Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

LGBTQIA+ Thread • Page 18

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nick, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Next up for me.

Hayley P likes this.
  2. akkeri

My boyfriend and I finally got around to watching Nanette the other night. We're Australian, so it hit particularly close to home, although I think it will resonate with Americans, too. Very worth watching - deserving of the hype.

Hayley P and figureitout like this.
  3. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I just watched that tonight as well - I completely agree about it deserving the hype

Hayley P likes this.
  4. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I wish I had more gay friends. the few I had through work have all moved away, and I'm pretty fucking shy/badddd at making friends
    our pride week is coming up and I always want to go to the events to maybe meet people but always chicken out
    maybe this will be the year I finally do it

Contender likes this.
  5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

if it won't risk yr safety, you should absolutely go for it

summertimejesus and mad like this.
  6. Hayley P

@hayleyapan

Watching Queer Eye and feeling emotional

7. akkeri

mad likes this.
  8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

[​IMG]

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I guess this goes here, mini documentary about how gay men gravitate towards having female icons
    I like the theory that it's about being femme, I'm mainly hetero but femme so that would explain why I am obsessed with Mariah Carey etc

mad likes this.
  10. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

Did not expect it but fuck if I did not want the masculinity I was born with

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. Seen a friend share an empowering post about trans people on facebook, and the comments were predictably awful. Not to go into details, because I know that facebook is bad yada yada, but it always stuns me when people get anxious over concepts they obviously know nothing about.

Like, you can discuss their ignorant (that veers on transphobic) arguments in a polite and informative way over and over again, yet they'll still find a way to not get the point, continue to be offensive, then they'll blame you for getting defensive. Stuff like this depresses me and makes me think we still have a long way to go before transgender issues become widely accepted.

Sorry for the vague rant, I just didn't know where to put these words out. This thread seemed like a good place I guess.

12. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I want to pose a question to the thread: is the word “queer” a slur? I got into a bit of a heated exchange on Twitter today about it. I’ve identified with the term for about a year. I believe it to be an umbrella term that encompasses any LGBT identity. That’s how it’s always been taught to me. I like the fluidity it gives me. I like that it doesn’t pin me down. The other person in the exchange was arguing that because, historically, it has been used as a slur, it shouldn’t be used today. I’m just curious what others think, and want to get some input.

13. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

it can be used as a slur, but i'm all for reclaiming it. i predominately regard myself as queer because i like the freedom it prescribes. not everyone, particularly lgbtq folks from an older generation, feels comfortable or capable of reclaiming it, which is also fine and should be noted with regards to what language is used towards them, but i think we should be free to reclaim slurs for our personal identification without policing.

to this point, i feel the same way about the word "***," although I personally don't think i'll ever like how it sounds in my mouth. for self-identification purposes, queer folks should feel free to call themselves it.

14. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah this is where I think I’m landing on the issue

15. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I would have to say they’re just straight-up wrong and trying to police your/others identity/ies. If someone asks not to personally be labeled as or called queer then that should obv be respected but that’s clearly not what’s happening there.

And you would be right about that.

16. mad

I was right. Prestigious

17. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

How did most of you make LGBTQ+ friends? My two friends I have right now are a bi woman and a gay woman but that's just pure coincidence. I am also the lease confident person ever

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I'm so tired of straight males, is that bad?

19. mad

I was right. Prestigious

no I think a lot of us are tired of them

20. I don't and I am the loneliest I've ever been. Once I get a job, save up enough money to move out from my parents and go back to college, I hope it'll be easier.

21. Most of my friends are LGBTQ and I honestly have no idea how it happened

22. mad

I was right. Prestigious

The few lgbtq+ friends I had were through work, they’ve all moved to other cities so I’m in desperate need of some new ones

23. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Most LGBTQ+ friends I’ve made are people I’ve met at shows & the folks they’ve introduced me to.

24. summertimejesus

Birds and Guitar

I went to a very gay college/have lived in queer-friendly areas for a while (SF Bay Area and now NYC). Perhaps find a Meetup group or a "gay" activity like contra-dancing to get into and meet people?

Essie and Petit nain des Îles like this.
  25. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

have you tried this