Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Coheed and Cambria - Vaxis - Act I: The Unheavenly Creatures (October 5, 2018) Album • Page 62

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Jun 22, 2018.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I just finished going through this band's discography for the first time after only really knowing the big songs (Welcome Home, The Suffering, Running Free, etc) and damn I'm blown away. I read all of the lyrics and annotations on Genius as I listened and I had no idea the story went so deep; I knew all of their albums were chapters in a big sci-fi epic but I didn't know just how intricate it was. Insanely fun to listen to and dive into for the first time

How were the Afterman records received by the fanbase generally though? I fucking loved both of those, and it actually may have been my favorite part story-wise. So glad I finally decided to fully check these guys out regardless

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

who gives a shit about this sites list lol

3. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

Both were considered to be a return to form or at least very close to it after NWFT and YOTBR. I think Descension is preferred by most, but they're generally both well liked.

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Afterman albums are near perfect

Lazarus likes this.
  5. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Afterman 1 is pretty good but 2 is fantastic

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Afterman is perfectly in the middle of their discography. Some of it was their best work in 5 years, some of it just didn’t work.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  7. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

you could make their best album with tracks from both

8. sukottokairu

Regular

i love the afterman and it makes me super sad that they haven't been playing many songs from those albums on the last couple tours. maybe they needed a break from it after touring those albums a lot, or maybe they don't get as much of a crowd response as the older stuff. but, i think the two albums combined is a masterpiece. although i'd probably rearrange the tracks a bit, it can flow a little weird at times.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I just listened to both Afterman albums right in a row without stopping and it was a great experience

Number City is catchy af

10. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Fuck. Unheavenly Creatures is an incredible album. First listen in months and I'm loving every second.

Got the vinyl a month or two back and haven't even opened it. Really need to toss it on the turntable soon

11. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

chewbacca110 likes this.
  12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Afterman albums highlights were great but a lot of it was too safe

Evagria, Number City, 2s my Favorite 1, all top notch Coheed

Domino, Dark Side of Me, The Hard Sell, all Coheed-by-numbers

To me the real return to form was The Unheavenly Creatures. Been waiting for an album that massive since Good Apollo 1

13. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Domino is a titan

sophos34, amorningofsleep and Joe4th like this.
  14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Personally I find it pales in comparison to their other opening jams, IKS, Welcome Home, NWFT, The Dark Sentencer are all way better than Domino

On that note holy fuck is The Dark Sentencer a jam

15. sawhney[rusted]2

The Dark Sentencer is just a little too cheesy for me and one of their more lackluster openers. Too repetitive too

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Na

Pepetito, Joe4th and amorningofsleep like this.
  17. BTDandFeelingThis

Na Na Na Na WoooaAaaah

Sorry knee jerk reaction

inwaves and Cameron like this.
  18. sawhney[rusted]2

I think we can all agree this album is Claudio’s best vocal performance by far

19. BTDandFeelingThis

20. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

Bad Frequencies likes this.
  21. Lazarus

Drummer

I love both Afterman albums and if I view them both as one full project, like with Thrice’s Alchemy Index, it’s my second or third favorite full body of work from this band. A lot of those songs are among my top 20 or 25 Coheed songs

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Domino is a top 5 coheed song for me fam

23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Welcome (Home) to your new obsession.

Afterman was well received by most, especially coming off of YOTBR, seen as the low point of their discog by most (some would say TCBTS... they have a valid point too). They took a lot of time in between YOTBR and Afterman, Zach joined the band, Chris Pennie and Mic Todd left, so it was a rejuvenated Coheed for sure.

tdlyon likes this.
  24. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Openers, ranked (excluding acoustic/instrumentals)
    IKS
    NWFT
    The Dark Sentencer
    Welcome Home (most would scoff at this)
    Time Consumer
    The Broken (I have a soft spot for this one... doesn't get the love it deserves)
    Sentry
    Domino
    Island

Dang this band knows how to start albums.

25. musicfan10

Trusted

Sentry never gets enough love