Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

General Politics Discussion (V) [ARCHIVED]

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.
  1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. Round 5.

3. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I get that cheating sucks, but if you look at the films and culture about romance, they’re mostly about cheating and we ignore that because love is more moral than anything else. You’ve Got Mail is all about a woman that is engaged that falls for someone else, has an emotional affair and starts a relationship with them. The lesson, it seems to me, is that love is the ultimate justification. But, in reality, there’s a gap between what any one person can offer and the expectation that they can offer everything. Seems much more beneficial to demolish that.

4. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Ugh, made a typo on that last page. Can't edit it or delete it now.

5. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

BirdPerson, Wharf Rat and Dominick like this.
  6. Feeling a tad better about even the very bad relationships I've been in today.

7. I thought it was about AOL and the friends we made along the way.

(When you watch that movie now: Tom Hanks character comes across very creepy and manipulative.)

8. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

You’re the only one that cares about it! I’m making the Marxist case against monogamy!

9. [​IMG]

That guy fucks.

Richter915, BirdPerson, dylan and 5 others like this.
  10. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

The best Tom Hanks/Meg Ryan films is obviously Joe versus The Volcano. But, I digress. All these romantic comedies are about cheating, creepy people. In Sleepless in Seattle, Meg Ryan is engaged and she still seeks out another man, who is clearly only looking for love because he hasn’t gotten over his wife’s death.

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

to the tune of What A Catch Donnie

what a start to this thread

12. He also didn’t know what a symphony was. But I was mildly addicted to the sex, and I also liked our story: high schoolers reunited in the big city. I told myself: Some girls marry dopey guys — and it’s endearing in a “hot jock” or “Joey from Friends” kind of way.

I can't stop thinking about this.

Zoshchenko and scottlechowicz like this.
  13. And I can't stop watching those either!

:chin:

Shit this is all too revealing about me as a person why did I spend my day doing this.

14. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

Sure love trumps all but it doesn't negate you being an asshole for not establishing your expectations and then severely hurting someone in the process. Some of my friends got into open relationships because they were head over heels for the other party and didn't want to lose what they had. Idk, i think this gets into power/manipulative roles and what not but I personally just think it's safe to establish your expectations. (i've also never seen You've Got Mail, although i should)

15. St. Nate

Dom, for the last time I don’t wanna be a fly on your sexual web of perversion.

16. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

I can't believe you definitely just googled "hot Marx"

17. Arry

actually, i dont think i've ever seen a tom/meg ryan movie

18. Had a friend do that too. It ended very, very badly.

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Ever heard of Woody Allen? Every one of his movies glorifies infidelity.

Wharf Rat likes this.
  20. I actually googled "marx sexy" thank you very much...

[​IMG]

21. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Re: poly, I've only known one person in real life with any kind of sustained polyamorous relationship and you wouldn't know unless you were a close enough friend that you'd have occasion to meet both people. Anyone who loudly proclaims their poly or god forbid evangelizes it is probably an insufferable person in my experience

22. St. Nate

Dom probably knows of their polyamorous relationship first hand

Wharf Rat likes this.
  23. Dinner with my dad and Hannah tonight is going to be weird when they ask what I did today.

:-|

24. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I don’t think love trumps all, to be honest. I’m just saying the cultural messages we receive say and they make no moral judgement on these people. I agree with your assessment. The problem, however, is we’re inculcated with these ideas of relationships, love, and so on, which create terrible consequences.

Arry likes this.
  25. Arry

yah i just realized i misread your comment. just establish your expectations yall and then you can be fluid as hale!

Thread Status:
This thread is locked and not open for further replies.