Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Film Festivals 2020 (online, or otherwise)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by riotspray, Oct 6, 2020.

1. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

OhTheWater likes this.
  2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

3. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Good shit, this is really cool

riotspray likes this.
  5. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Do you have any suggestions on any of the stuff playing at Nightstream (or any upcoming online fests)? Probably just going to splurge and do the 10 ticket pack, but have no clue what to pick outside of Mandibles. Would have loved to see Run but it's already past.

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I quickly looked and didn’t land on anything but ill check again

riotspray likes this.
  7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Montana Film Festival happening now

riotspray likes this.
  8. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Just a word to the wise. Some of the films at certain festivals are "geo-locked" depending on the film/location/premiere date.

OhTheWater likes this.
  9. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

10. username

hey you lil piss baby

Already did TIFF and another local Ontario festival + miscellaneous films from other festivals where I’ve gotten around the restrictions

For Canadian folks, Festival du nouveau cinema is running now until October 31

Festival du nouveau cinéma | Home

AGH in Ontario starting October 16 until the 25th

Watch Films Here! | AGHFF 2020

I’ve seen quite bit from both line ups and they’re both really strong. Willing to offer up recommendations if anyone is looking (this goes for other fests too, since there’s a lot of crossover on all these online line ups).

riotspray likes this.
  11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Yes any recs would be great. Also any tips on getting around the geo restrictions. I tried watching something from the Vancouver Film Festival and even with my VPN set to a Canadian IP, I still couldn't watch.

12. username

hey you lil piss baby

It's pretty hit or miss since there's so many variables. I had no luck getting around Vancouver (it was locked to BC, not all of Canada) or NYFF. My best results have been with like mid-level European festivals.

Looking through the links you posted, I can vouch for Mandibules, which is very funny with the exception of a few thinks I found distasteful. Dupieux is one of the best comedic filmmakers around.

Chicago has one of the more comprehensive line ups I've seen. A lot of my favourites from this year are playing there. Undine, The Woman Who Ran, Preparations to Be Together for an Unknown Period of Time, Days. Guess it depends on what kind of film you're looking for, but this line up is great if you're looking for "international" "art" cinema. 56th Chicago International Film Festival - All Films

riotspray likes this.
  13. riotspray Oct 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 10, 2020)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Will definitely check out what the Chicago fest has to offer.

Have you happened to see anything playing at Nightstream?

14. username

hey you lil piss baby

Other than Mandibules, just Ema and Black Bear. Big fan of Ema, Black Bear is worth a watch too. Honestly, I don’t follow genre cinema closely so a lot of this line up is more unknown to me compared to more general festivals.

riotspray likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

How sensitive are the sites to VPNs? I haven’t tried yet

16. username

hey you lil piss baby

It’s all over the place since the geo-blocking can range from state/province to handful of states/provinces to nationwide. Plus there’s a handful of different platforms that are being used, which all have their own security. When I was trying for NYFF it refused at the level of payment because it could sense my VPN but some Euro festivals using the same platform I’ve had no issue getting by. For VIFF (using a different platform) it didn’t catch it until I tried to play the film, after passing payment.

OhTheWater likes this.
  17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Planned on doing Mandibules. Watched Black Bear a couple days ago. Didn't love it, but it was decent. I already have Ema on my hard drive so I'm gonna watch that after the fest ends and I've caught up.

18. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I can tell you that if it's part of Eventive, you won't be able to get around the geo-blocking with a VPN. Some others, maybe.

OhTheWater likes this.
  19. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Anyone in the US, the Hampton’s Film Festival has tickets for virtual screenings of Minari (a three hour window starting today at 3) and Nomadland (this one expires on Wednesday). They have plenty of other talked about movies as well, but I’m gonna watch those two tonight and I’m very excited!

Hamptons International Film Festival : MINARI

riotspray likes this.
  20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

"Mandibules" ruled

So did "Dinner in America"

21. PatRFinley

Early Onset Grump LFGM Supporter

Wow what an incredible day of movies. Minari absolutely blew me away and Nomadland was so beautiful and touching.

22. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

shit, nomadland sold out

riotspray likes this.
  23. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Anyone know if it's playing any other online festivals?

24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

okay, NOW it doesn't say sold out but when i try to add a ticket to the cart it says "your cart is empty :("

anyone else having similiar problems

25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

oh shit nvm i'm in, just seemed to be having problems w/ chrome

riotspray likes this.