Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Comic Books Comic Book • Page 401

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Creator-owned tokusatsu-inspired superhero series, from the writer of Boom’s Power Rangers comics & Marvel’s Ultraman miniseries. Protagonist is a struggling 30-yr-old who had to move back in with his parents & works in the gig economy.

Kinda tempted to jump on this when it launches in February. Looking at solicits, the only February comic I’m getting from the Big 2 is an issue of New Mutants, so it’ll be a good month to give a new series a shot.

bodkins likes this.
  2. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

Finally made my way through Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run. I also read Marc Guggenheim's adaptation of Stephen King's N which was a fun little read.

I haven't been making it through too many comics lately due to an increase in work, but I'd love to read something soon that isn't necessarily for my podcast. I have Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe if anyone has some suggestions! Or I could just read the stuff on my shelf that has gone unread for quite some time :crylaugh:

3. Tim

An episode of Disney+’s Marvel 616 is apparently a documentary on how to make a comic... using Dan Slott’s Iron Man 2020 #1. And, it sounds wild, especially if you know Slott & his reputation.

Thread:

Fuck The Mandalorian; this is the first thing I’d watch if I had Disney+. No wonder Slott’s best work was Silver Surfer, where he had Mike Allred to carry him. (Likewise for the highs of his Spidey work & the artists during those highs.)

4. Colby Searcy

Is admired for his impeccable (food) tastes Prestigious

What is Slott's reputation??

5. Tim

Mediocre writer. Absolute garbage with deadlines. Wastes too much time on social media, searching his name & getting into arguments with fans & critics.

Hilarious that this dropped the same week as an issue of Fantastic Four he got roasted for, because it seemingly revealed Franklin Richards was never really a mutant & just subconsciously pretending to be one to be cool. What an asshat, lol. No idea how he held onto Amazing Spider-Man for a decade, got to relaunch Fantastic Four, & co-wrote Marvel’s last “big” “event” (which I don’t think many people actually read).

6. Colby Searcy

Wasn't his Spider-man run well regarded??

I remember liking some of his DC work don't remember what it was though

7. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, Slott is hit or miss for me, but when he hits he's alright - I liked his post-One More Day ASM, and didn't he do a lot of Initiative stuff after Civil War? I remember liking that one series about the academy of new registered heroes or whatever. But yeah, when he's off it's... meh.

8. Dodge725

Trusted

Tim would know more about Slott’s Spider-Man run than me, but my biggest issues with it were: it seemed to be just events after events (Spider-Island, Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Verse, Clone Conspiracy, etc) and it took Peter to places beyond the level of where I think he works best. He’s great as the friendly neighborhood Spidey dealing with New York and his set of villains, but making him an international hero/businessman/multiversal defender was too much for my liking. When it’s good it’s really good, but it’s sometime too big for its own good.

9. Colby Searcy

I’ve been reading my son these 5 minutes Spider-Man stories and it’s made me interested in checking out some Spidey stories. What are some of the best Spidey stories?

Also I’ve been eyeing BMB Invincible Iron Man is that any good?

10. Tim

I’ll say this about Slott’s ASM: It was constant events & super uneven, but particularly in the back half, there was some interesting stuff in some of those events. (Doesn’t hurt that he had people like Marcos Martín, Jim Cheung, Stuart Immonen, Olivier Coipel, & Adam Kubert helping him out along the way.) The current Nick Spencer run has cranked out a ton of material without accomplishing much better than a wet fart.

But, yeah, Slott will have fun ideas sometimes... but, as a writing talent, or as an actual working professional? Not good. I still remember Silver Surfer taking forever to finish, which apparently wasn’t just Allred needing a lot of time to draw it but also just Slott being lazy. It’s truly baffling that he still gets monthly comics work.

11. Tim

The first post of the Spider-Man general discussion thread has a ton of recommendations in the first post (which, looking now, probably needs updates a little). There’s a list of good classic trades in chronological order, followed by a list of modern jumping on points & some good spin-offs.

I’d say, if you want one simple, standalone, quintessentially Spider-Man comic as a gateway, I gotta recommend Spider-Man: Blue (by the Batman: Long Halloween team of Loeb & Sale). Classic characters, classic status quo, etc.

If you like 80s comics, knowing how much you like Batman, I’d also recommend Kraven’s Last Hunt, which is always towards the top of best Spidey story lists (& deservedly so).

As for the Bendis Iron Man... Depends who you ask. I personally thought the first volume of Invincible Iron Man by Bendis & Marquez was a very fun superhero comic w/ some stellar art. If you’re just generally interested in Iron Man, though, I’ve heard very good things about the current series by Christopher Cantwell, which I believe is just a few issues in.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  12. Tim

Read Annihilator, the 2014 miniseries by Grant Morrison & Frazer Irving.

Good book. Weird book. So, a Grant book, lol. It’s apparently directly inspired by actual people they interacted with in Hollywood; you cannot convince me that the scumbag protagonist isn’t specifically 100% Max Landis. He’s writing a screenplay while dealing with a brain tumor, when the sci-fi antihero of his screenplay shows up, who needs the screenplay finished so he can remember what happened to him. I’m hit or miss on Frazer Irving’s art, but if you like it and/or Grant being Grant, & this one slid under your radar, check it out.

Also halfway through Trung Le Nguyen’s graphic novel The Magic Fish, which is likely to be my favorite comic of 2020, but I’ll save those thoughts for when I finish it. If you’ve seen the gorgeous art of “Trungles” online, though, & didn’t know he made a graphic novel, check it out!

13. Colby Searcy

Just read Crossover and that was fantastic.

Sad to hear Donny's story at the end about dying, anybody know what happened??

Vivatoto likes this.
  14. Tim

His first near death experience, which I heard him describe in an interview a while ago, was related to struggles with addiction. I don’t recall if he’s talked about what the second situation was.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  15. Colby Searcy

Thanks! He said he's talked about it on podcasts just wasn't sure what podcast or where exactly to look.

16. Tim

He doesn’t actually go that deep into specifics, but it’s part of his backstory as he tells it here (from like 2 or so years ago):

Talksplode #78 – Donny Cates

Colby Searcy likes this.
  17. Colby Searcy

Just listened to this and now I just want to read all his books

Tim likes this.
  18. Furry Werthers

Trusted

The Other History of the DC Universe's Black Lightning issue is *so good*. Really impressed.

19. Tim

Me: “Witchblade is a super nostalgic comic, but it’s also kinda bad in certain ways & doesn’t hold up.”

Used copy of Witchblade compendium, collecting issues 1-50: $29.99

Me: “...shit. Fine. Why not.”

20. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I read through all of Witchblade last year I think, The early stuff was hard to get through but the Stjepan Šejić era is incredible. And the new one is pretty good, hope it comes back.

21. Tim

The shitty early Witchblade is what interests me most, tbh, mainly due to my nostalgic love of the late Michael Turner. I appreciate the talented artists who’ve worked to make something more legitimate out of the property, but if it’s not 90s schlock for teen boys, is it even Witchblade?

Anyways, on a more interesting note... Finally got the last issue of Ann Nocenti’s Daredevil (largely drawn by John Romita Jr). Think I’m gonna let that, 90s Milestone Media stuff, & some Morrison stuff here & there dominate my comics reading for the next couple months. (Along with Trungles’ The Magic Fish, & maybe hitting some Jaime Hernandez again, too.)

22. Tim

This is a really good video about mature superheroes (both in comics & in other media). Contains an interview with classic comics writer Gerry Conway, & also makes good use of works & quotes by Alan Moore.

Deanna likes this.
  23. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

I need to watch this when I'm not busy editing. I heard about him when Finn had him as a guest on The Punk Rock MBA and his videos are crazy good.

24. Dodge725

Trusted

Really liked the end of X of Swords. It’s was a cool event but I’m excited to get back into the normal books and each of the stories they were telling or will tell now with some of the new changes.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  25. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yeah, I found the ending satisfying. The event wasn't what I expected and by the middle I was a little... apprehensive, but that was a pretty well stuck landing IMO.