Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

I Quit Twitter and It Feels Great • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Feb 5, 2018.

1. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I was on twitter from age 13 until a few months ago, for a total of about nine years. I quit mostly because I didn’t want to be a part of a platform that tolerates and even encourages nazis. I’m not delusional enough to think my account deletion made a difference, but I didn’t feel I was gaining anything by getting angry with every dumb thing that goes viral on that site. I also don’t think that curating your following list helps much. I tried that for a few years before I quit and it didn’t help. As far as keeping up with the news, Twitter may be fast, but it sure as shit isn’t quality. I don’t often find myself falling prey to fake news, but Twitter is a hotbed for it. I have alerts on from NYT and the washington post so if anything major happens, I’ll hear about it immediately. Anything else can wait until I take the time to visit an actual news source and not a social media site. For music news, I typically find everything that would interest me here or in the forums as well as through artist announcements on Instagram.

All that is to say I no longer have any use for Twitter and the irresponsibility with which it’s run has me convinced I made the right decision leaving. Quite frankly I’d be happy to see it go the way of MySpace. I honestly think it does the world more harm than good, if nuclear war threats in 280 characters are any indication.

2. lightning

wait if you're not exaggerating - 20 accounts? what for?

3. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Everyone should just follow the funny accounts then participate in the funniest thread on this website:

Absurdist Twitter

thenewmatthewperry likes this.
  4. fbrrocks

Trusted

one is main one for ya books and authors and rest and different fan accounts for artists and one for dc tv shows marvel dc star wars ect one is for cartoons and anime

5. lightning

You could follow them all on one account - or use lists to separate them haha

6. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Admittedly, I had only read the blurb that you had quoted in the post. That's something I criticize others for, and I was absolutely a hypocrite in this instance.

That being said, I've now read this piece twice (got to make up for not reading it the first time), and I still don't agree with his approach. I understand that he's pointing out the general issues with the platform; but he hasn't made the platform better by quitting it. If anything, he sounds like an insightful person who was contributing positively, so the platform is worse having him leave it. He's railing on something that he had an opportunity to potentially improve with a relatively high-impact account, and he instead squandered that opportunity. I'm happy to hear that his life is better as a result, but I don't think that was the right way of handling it. If all the good people left Twitter, it would be left with nothing but bots and assholes. That doesn't make the platform better (unless he thinks that everyone good leaving will kill the platform, and that's the solution).

I will say that I also have no understanding of some of the issues he was facing, as I only have 115 followers (probably half of which are bots). Aside from replies to people that I follow, my tweets are probably only read by a dozen people at most. So I don't know what it's like to be harassed at all. And I realize that telling him to tweet less isn't the answer. That's victim blaming, and it directly contradicts what I said earlier about him being a positive influence. And perhaps that's why this article jives more with you than it does with me, as you're a public person with mass followers that deals with people unfairly shitting on you on a regular basis.

7. The author is a woman.

skogsraet likes this.
  8. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

what the fuck

edit: nvm i read your following posts

9. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Well fuck. That changes things quite a bit. Let's pretend I just clicked <edit><undo> on this whole thing, shall we?

Jason Tate likes this.