Sponsor

American Thrills are a punk rock band from Connecticut featuring members of The Tired and True (Eulogy Records) and Shut up and Deal. Founded in early 2020, during a pandemic the band came together to write their debut self-titled EP. The EP was engineered by Nick Bellmore (Make Do and Mend, Hatebreed) and mixed and mastered by John Naclerio (Brand New, Bayside). The band’s unique blend of upbeat punk rock with hooks for days, and a sprinkle of Midwest emo, caught the attention of New School Records (No Trigger, Twenty2), and the new EP is out now.

Also, the band have now released the album on vinyl.

In Case You Missed It

Music Thoughts

• I ended up on a Taylor Swift discography dive earlier this week, and that led me to revisit the wonderful 1989. That album is too good and may just be my favorite from her.
    • Fickle Friends released a new EP, which collects a bunch of their new singles with a couple of new songs. I’m really into “IRL.”
    • Of the two new AFI songs, I think I like “Escape from LA” better, but neither quite grab me as I was hoping. The last EP and the previous full-length didn’t have much replay value for me.
    • The new Five Iron Frenzy album is a pleasant surprise ska release. Between this, Less Than Jake, and Goldfinger, that genre’s had a nice last couple of months.
    • Big fan of the new Beach Bunny EP.
    • I spun the new Why Don’t We album once and enjoyed a couple tracks. Very boyband, but some good choruses. Not sure it’s something I’ll come back to much.
    • This Kali Masi band look to be one to keep an eye on; this new single has a real nice throwback sound that reminds me of the 2000’s era in the music scene.
    • The new track from Middle Kids is an excellent step forward for the band, I’m very interested in seeing what they do next.

Entertainment Thoughts

• Sometimes, a movie like Summerland is just what you need. Something a little cliche but completely heartwarming. It’s just a feel-good film that leaves you feeling full and comforted. Much needed.
    • Promising Young Woman turns so many cliches on their head with a masterful lead performance. The ending left me with a pit in my stomach. It’s good, but know going in that it’s the kind of thing that will stay with you for a while.
    • The Kid Detective is the kind of movie where I read the synopsis and know right away it’s going to be in my wheelhouse. And yep, it was. It kind of reminded me of something like Brick, which is a genre I’ve always wanted more of. It was nice to see Adam Brody in something again.
    • We’ve been watching Apple TV+’s Tehran, and we have, I think, two episodes left. It’s been pretty good, but not something I consider “wow” worthy.
    • I am thrilled to have Below Deck back in my life. We are trying to time it so that we can watch the episodes and get caught up right around when the season is going to be finishing. The new cast is great so far, and I’m always here for some Captain Lee zingers, bring on the boat drama.⛵️

Random and Personal Stuff

• Not much in this section this week. I’ve been reading some Spider-Man comic books when I have a few down moments, and I’ve been playing a lot of Mario Kart.

Ten Songs

Here are ten songs that I listened to and loved this week. Some may be new, some may be old, but they all found their way into my life during the past seven days.

1. The Starting Line – Something Left to Give
    2. Yellowcard – Got Yours
    3. Kali Masi – Trophy Deer
    4. Five Iron Frenzy – In Through The Out Door
    5. Taylor Swift – How You Get the Girl
    6. Why Don’t We – Fallin’
    7. Fickle Friends – IR:
    8. AFI – Escape from Los Angeles
    9. Beach Bunny – Love Sick
    10. Ava Max – Salt

This playlist is available on Spotify and Apple Music.

Community Watch

The trending and popular threads in our community this week include:

The most liked post in our forums last week was this one by Philll in the “General Politics Discussion VIII” thread.

Previous editions of Liner Notes can be found here.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.