Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Circa Survive Band • Page 75

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sophos, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

The opening run of Strange Terrain/Get Out/Glass Arrows is where it’s at

2. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

"Spirit of the Stairwell" is my favourite song by this band lol

skogsraet likes this.
  3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Any Circa ranking that doesn’t have OLG at #1 is wrong sorry!!!1

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

anthony

Ken likes this.
  5. phaynes12

get out of the paint and quit throwing elbows!

Ken likes this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this but #2 and unironically

7. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, I feel kinda weird about those two songs for that reason. I don't know the reason why Colin has only seemed to have written two Circa songs in almost their entirety (his demos are so close to the actual songs), both on BSN. As far as I know, he's never done it since?

Like, of course it makes sense in that it was a major label debut, and they needed catchy songs, but its weird that their two biggest singles weren't written by Anthony (either in lyrics or initial song idea too). Did he just go to the band one day and say "lads, Anthony can't write a catchy song, so I'm gonna do it".

Given how popular the songs were and are still in their sets, would've thought we'd hear more via him.

8. socklord

Trusted

Always weird to see people think the catchy, radio-friendly stuff on BSN is all because of Colin as if Anthony didn’t write massive hooks and catchy melodies on Juturna and OLG

Also, I Felt Free and Imaginary Enemy have been pretty absent from their sets since the Violent Waves album cycle. They haven’t played Imaginary Enemy since 2012/2013 and they played I Felt Free on their spring 2018 tour for the first time since 2013. Those two songs may have been singles, but Get Out, Glass Arrows, and TTDA have been mainstays in their setlists since the BSN album cylce. Strange Terrain and Frozen Creek have gotten a lot of play since 2014 as well.

Ken likes this.
  9. phaynes12

i mean there’s Juturna/OLG catchy, which is melodic, and then there’s BSN which is straight up top 40 hook shit

christsizedshoes likes this.
  10. socklord

Trusted

Maybe it’s not a case of “they needed catchy songs for their major label debut” and maybe they just liked those songs enough to put them on the record

11. christsizedshoes

Trusted

Get Out was the first single and I always thought actually got more mainstream(ish) attention than anything else on BSN, even the Colin songs

phaynes12 and trevorshmevor like this.
  12. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Get out should have been HUGE.

I've shown it to so many people, who aren't a fan of the scene, and they all love it. Honestly, it should have been everywhere.

13. socklord

Trusted

To my recollection, all of them were pretty quickly on and off the radio. I’m not even sure I ever heard I Felt Free on mainstream alternative radio aside from it playing in the background of a promotional bump for their tour with Anberlin in early 2011.

14. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

TTDA is easily my favorite on BSN. Anyway.

OLG > Amulet > BSN > Descensus> Juturna > VW

Y'all probably gonna hate on me for where Juturna is, I just don't really ever have a desire to listen to it like the others.

15. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

I always thought Imaginary Enemy was the lead single for that one. That's the one they played on late night anyway. Maybe Get Out was just released first, didn't realize it was a single. But I guess when you're on a major any time a new song comes out it's a single.

Either way I'm enjoying this discussion and find myself agreeing with a lot of people. Whoever said that album falls off until the closer is correct IMHO. But I think Dyed in the Wool is my favorite song on that album anyway.

16. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

Okay, the Safe Camp Sessions versions of Lustration and Stop the Fucking Car are great. That's all. Thank you for listening to my TedTalk.

kelseyduffy likes this.
  17. kelseyduffy

obliterate all prior things

i know it's a cop out but compendium into dyed in the wool is the best part of BSN. ST->GO->GA stretch also fucking slaps even though none of those songs individually rank very highly for me overall.

Get Out is a tremendous song, but it's a tremendous STUDIO song. It has never hit live for me. I hate when they close with it, very anti-climactic. I think Get Out served BSN very well and without it that album would be worthless. It's the lynchpin.

circa has been my favorite band for just so long that honestly BSN is fine. It doesn't do any violence to their overall aesthetic and it has some great songs that were put in the studio blender of death, but it baffles me when people use it as the representative template for the band. It's absolutely the black sheep outlier of their sound.

18. kelseyduffy

obliterate all prior things

also yeah every thing coming out of the patreon is solid gold. highly highly recommend at least second tier. it's like christmas in july.

19. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

agree the Patreon absolutely fucks.
    Love the alternate song versions and the covers.

podcast has been just alright. Feel like I’d like a little more conversation around albums / songs. Maybe with producers like the Underoath twitch vids.

20. bachna84

we are nothing more than mannequins Prestigious

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

The Difference Between Medicine and Poison is in the Brackets

bachna84 likes this.
  22. -deleted-

-

Lol.

beachdude and aoftbsten like this.
  23. jciswhatis

Ugh, I hate America. Supporter

This rules.

24. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

I hope they put their Patreon songs in a collection. Would love to own a formal album

25. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

What kind of songs they premiere over there? Just some b-sides? I only remember they advertised with a song called Metanoia, I think, which I actually haven't heard yet, not having too much money to join too many patreon deals etc., but let me know if it included some more tunes.