Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Dub/Reggae Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by PauLo, Jul 8, 2020.

1. PauLo

43% Burnt

Just been listening to some Scientist and wanted to share how good he is.

I prefer dub over reggae because I prefer instrumentals and I love all the little sounds and effects the best dub artists come up with. My favourite is probably Mad Professor, but i've only really scratched the surface.

2. Those are genres I could use some recommendations for. I remember spinning Roots Manuva a lot at one point, but it had more ties to hip-hop than dub perhaps? It must have been a decade so my memory is blurry.

3. PauLo

43% Burnt

Sorry, didn’t realise someone actually replied! Roots Manuva definitely has dub influences, but I’d say he’s more hip hop, yeah.

I’m still new to a lot of it too, so I’m slowly making my way through the stuff I find. Big fan of Scientist, Mad Professor and The Revolutionaries so far. Still need to dig into more stuff by legends like Lee “Scratch” Perry and Prince Jammy.

Crisp X likes this.
  4. PauLo

43% Burnt

Talking of Prince Jammy...

5. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Rediscovered this after not having heard it for about a decade. Still killer.

"Mi know seh you fed up/
    Jah jah will guide you foreva"

Also I made this thread a few years ago, which at the time I also meant to include reggae and dancehall:

African and Caribbean Music • forum.chorus.fm

6. PauLo

43% Burnt

I never did. And now he’s no longer with us…

Spending the rest of the day listening to him. RIP.

jdr2187 likes this.
  7. jdr2187

jdr2187

Been really enjoying this one lately.