Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Emery - White Line Fever (June 5, 2020) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Black Parade, Apr 8, 2020.

1. I agree with those remarks despite liking the album. I feel like they're due for a slight switch up in sound. I have no idea what I want from them in 2020 though, to be honest. Not to say they've exhausted their creativity, but I wonder if I'll ever be blown away by an entire Emery album again.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. xthricex

Regular

If there was ever an Emery b-side album this would be it. Can’t say I’d recommend them collecting songs for an album again by writing separate EPs and then calling it an album. It definitely shows these songs were not thought through together when listened as a whole. However, I can’t say it’s a bad album, but makes me wonder if they have anything left with the Emery sound after this? This and Eve don’t have a huge lasting impact. I like a few songs on this but I listened to TWNA like 500 times that year by comparison.

3. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I wonder if trying to put out an album a year is actually a good strategy for them musically?

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Lucas27

Trusted

I like this quite a bit better than Eve after revisiting Eve. I think it's very solid. I'm a huge fan of the indie rock emphasis on this thing. I'm not sure it lives up to their best work (In Shallow Seas, You Were Never Alone, The Question), but it might end up being close behind. "Make Yourself Sick" is phenomenal.

On a separate note, did a discography run and I'm kind of shocked at how well We Do What We Want has held up. I've always loved everything on the album up to I'm Not Here for Rage (which is low key one of their best songs), and then it drops off. But I actually found myself loving how the album winds down on this most recent listen. I'm actually not sure there's anything I don't like about it now.

I also feel like I'm Only a Man really clicked with me for the first time. The Weak's End and Eve really stuck out to me as their weakest albums, but even those are strong in their own rights. Emery is just solid.

5. chhholly123

i’ve been meaning to tell you

Did anyone watch the stream last night? My power went out so I couldn’t catch it, but the new song in their insta stories sounds dope.

6. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

This Town is my least favorite opener by them and it's not even close. This album feels like a b-sides collection.

disambigujason likes this.
  7. aspeedomodel

After, two full listens I honestly don't think I like this album much at all. Truly feels like b-sides, an after thought. Most songs are fine at best. Worst opener ever for the band and the album just doesn't have much punch or emotion, I feel.

I feel like they need to shake-up how the write songs and who is primary songwriter. Matt should not produce their music anymore, in my opinion.

8. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Who produced Eve? I feel like that album was stronger than this album in nearly every way.

contra11mundum likes this.
  9. Gooddayz

always and forever

I've only heard this twice so far, but yeah this sounds pretty hollow and streamlined. Nothing really sticks out and now I'm putting on Eve and it's better in every way. Vocal melodies, instrumentation, I'm kinda wondering what happened here. I loved Eve and felt like they had good potential to keep moving forward with that sound.

10. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

11. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

coleslawed and awakeohsleeper like this.
  12. Yeah I have to say I'm not a fan of the dry production they've been using in their recent stuff but it's probably not realistic to ask them to go back to Aaron Sprinkle either, money wise. I wonder what producer they could go with if Matt steps out of that role.

disambigujason likes this.
  13. The Black Parade likes this.
  14. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

This was the text that accompanied that video if anyone didn't read/see it:

15. I've barely come back to this album since the leak. I loved Eve, a bit disappointed in how lackluster this is. They just need to get really bold with their sound or write some solid riffs and hooks - this album really lacks on both sides. It's definitely not bad in any meaning of the word, just not memorable.

16. Mustache_Band

I'm loving this album.

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Not bad...

18. aspeedomodel

I've been listening to their discography a lot these last few days and have concluded this is indeed my least favorite of theirs.

I also realized that while I love a lot of the songs, Weak's End is NOT their best album nor my favorite anymore. They really have an amazing discography.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I just re-listened to The Weak's End yesterday (amazingly, for the first time since 2018 - this fact blew my mind) and I had the same conclusion. It's not been my favourite for a while, but it was the first time where I was listening and enjoying it from a nostalgic point of view, whereas before the enjoyment came from the fact that it was a great debut.

aspeedomodel likes this.
  20. aspeedomodel

Yup, I hadn't listened in even longer! I think the real eye-opener was listening to The Question first and realizing it is without a doubt a better album haha. Then I listened to Weak's End sort of knowing my love was mostly nostalgic.

Was surprised how much I loved We Do What We Want. Album is so underrated..

21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

They really made me forgot this was a Saosin song. The dual vocals fit so well.

22. latortuga

Regular

Not sure where to post this but Emery have been working on a remake of I'm Only a Man and the remakes sound absolutely amazing.

IOAM Pre-Order — Emery

Gooddayz likes this.
  23. Gooddayz

always and forever

Wow that was stellar. Making me wanna do a discography run now, it's been a while.

latortuga likes this.
  24. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

There were some details revealed for this year's album on a recent BC podcast. Seems like an interesting idea. The title has also been revealed to the Emeryland community.

I've created a new thread.