Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot Jan 11, 2016
    (Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017)
    Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

In July 2014, co-screenwriter Nicole Perlman confirmed a sequel, saying it was "going to happen" due to the positive response, and confirmed that Gunn would write and direct.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) - IMDb

Did you see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2? Did it leave you craving more? If so, these five comic book recommendations are just what you need! These stories were picked out by some in the Chorus comic book thread to help those who loved this film and want to dig into the cosmic world that the film was built from!

If you're interested in more recommendations, or if you just want a place to talk about your favorite comics, come check out the comic book thread! The thread will be making these posts for future comic book films, too, and you're invited to join us!

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Avengers
    Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
    Artists: Steve McNiven, Sara Pichelli
    Buy from InStockTrades or Amazon.

This is a pretty accessible starting point to just jump in and get something similar in tone to the movies. The general premise is that Earth has been declared off-limits by a galactic council which inevitably leads to it being attacked by aliens, with the GOTG being the only ones there to defend it. Plus, Iron Man, who's just hanging out with them at the time. It also deals with Star-Lord's relationship with his father, which is also part of the movie (albeit with a different character as the father), so there's a joint theme there, too. @SpyKi

Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning
    Writers: Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning
    Artists: Paul Pelletier, Brad Walker, Wes Craig
    Buy from Amazon.

"We've only just been put together, Pete. The glue isn't set. Push too hard and you'll bust this team apart faster than you formed it" - Rocket Racoon. The Guardians of the Galaxy formed during one of the most devastating cosmic battles in the known universe, a literal wave of Annihilation destroyed worlds and billions of lives. From the ashes of this battle comes the Guardians of the Galaxy, consisting of every character we love from the movie plus a few more we can probably expect to see in future films. There are a lot of moving pieces in this series, and although it is surrounded by heavy continuity, I had no problem jumping in and would recommend this as a starting point for others. The story is at its best when dealing with the consequences of a rogue decision made by Peter Quill, a secret brought to light that could destroy everything they've worked to build. @Vivatoto

Astonishing Thor
    Writer: Rob Rodi
    Artist: Mike Choi

In Astonishing Thor, a five-issue limited-series, Thor encounters a cast of characters not often seen in Marvel: Ego the Living Planet, The Stranger, The Collector, and Zaphyr. Thor notices Ego is on a path of destruction through space, which leads to natural disasters on Earth. He seeks The Collector for help, but discovers he's involved in a scheme with Thor's old friend Zephyr. Ego gets an updated origin story and ends up battling his evil twin brother, Super Ego (no, I'm not kidding). Mike Choi's art is gorgeous, and the pages with no words, just action, look awesome. Whether you're a big Thor fan, or aren't but love cosmic Marvel stories, you'll enjoy this. @xapplexpiex

Silver Surfer: Freedom

Writers: Steve Englehart, John Byrne, Stan Lee, Mark Gruenwald
    Artists: Marshall Rogers, John Byrne, Jack Kirby, Joe Staton, John Buscema

These 80s stories are a great trip through the classic Marvel cosmic tapestry that Infinity Gauntlet, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and more would eventually come out of. Silver Surfer's adventures here involve the likes of Mantis, the Celestials, and the Elders of the universe (like The Collector and The Grandmaster), not to mention Galactus, Mephisto, Death, and Eternity. Much of it gets wordy, but this is complimented by some delightful comic illustration, particularly at the hands of penciler/colorist Marshall Rogers. If you've enjoyed the GOTG films and are excited for Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War, this is a great place to begin digging deeper into that cosmic mythos. @Tim

Rocket Raccoon: A Chasing Tale
    Writer: Skottie Young
    Artists: Skottie Young, Jake Parker

The first volume of Skottie Young's Rocket Raccoon takes the character and pulls him in different directions. He's trigger happy, as usual, and also has some more touching moments. He finds out he may not be the last of his kind, only to be disappointed in the end. In addition to the story being great, the art and coloring are fantastic. You can't see a huge difference when the issue switch to Jake Parker's art instead of Young's. Jean-Francois Beaulieu brings some bright colors to give it even more personality and make the comic pop. This is a fun comic to read, and it's a great Rocket Raccoon story. Plus, you get a lot of Groot, too, and who doesn't want that? @Deanna

If you wanna dabble in buying new issues as they come out, you could also consider checking out All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, the brand new twice-monthly ongoing series by Gerry Duggan and Aaron Kuder! Or, you could pick up Guardians of the Galaxy: Mother Entropy, a 5-issue miniseries by Jim Starlin and Alan Davis! Both series just released their first issues, and they're both perfect jumping-on places for new (or lapsed) comic book readers. And, again, if you have any questions on how to get into comics, check out the comic book thread!

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Looks like Kurt Russell is confirmed for this one.

3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Perfect

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Snake Plissken in GOTG.... so cool :teethsmile:

7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This movie is going to print stacks and stacks of money

coleslawed likes this.
  8. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Why do we have to wait for another year? I hate waiting, haha!

Raku likes this.
  9. Raku

Regular

I know! As interested as I am for Doctor Strange, I'm bummed we're getting that this coming November, and not GotG v2.

I really want to see this sequel asap :scream: (The cartoon on Disney is helping hold me over a bit though)

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Doctor Strange is probably the least exciting looking MCU movie to me

Night Channels likes this.
  11. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I'm looking forward to Doctor Strange. I think I'm most looking forward to Black Panther but GOTG2 is a close second.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

best news

14. tucah

not champ Prestigious

neat

coleslawed likes this.
  15. KimmyGibbler

Everywhere you look... Prestigious

I think Doctor Strange is the MCU film I am looking forward to the least at this point. That first trailer didn't really do a lot for me.

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Dean

Trusted Prestigious

Peter Quill's father is Captain Ron.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I hope Nebula is a good guy now. :heart: her.

19. iCarly Rae Jepsen

20. morgantayler

Human Typo Prestigious

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

logo

ChaseTx likes this.
  22. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Elizabeth Debicki as Ayesha confirmed.

23. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Kurt Russell is...Ego the Living Planet

24. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

That Russell note seems kind of confusing.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

lol