Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight (February 5, 2021) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Aaron Mook, Nov 8, 2020.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Some of the songs I’m really into wouldn’t really make sense as singles, like the title track which I think is great. But Making A Fire and Cloudspotter? Those to me are *obvious* single choices... honestly Love Dies Young too. All of those songs do a great job incorporating new elements into their sound while still having great energy and hooks.

Gianni28 likes this.
  2. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

Now that the site that everyone knows is taken down, where is everyone getting the drip? Maybe someone DM's me....

3. Gianni

Trusted

Glad to hear this - I'll wait a few weeks until this comes out to hear the whole thing. But I was thinking that even though I like the new tracks, none of them scream "hit single" to me at all.

beachdude likes this.
  4. My big problem with "Shame Shame" is that is doesn't have much of a chorus. "No Son of Mine" is at least a ripper. Does the rest of the album sound like any of the singles, stylistically or lyrically? (Not that I've ever really come to them for lyrical genius.)

phaynes12 likes this.
  5. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Some similarities in the title track to "Shame Shame", but it does have a stronger chorus. Would've made a great single, though I love "Shame Shame" too and see why they chose it.

beachdude likes this.
  6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

After 2 listens, my only issue with the album is the sequencing.

7. Onlyadirector Jan 19, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2021)
    Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

Really enjoying this album. So much fun. Shame Shame is a lot better in the context of the album, not sure why they chose it for the lead single though. Holding Poison reminds me of early Foo in all the best ways.

beachdude likes this.
  8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I'm pretty immediately liking this opener more than anything on Concrete & Gold.

9. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

I did not care much for this first listen. very indifferent production and the songs are very repetitive for a sub-40 minute album

really hope it grows on me - "No Son of Mine" wrecks for sure

10. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

Would anyone be willing to PM me a link? Both of the links on my go-to site are down and obviously KL is no more :(

Thanks in advance!

beachdude likes this.
  11. Jim

Trusted Supporter

initially I like this more than the previous two

beachdude likes this.
  12. JM95

Trusted

I don't like much on here but Making A Fire is really good.

Dave's voice on Love Dies Young is really comparable to his softer melodic sound from the early FF days. I dig that.

13. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

The released songs are better in context of the album. I enjoyed the album more than I thought I would on first listen. I still prefer FF to be a little more rippin' and roarin' though.

Wasting Light :heart:

Edit: I jammed to my FF playlist on my morning run today. I'm still convinced "My Hero" is one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

phaynes12, beachdude and Contender like this.
  15. abw123

Trusted

I have a buddy who swears everyone is EITHER a My Hero guy, or an Everlong guy

I’m a Monkey Wrench guy personally

beachdude and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  16. "Everlong" may be my favorite radio rock single of all time

Jackbo487 and JM95 like this.
  17. abw123

Trusted

Everlong is inarguably great but I feel like I’ve heard it a zillion times so it places 3rd of those 3 singles for me. My Hero rules too

18. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Craig is one of my favorite music critics, very interested to hear his thoughts!

19. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

I prefer Monkey Wrench over Everlong, but Everlong takes the cake for one of the best music videos ever.

beachdude likes this.
  20. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

cherub rock cmon

abw123 likes this.
  21. I purposely said favorite and not best

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. MLeonard Jan 21, 2021
    (Last edited: May 14, 2021)
    MLeonard

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

24. Zilla Jan 23, 2021
    (Last edited: Jan 23, 2021)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

After listening to it a few times, I think it’s like all of their post-“Wasting Light” albums - another legacy act release that won’t stand out in their larger canon of work. But it’s fine.

I think Greg Kurstin is a great producer and is pushing them to do different stuff, like adding the cowbell and kind of bouncier rhythms to some of the songs. But Dave almost immediately falls back to the Foo sound and formula by the chorus. I wish he would figure out how to write a chorus again that’s not just repeating the title of the song.

That said, “Making A Fire” might be one of their best openers of all time and “Love Dies Young” is a great closer even though it’s repetitive as hell. The singles definitely work better in context.

morken, Onlyadirector and JM95 like this.
  25. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I actually really dig it. It feels looser and refreshing. Also not overlong like quite a bit of their albums.

beachdude likes this.