Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

African and Caribbean Music Genre

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by The Lucky Moose, Jan 15, 2018.

1. The Lucky Moose Jan 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Feb 26, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Decided to make this thread.

African And Caribbean Music is obviously a very broad and undefined classification that includes everything from traditional African music to dancehall (which has been my main entry point), but otherwise we'd have countless inactive threads rather than just one.

It can be location based, but it doesn't have to be given the huge diasporas and growing influence of the music. For example, lot of multilingual, Caribbean-leaning music is being made where I live, in the Netherlands, because of its large diasporas. Also, there is some crossover with "Latin music", especially in "Caribbean music". So, theoretically a dancehall song from Germany is just as much at home here as a throwback New York-style rap song from a Nigerian rapper. If you think it might fit, post it.

A lot of the genres that fall under this can be hard to get into because they're not really album genres and it's difficult to keep up with all the stuff that is coming out because the dedicated websites are uncommon and often pretty bad. I'm not an expert by any means, but I probably listen to slightly more (contemporary) music that fits this description than a lot of people here, so I'll occasionally share some stuff.

A very recent, well known track that I like, just to get things started:

A good, weekly playlist curated by Okayplayer's sister site Okayafrica:

azzy01, skogsraet and Cody like this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

OotyPa likes this.
  3. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I'm here and ready to listen!!

4. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Couple things I’ve been digging lately

The Lucky Moose and Kiana like this.
  5. The Lucky Moose

Really nice. This is the kind of stuff I don't know much about, so that's cool.

6. The Lucky Moose Jan 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 15, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I just saw that this year they put out a official version of one of the songs from last year that I posted above. There's a Spanish version too.

A lot was written about this song last year.

7. Horrorca

Trusted

this is one of the most beautiful records I own - it's a treasure:

and well you all need Fela in yr life:

skogsraet, Kiana and The Lucky Moose like this.
  8. The Lucky Moose Jan 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 21, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

I love this song:

This one has a cool video:

9. azzy01

Regular

Cool didn't know the reach of these genres. I'm from the Caribbean, btw lol

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  10. The Lucky Moose

Feel free to correct me whenever I misrepresent things, like I said I'm not an expert haha. Unless of course you don't follow Carribean music, I mean I'm Swiss and I don't know shit about most Swiss music lmao

azzy01 and CarpetElf like this.
  11. cshadows2887 Jan 21, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Subbing. All I know from Africa is Lokua Kanza, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Ali Farka Toure and Fela Kuti. But I like what I've heard from all 4 of those.

Not sure what counts as Caribbean. Jamaican? Cuban? Either way, here for album recs.

12. The Lucky Moose Jan 22, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 22, 2018)
    The Lucky Moose

Jamaica certainly does count. Jamaican genres have a huge influence on on a lot of contemporary African and Caribbean music. Cuba is maybe a different story because people generally agree that Cuban music is Latin music. Since we have a Latin music thread however I'd probably post Cuban music there, but you can post it here. Like I said, it's vague.

For example, Suriname, a small country and a former Dutch colony with a lot of ties to the Netherlands still, is on the northeastern coast of South America, but is culturally Carribean and one of the reasons Caribbean music is so big in the Netherlands.

"Suriname is considered to be a culturally Caribbean country, and is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). While Dutch is the official language of government, business, media, and education,[12]Sranan, an English-based creole language, is a widely used lingua franca."

13. The Lucky Moose

So yeah this is a thing.

14. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Only thing I've been familiar with so far. Really dig it. Will be checking out a lot more when I get off work.

15. The Lucky Moose

16. The Lucky Moose

17. The Lucky Moose Feb 15, 2018
    The Lucky Moose

18. The Lucky Moose

New official Spotify playlist, curated by Okayafrica.

19. The Lucky Moose Feb 26, 2018
    The Lucky Moose

-

I like this one

-

Also great

-

This is pretty interesting

-

-

for the rap fans
    Stogie T Ft. Mike Classic - Honey And Pain

-

Faith

20. The Lucky Moose Feb 26, 2018
    The Lucky Moose

Ibeyi: Tiny Desk Concert

-

I like this

-

-

this is a cool song, plus:

-

-

This is a Nigerian gqom song, which is "a style of house music that emerged a decade into the 21st century from the city of Durban in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa". Gqom is currently taking over the African continent as well as parts of Europe.

-

feel good
    Ma Booi, by Montess, Cameroon

-

great song and video
    Sean Tizzle - Kpro Kpro (official video)

-

this guy might have watched too many R. Kelly videos but the song is good
    Mr. P - My Way (Official Video)

_

new heat by multilingual Carribean-Dutch group SFB, currently one of the biggest groups in the country. I like this one a lot.

SFB - One Time ft. Ronnie Flex (prod. Jack $hirak)

-
    Also, Bad Gyal, the Catalan dancehall prodigy, put out an album and I highly recommend it. I also made a thread: Album - Bad Gyal - Worldwide Angel (February 23, 2018)

21. The Lucky Moose

"American musician Aaron Spectre turns up the volume with four tracks of jungle punk rock intensity, continuing his mission of uniting cultures at their roots. Here we have four tunes of guitar, relentless amens, deep bass, and soulful soundclash vocals, ready to rumble your space of choice. Also on the menu is a collaboration with fellow ragga junglist FeyDer, rounding out a brilliant EP which inspires and shakes foundations."

22. azzy01

Regular

Only now seeing this , since coming on this thread for the first time since before.
    I don't really follow it now, but used to when I was younger and even now it's pretty difficult to avoid, cuz it plays everywhere from public transport to the stores, radio and even roadsides.

Caribbean music is really diverse, because each island usually puts their own spin on each genre ( think of it like west coast and east coast rap , minus the beefing) . Also there's various genres , so you have dancehall, soca, calypso, chutney and reggae to name the main ones.

Each island would also have a more popular genre for example jamaica is really into dancehall and reggae while Trinidad and Tobago ( where I'm from is more known for creating soca)

And as u previously stated there is a strong Latin influence, but it doesnt crossover much anymore.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or thoughts. Check out Machel Montana if you haven't before ( he's probably the most popular soca artist from the Caribbean)

23. The Lucky Moose

I know I’ve let you all down but I haven’t had the time to keep up with a lot of music. Anyway, this song is amazing.

24. The Lucky Moose

25. audienceofone

A playlist of songs I frequently heard on my travels through Africa, mostly South African and Swahili (Tanzania).