Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Entertainment Forum General Chat Thread • Page 120

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Roseanne's views on spanking in the revival are so upsetting like NO THAT IS NOT HOW ROSEANNE CONNOR FELT ABOUT SPANKING. THERE ARE EPISODES ADDRESSING THIS. I am not even watching it and it is still upsetting me!

cybele likes this.
  2. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

After much deliberation, I just bought a Filmstruck + Criterion Channel subscription. I was so ready to go with Mubi, which I’ve had in the past and loved, but it was too hard to ignore Filmstruck’s catalogue, especially with the Criterion Channel. I’ll probably get Mubi again at some point though because their curation really is a great way to discover movies and directors I might not hear of otherwise.

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not sure about e-ticketing, but we have a Moviepass thread here on Chorus. People may be able to help better in there. Also, the subreddit can be pretty helpful too.

Kellan likes this.
  4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

When you look at the theaters in the app, the e-ticketing ones will have a picture of a ticket stub next to them.

Kellan likes this.
  5. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

coleslawed likes this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Kiana likes this.
  8. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I want as many people as possible to see this tiny movie, Minding the Gap, a coming of age skateboarding drama and the debut of Bing Liu. It's premiering at the Freep Film Festival here next week, check for screenings near you because I have no idea what kind of distribution it will get.

See the film

9. Gonna try to see this in a week at CIFF on your recommendation. Will report back if I'm successful

Nathan likes this.
  10. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

hearing your praise for this gives me hope. “coming of age skateboard drama” usually comes out pretty cheesy, either with non-actor skaters pulling the drama down, or totally out of place stand-ins for the on-board action. gonna try to catch this at the local film fest.

11. Dog with a Blog

Lol, ever see Wassup Rockers? That’s the only coming of age skateboard drama I could think of and it’s awful

suicidesaints likes this.
  12. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Paterno on HBO. Meh well that was quite disappointing. I'll echo what one critic said how it seemed like an excuse to have Al Pacino wear makeup and shuffle around in pajamas.

13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'll echo what I said about it - why the fuck are we making a Paterno movie

14. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

why wouldn't they?

15. This could be cool. Cameron's documentary/interview series about the sci-fi genre.

16. suicidesaints likes this.
  17. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I have mixed feelings, Cannes is snooty but Netflix also dumps movies and I think all movies should have at least some theatrical release, I feel like it's less of an experience watching it at home

coleslawed likes this.
  19. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I almost exclusively watch movies at home and don't think something like the Meyerowitz Stories would benefit in any way from being seen on a big screen, honestly. I don't want to contribute to the death of cinema but with changing models, you can't devalue a work of art because it doesn't play by the existing rules and chooses a mode of distribution that actively benefits the people that want to see it (aka me)

But I'm pretty flexible on this if anybody wants to change my mind

suicidesaints likes this.
  20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I think any movie of any scale, whether a small, human drama or a huge blockbuster or a 70mm work from an auteur or a raunchy R rated comedy, is benefited from being screened in a theater. A darkened room where you can't pause, look at your phone, leave the room without missing something, all that focuses your attention in a way that you just don't have to make yourself do if you watch a movie at home. It doesn't change the quality, but I think it aids the experience overall. I also think an appreciative or engaged audience can enhance a viewing experience as well, feeling the energy of the crowd during Magic Mike XXL, Black Panther, and A Quiet Place was a layer of enjoyment for those movies that I couldn't get if I watched them alone on my TV or computer. That said, I wouldn't be hardlined to say that Netflix movies aren't real movies or anything.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

Over the years I have evolved from driving over two hours to see a film to waiting for something to come out on home release even though it is nearby. It just isn't worth the time or the money at this point in my life, especially as the theater experience has gotten worse with a half hour of ads and the sound from the latest Transformers movie bleeding into the theater for the quiet drama. I have a 55 inch 4K television, so we are not talking about VHS tapes and 4:3 televisions anymore. Netflix has released a lot of garbage, but that isn't the stuff that is going to Cannes anyway. Mudbound and the Meyerowitz movie were very strong last year, and they will continue to put out good content.

Joel likes this.
  22. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I get this and don't disagree really, but I seem to piss like a racehorse in the most inconvenient of times so
    I often run out of the theatre at least once in a film's runtime. I also find that other people's reactions often influence my own so I prefer screening things I'm looking forward to myself. All that being said, going to the cinema is really culturally important and for most a pertinent part of the experience of seeing something and I recognize that.

Really though, whether I watch a film at home or in a darkened room with a crowd, that doesn't really speak to the quality as much as it does how effective it is in a particular setting. Many classic films will never be seen by someone of my age demographic on a big screen and that doesn't really speak to the quality. Whether I watched Meyerowitz in a cinema or in the comfort of my home shouldn't really speak to its validity, but it does raise a question of the culture at large which is worth discussion

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I def tune out more watching at home even with something like Meyerowitz or Mudbound or Okja, I understand why people want to watch at home and like what Amazon does where they give it theatrical release but then put it free streaming on Prime eventually, it's hard to gauge how much they get a new audience and how much it's like oh cool a new movie but also 5 other movies and TV shows

24. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah that is fair too, if it's something I'm really excited about I leave my phone out of reach but if it's more casual I get distracted veeeery easily. Idk, the distribution model seems to be changing and I sincerely hope the idea of going to the movies never goes away, but if Netflix wants to put out a movie by other means that has artistic merit I am pretty opposed to it being excluded from a shot at prestigious honours

Idk it's not something I'm that passionate about really but I do find it really interesting that something that is by all measures a film is not worthy of consideration due to how it was put out for public consumption

Perhaps a poor analogy but it reminds me of how some publications won't acknowledge a mixtape on their EOTY lists

25. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Anybody else ever watch this show as a kid or was it just me?
    [​IMG]

Dog with a Blog and coleslawed like this.